New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Free Food

edited 25 April 2016 at 10:57AM in Shop but don't drop
75 replies 35.3K views

Replies

• Tim_LTim_L Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    In fact they taste of corn, not cheesy wotsits. A little bland, but quite acceptable.

I am working on ways of cheesifying them, but my natural delicacy and good breeding prevents me from going into details at this stage.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why didn't I find this post before today? Side-splitting stuff.

Although I once cut into a slice of Camembert, ate it, thought it tasted a little strong, and was then informed by my offspring that there were things wriggling in the rest of it ... :o
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Tim, you are one very funny man, I would be wonderful to have someone like you in our office.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Debeast, You are right about NHS food, but I hope the dieticians, I work with don't see this as they plan the menu's for the NHS trust I work for.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Mandy
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • vanoonoovanoonoo Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I am working on ways of cheesifying them, but my natural delicacy and good breeding prevents me from going into details at this stage.
    bury them in the lead box with the camembert?
    Blah
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Free food needn't be confined to the office workspace!

For the last 16 years I have worked in one or other of a variety of field engineer positions. It is amazing how generous commercial and domestic customers can be at the labour rates we charge. I have had splendid corporate binges in central London, Bacon and egg sandwiches in the midlands, Steak and chips in rural SW of England, limitless tea and coffee*, and a positive EU biscuit mountain all around the country. I have permission from various customers to use their subsidised corporate canteens "if I am in the area".

However, the best sort of free food is the sort that you get by guilting your manager into taking your team out to lunch because he doesn't really get to see you much what with work pressures and... etc etc etc.

OK this sort of freebie does not happen everyday, but then lots of other perks come with being field based to make up for this irregularity in food (I have lost count of the shops where "shareholder" or "staff" has been used to discount items I buy)

Long live the service industry!

* Not always nice tho! How do you make instant Nescafe taste bad? I don't understand how but they can. Know your customer, coffee? no ta, too busy! ;D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • pinky8pinky8 Forumite
    464 posts
    ;D

Absolutely Fantastic !!!

Thanks Tim for your hilarious short stories :D
    It costs nothing to be nice...:)

Mortgage 01/05/07- £138200.13 (Start of challenge)
    Mortgage 01/07/08- £128868.93

Aiming to Reduce mortgage by £20000 in 3 years :)
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    More, more, more, PLEASE - of the stories not the other!! Laugh? I am sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks. The funniest part of Martin's site by far.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim, i cant believe i havent discovered this thread before!!! I have been sitting here laughing out loud to myself since i started reading it.

More of your humour please, it brightens up the day!!
  • haziechaziec Forumite
    379 posts
    ;D
    You should all try working in our A&E Dept! - because we are open 24/7, the highly paid bosses sometimes take pity on us and send down their leftovers from their meetings!
    (note: sweaty sausages and manky cheese is just what u need on a long night in A&E!)
    I will just have to try getting up to the board room sometime (between 9-5) and getting some food while its still fresh lol.
  • COSCOS Forumite
    549 posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Tim, i cant believe i havent discovered this thread before!!!  I have been sitting here laughing out loud to myself since i started reading it.

More of your humour please, it brightens up the day!!

Judi, You spent a whole ten minutes keeping your mind off the choc box ;D
    Rememember. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
    Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance. And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know
    when, You might need them to empty your bedpan.