Anglian Water gripe

Options
I've been on a water meter since last April.

I rang them today as I haven't been sent anything about what the new charges will be from 1/4/12. I was told that I'll be notified when my next statement comes out in June. I told them that I thought they were supposed to inform people in advance when charges go up (I previously received my new bills when I wasn't on a meter at the beginning of each March) and I was told that it's different for people who are on a meter and they get notified when their next statement goes out after 1 April. Is this correct, can they do this?

Also, whilst I was on the phone, I had a word as according to my last statement received in December 2011 I was £54 in credit with them after paying £31 per month by DD. I asked whether I was still in credit with them and they said that at present, I am in credit by just over £140! When I asked what I needed to do to get that money returned to me, they said I would have to wait until I received my statement in June and couldn't refund anything at present incase I used a lot of water within the next couple of months. By then, I reckon I'll be at least £160 in credit! I was then told that they don't usually do refunds but would 'consider' looking at my monthly payments and think about reducing them in June but couldn't confirm if this would be done. I told the lady that when I first went on a meter I was assured that my useage would be looked at regularly and my payments would be adjusted accordingly and obviously this hasn't happened and she told me that yes they are reviewed regularly - once yearly - but only when we ring up to request a review!

Are they allowed to keep hold of my money like this? Is there anything anyone can suggest to ensure I get a refund in June?
In a world where everything is a copy, I remain an original

Comments

• mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All the charging info should be on your water co's website, but I agree it would be helpful if they sent it to you as they did before the meter. As far as payment/overpayment is concerned, can't you simply ask to come off monthly direct debit and on to quarterly/half-yearly/whatever billing, ie you pay when you receive a bill. That way your first bill will be mostly credit and thereafter the money stays in your account not the water company's until needed. AFAIK you don't get any discount for letting them take estimated monthly direct debits.
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    jinger wrote: »
    she told me that yes they are reviewed regularly - once yearly - but only when we ring up to request a review!
    I'm sure she is wrong. Our payments are reviewed with every statement (twice a year). They calculate how much water you've used and what your new balance is and then they take all that into account when working out your next 6 payments.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    When you are billed every 6 months, it stands to reason that you will build up a credit if paying by DD.

i.e. you could be, say, £160 in credit on 17 June and get a £220 bill on the 18th June and be £60 in debt.

If you 'want your money back' why agree to pay by Direct debit? Just pay your bill every 6 months.

A 'mail shot' to all the customers informing of the forthcoming rise costs £millions - which everyone ultimately pays in higher charges. The information is on their website and was in the media.

If you really want to know, a Google produces this:

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/general/1BE1DA2ED23646AEA54D8F636B8EDE9C.aspx
  • jinger_2
    jinger_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2012 at 8:07PM
    Options
    I don't receive bills every six months, only advisory statements. but I see where you are coming from Cardew.

As I knew my meter was 'switched on' from 1/4/11, on 31/3/12 I took a reading just before I went to bed. The next day I worked out how much I should have paid for what I'd used. I went back to those figures after I'd come off the phone to the Water Board and confirmed to myself that I'd overpaid them once I'd added up what I'd been paying by DD.
    Cardew wrote: »

If you 'want your money back' why agree to pay by Direct debit? Just pay your bill every 6 months.

I wish it were that simple. I have to stick to a pretty tight budget to try to clear the debts that built up after being out of work for over 9 months last year. If I was able to get the credit back (or at least part of it) I could put it towards other bills.

What really irks me is if I do get any of that money back in June, they get to keep the interest (what little bit it'll be) whilst that money's been sitting in their bank accounts! It would be interesting to know just how much they earn off their account holders over the year that are in the same situation :eek:

Oh well, even if I don't get any money back, I can look forward to hardly paying anything towards this year's water useage :D
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jinger wrote: »
    I don't receive bills every six months, only advisory statements. but I see where you are coming from Cardew.

They are in effect bills. By that I mean that you pay monthly by Direct Debit and each month that payment is credited to your account; so you build up a credit. However you have been using water each month.

Every 6 months when the meter has been read(or estimated) your account is debited and a large credit balance can turn into a debit balance. So it is only at these 6 month points that the true state of your account is known.

If you can demonstrate your £31 DD is too high, most water companies will reduce the payment. However £54 credit is not a lot - especiall with the increased charges that came int force this month.
  • jinger_2
    jinger_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I think being an extra £90-odd in credit within 4 months of my December statement proves I've been paying too much.

If in June I don't get anywhere, or if they don't reduce my payments by much I'll email them my calculations which include the correct percentage for sewerage costs in the total to prove I've been paying too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport