Last Share you Bought?

Options

Comments

• King_Weasel
    Options
    Last thing I bought was Standard Chartered, on 7th August. (Bad news day for them.)

Sold them on 8th August.

Could have made more if I'd waited, but happy enough with modest gain in 24 hours or less.
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    I hold some HEFT, which, as you say, has put on 20% or so over the summer. But the improving sentiment which has given rise to that, doesn't seem to be due to their particularly special eurozone stockpicks, in fact it's extremely correlated with the indexes which reflect appetite for equities in Western Europe generally.

Agreed entirely. I decided it was time to put more money into Europe and figured doing it via a heavily-discounted IT made a lot of sense.

I'm also over-weight in mid/small cap and have noted the rather pleasing gains on these (particularly FTSE 250) since the start of the year.

The last year has been rather flattering to anyone who decided to shovel the money in rather than sitting on the sidelines until everything looked rosy.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    bought was Standard Chartered, on 7th August. (Bad news day for them.)
    Sold them on 8th August.

Done similar with STAN, bought 7th Aug - sold on the 9th.
    Quick gain plus as an added bonus they went ex-div on the 8th.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • JonnyBravo
    JonnyBravo Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 24 September 2012 at 12:56PM
    Options
    JonnyBravo wrote: »
    So that was back at 34p
    Moving on up.
    >£50m market cap now.
    Funding secured for new plant so no dilution.
    Interims due next week.
    Possibly 50k oz/Au this year.

Me at 44p now
    > :)
    Me at 55p by yr end ----> :D
    Me at 66p next year ----> :j

Investors chronicle (Simon Thompson) now tipping them.

"I picked out Anglo Asian Mining in that aforementioned article as a way of leveraging off the money-printing actions of the major central banks and, if anything, the investment case is even stronger now with the gold price surging from $1622/oz to $1775/oz. The company is due to report half-year results shortly and I can only reiterate my previous advice that investors are being far too cautious. That's because the company is capitalised at only £50m which is miserly considering last year it made pre-tax profits of £20m from selling 49,304 ounces of gold at an average price of $1,573/oz and 34,593 ounces of silver at an average price of $35/oz. It's worth noting that the average gold price this year has been nearer $1,640/oz, and has risen dramatically in the past month, so it is reasonable to assume that Anglo Asian's average realised prices will be significantly higher, too, and so will profits.

That low valuation would be warranted if Anglo Asian had financial problems, but it doesn't as net assets of around £50m dwarf net debt of £2m, so the balance sheet is barely geared. True, borrowings are set to rise as the company has just secured a $60m (£37m) line of credit to fund the construction of an agitation leaching plant at its flagship Gedabek gold, copper and silver mine. However, the plant will improve gold recoveries - Gedabek produced over 57,000 ounces of gold last year - and commissioning is scheduled in the first half of 2013.

Priced on only 4.5 times post-tax historic earnings, Anglo Asian shares have potential to rocket back to last year's high of 80p, and a close above 48p - a level that has capped all rallies since June last year - would be a very strong signal that a major share price break-out is under way. I continue to rate the shares a strong buy, offering a potential 77 per cent upside to my year-end target price of 80p."

It's prompted a volume spike and a small price increase.
    No advice intended. Simply for discussion of course.
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 24 September 2012 at 2:28PM
    Options
    So an Al Qaeda gold mine is worth buying, I must have missed the point there. Does it save on security or something

I did wonder why AAZ would be 4.5PE That article doesnt say their cost price for gold. VGM was running 2000 an ounce last quarter apparently :eek:

Last share, XEL and PDL
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aviva - making assumptions on dividends should yield me about 8%
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • JonnyBravo
    JonnyBravo Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I did wonder why AAZ would be 4.5PE That article doesnt say their cost price for gold. VGM was running 2000 an ounce last quarter apparently :eek:

Under $500/oz last year.
  • King_Weasel
    Options
    marvin wrote: »
    Aviva - making assumptions on dividends should yield me about 8%

But how long will these dividends keep up?

When will the price stop falling?

I stopped buying Aviva a while back.
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Spoken like a true income investor! And the kicker is that reinvested dividends (at low prices, ideally!) over the decades is the big win.

Of course, many income investors are scared of subordinated financial debt, which is why it's such a bargain for those with a less emotional view of such matters.

Yep, that's definitely the plan. They're obviously committed to continuing paying the divis, mentioned something about it in the last annual report, and of course diluting the ordinaries. So I'm more than happy; if I had some spare cash I'd be buying more too.

Should double my money in about 8 years at this rate!
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JonnyBravo wrote: »
    Me too. Bought some at 9.77p this morning just in case of anything turning up next week. Clearly also what some other people thought this afternoon.
    The case for massive gains is gone now though IMO. Too many shares issued in the last year.

Nothing on the Admin. standing but price has held up. I'm not greedy about it, not desperate for a ten bagger or anything. I'd be happy doubling my money and treating myself (plus wench) to something nice tbh.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure