PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Didn't declare tax on rental income

Options

Comments

• woter324
    Options
    Hi,

In a few places, this post seems to suggest that a Landlord can get tax relief on the interest part of mortgage repayments.

I've been hunting the HMRC website for evidence of this and I've only been able to find this document

You'll have to search for PIM2120 on HMRC's website as for some reason I am still a new member (I joined in 2010) and can't post links. Grrrrrr!!! How does this stop spammers Martin?

If I understand this correctly, I can only claim back the interest on the first £30,000, albeit at 10%. On a modern-day mortgage that's pittance!

With the document dated 1999-2000, there has to be a more resent document. Does anyone have a link or is this law still current?

Many thanks

W.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Here's a list of allowable expenses;-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnPropertyAndRentalIncome/DG_10014027

You can claim interest on a mortgage upto the full value of the asset which is let to generate the income.

For example, if you remortgage your home raising £100k to buy a property, you can offset interest on that £100k against the rental income.

Alternatively, if you have £25k cash and use that as a deposit to buy the property and raise a £75k mortgage to buy it, you can only offset the interest on the £75k mortgage.

It is essential that where the finance to buy the BTL is raised on your own residence, there is a clear audit trail for HMRC to follow to be able to identify the funds were raised for the purpose of purchasing the BTL property.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 October 2012 at 5:52AM
    Options
    woter324 wrote: »
    PIM2120 on HMRC's website as for some reason I am still a new member (I joined in 2010) and can't post links. Grrrrrr!!! How does this stop spammers Martin?

If I understand this correctly, I can only claim back the interest on the first £30,000, albeit at 10%. On a modern-day mortgage that's pittance!

With the document dated 1999-2000, there has to be a more resent document. Does anyone have a link or is this law still current?
    PIM 2120 covers the OLD rules when mortgages were still available with interest relief at source ie MIRAS
    as that was abolished then the first page is now the replacement "rule" although as it is written for use by HMRC staff not the general public it does require some background knowlegde to see what it's saying.

what Kingstreet has posted is the correct interpretation of the technicalities of PIM2105: for example...
    interest allowable as a deduction provided the capital account is not overdrawn means size of loan limited to value of property when first let)
    must be wholly and exclusively means the cost (interest element) you want to deduct must relate to only the money borowed and spent on the let property

BTW - the ability to post links is tied to the number of posts made to date, not the date of joining. You can post links after your 10th post
  • jamesrobins
    Options
    Just been on the phone to chase my tax payer number. One of the (hopefully) many LL's who didn't register when they started renting a property.

Have been renting a flat for 3 years with very little profit so hopefully I don't get stung for much, unemployed at the moment too. My own fault, should have sorted it earlier.

Anyway, lots of useful replies in this thread so thanks everyone.
  • CWSmith
    CWSmith Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    I did exactly the same when I first rented out my mum's house.

Tax didn't even cross my mind ................... It took 2 years to realise, when (scared to death) I gritted my teeth and phoned the IR.

The tax office were absolutely fine about it. No prison - not even a telling-off at all!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HMRC are generally sympathetic if you come clean. And pay up where tax is due.

They are less sympathetic where they have had to come to find you.
  • guitarman001
    guitarman001 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    I know several people who let out rooms and none of them declare any of it!!! And it must be at least £400 a month!!
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know several people who let out rooms and none of them declare any of it!!! And it must be at least £400 a month!!

Well, grass them up like a loyal British citizen!!

We don't want tax-cheats here any more than we want other thieves such as house-breakers or benefit-cheats...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/reportingfraud/
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    That's allowed, if its one room in their own home and the total rent is no more than £4250 per year. If that doesn't apply, then it's tax evasion and there are serious penalties if caught.

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • guitarman001
    guitarman001 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, they're definitely over the threshold... I know LOADS of people doing this... and they all boast loudly about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure