Household Uses Of Hydrogen Peroxide

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
16 replies 9.9K views
GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
18.7K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
I noticed that someone was asking how safe Hydrogen Peroxide was and I know we use it in the Hospital as a mouthwash, so I thought I'd try and find some more info to back me up and found all of these great uses for it on this site http://www.h2o2-4u.com/house.html

Mouthwash: Use 3% hydrogen peroxide for germicidal mouthwash and throat gargle. While cleansing the mouth and throat, it destroys the bad bacteria.  It also helps to clear up periodontal disease.  Watch how white your teeth become!

Toothpaste: Use baking soda and add enough 3% hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Or, just dip your brush in 3% hydrogen peroxide and brush.

Toothbrush: Soak your toothbrush in 3% hydrogen peroxide between brushings to kill bacteria and stop the passing of sickness to family members

Shower: Keep a spray bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the shower. Spray your body after washing to replace the acid mantel on your skin that soap removes.

Rejuvenating Detoxifying Bath: Add 6 ounces of 35% hydrogen peroxide to a tub of water. You may increase up to 2 cups. Soak at least 1/2 hour.

Alternate Bath: Add 1/2 cup 35% hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup sea salt, 1/2 cup baking soda or Epson salts to water and soak.

Foot soak: Add 1 & 1/2 ounces 35% hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon water and soak.

Wounds:   Use it in 3% grade in a spray bottle for cuts and sores.  Spray on frequently and watch them disappear.

Prevent ear infections: Pour a capful of 3% hydrogen peroxide in each of your ears after swimming to prevent ear infections.

Astringent:   Use 3% grade as an astringent on your face, neck and full body after bathing. Gets rid of acne FAST.

Athlete's Foot: Soak feet morning and night in 3% hydrogen peroxide until condition is improved.

In the dish wash/rinse water: Add 2 ounces  (or more) of 3% hydrogen peroxide to the regular washing formula to safely sanitize and eliminate the tranmission of colds and diseases.

Washing meat:  Use 3% hydrogen peroxide in chilled water for washing chicken or other poultry and beef or pork.

Cleansing for vegetables and salad greens: Add 1/4 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide to a sink full of cold water. Wash vegetables thoroughly, rinse with cold water and drain. This process prolongs freshness.

Leftover tossed salad: Spray with a solution of 1/2 cup water and 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. Drain, cover and refrigerate. Eliminates use of chemical preservatives.

Marinade: Place meat, fish or poultry in a casserole (avoid using aluminum pans). Cover with a diluted solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Place in a loosely covered container in refrigerator for 1/2 hour. Rinse and cook.

To freshen kitchen: Keep a spray bottle of 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide in the kitchen. Use to wipe off counter tops and appliances. It will disinfect and give the kitchen a clean, fresh small. Works great in the refrigerator and lunch boxes.

Humidifiers & steamers: Use 1 pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water. This helps keep them clean too.

Laundry: Add 8 ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide to your wash in place of bleaches.

Pets: For small animals (dogs and cats) use 1 ounce 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 quart water for their drinking water and bath.

House & Garden Plants: Put 1 ounce 3% hydrogen peroxide in 1-quart water. Water or mist plants with this solution.

Sprouting seeds: Add 1 ounce 3% hydrogen peroxide to one pint of water and soak the seeds overnight. Add the same amount of hydrogen peroxide each time you rinse the seeds.
STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Compers please read the Comping Guide

Replies

• MATHMATH Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking for something more multi-functional really!
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • cathy_3cathy_3 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    and dont forget

streaking your hair!!!

make sure its not 60 vol though or it will all fall out

;)

who was it I told to use the hydrogen peroxide on the stain on their cast Iron bath and it came off right away

thanks for that glad

will get using it more especially on the toofy peggies

which are going a bit darkish these days

:-X :-X
  • mmm, blonde streaks. what vol do you use for that cathy?
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mmm, blonde streaks. what vol do you use for that cathy?
    Sorry to butt in here, but just to say, i used 12% peroxide on my dark hair, but it only lifted it to a golden shade, if your hair is as dark as mine you will need to use bleach.
  • mine dark blonde, so it'd prob work on mine.
  • cathy_3cathy_3 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    NOOOOOOOOO

to get proper streaks you need the powder to mix with the peroxide

or itll go yellow like spaghetti lol
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    sorry for being thick, what powder. not done it before. mum used to, but cant remember how, just remember the smell.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The powder is the bleach, the peroxide is the creamy liquid. You use both for more intense lightening.
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this 160 but not tried it
    so on your own head be it ::)

Peroxide Techniques: Based on experimentation with peroxide here is the knowledge I have gained. [Disclaimer: In no way am I liable for any damage that this technique may cause to your body and/or clothing. Use this technique at your own risk. But don't worry, you'll be fine as long as you don't get anything in your eyes.]Stuff-U-should-know (I can't guarantee that these facts are scientifically sound. But they make sense!)
    Peroxide doesn't change hair color, the baking soda does.
    Peroxide opens up the hair shaft to receive the backing soda.
    The dryer your hair is when you apply the soda/peroxide mixture, the more it will soak in and the less applications you will need.
    The higher concentration of soda in the peroxide, the lighter your hair will turn with each application.
    The more hair you have, the more of the mixture you will need.
    Some things you will need:
    Bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide - Note: The stronger the peroxide, the more effective each application will be.
    Box of baking soda and a spoon.
    Plastic bowl or bucket with which you will mix the above ingredients.
    (OPTIONAL) Heat source such as a heat lamp, blow-dryer, or even the sun.
    Step 1: Make sure your hair is clean and dry, not oily.
    Step 2: Take hydrogen peroxide (enough to soak your hair with) and about 1 spoonful of baking soda and mix it in a bucket.
    Step 3: You can do one of two things, or a combination of them. You can either dip your hands into the bucket and use them to spread the mixture all over the parts of your hair which you want lighter, or stick your head into the bucket and let the peroxide soak in for 1 or more minutes. Whatever you do don't get any in your eyes. Let any peroxide that drips from your hair, back into your bucket for later use.
    Step 4: (After taking your head out of the bowl)Comb, brush, or stroke your hair with your fingers making sure all the areas you want colored are nice and wet with peroxide. Now you can let it soak in for as long as you want- 35 min., and hour, 2 days, whatever. If you wish to use heat, use a heat lamp, blow-dryer, or go outside (if it is hot and sunny) and let the heat react with your hair.
    Step 5: Repeat the process until your hair is as light was you want it. WARNING: In some instances (depending on type of hair) if you over-do it your hair might look whitish blonde when dry and bright orange when wet or gelled up. While this isn't necessarily a problem I just think you should be warned.
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    thanks glad. not sure now. ??? maybe should just go back to the sun-in. :-[
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support