PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Didn't declare tax on rental income

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks for the info ppl

mlz1413 - the mortgage type is repayment not interest only

Only the interest not the capital element is offsetable against rental income.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This website does not condone tax evasion.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    i think a law should be brought in so the new breed of landlords ie those who dont have correct btl mortgage,,dont comply with any regs, dont protect deposits, dont pay taxes should be able to be weeded out and dealt with,,sorry to hijack post...rant over..markets full of incidental landlords....
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    ""markets full of incidental landlords....""

markets only partially less than half full of incidental landlords and not all of them are bad.....

"IR 150 Taxation of REnts" - a hefty booklet which i think is now only on the revenue website tells you all the expenses you can legitimately claim. as a LL...
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    you know as well as i do there are people out there in their masses going back home ect and renting their properties out or other.....diluting the market for professional lets like mine.....although i have only rented props for 11yrs i have seen the change in the rental market,nobody should be allowed to let without the correct stipulations....I do have another business and the legalities, H&S which i comply to is far too long to write about on here..and i get checked on a regular basis to make sure i am going with the rules...
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ladybird20: If you have rented properties for eleven years what is the storage heater thread all about?? :huh:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    yeah its one of my other properties and i havnt had this problem before..thanks for noticing..
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    Oh yes i see your confusion.....1 prop is 11 yrs old bought new and the latest which is in that thread is not quite two years old......
  • FraudBuster
    Options
    I've just started renting out my buy-to-let property. The tenant pays cash. Surely we'll never be found out? "There are many ways you might be found out," says the Revenue, which receives "hundreds" of calls a week to its tax evasion helpline.
    HMRC will often look at ads in newspapers and online to ascertain who should be reporting rental income for buy-to-let properties, say Fernie and Herring. Warburton adds: "You probably will be found out at some stage, but, regardless of that, you have a duty to declare your income. If you do not, you are likely to be penalised heavily."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jan/23/tax-returns-questions-hmrc
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Still a fine for non filing of self assessment forms.

Only if tax is owed actually - you can appeal against the £100 if you don't owe any tax at 31/1

Not condoning the non filing of course....... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure