Do I have poor memory or is my bill really too much?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
4 replies 670 views
redfish0redfish0 Forumite
13 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I've moved into a new place and got the first quarterly bill. My place is a small 2 bedroom bungalow. I live alone, don't really cook much, have the usual basic appliances, all energy saving bulbs, a water tank with heater (set for 1 hour per night), electric shower and one electric oil radiator and one small storage heater.

The quaterly bill came to £260:confused:
In my old place (a 1 bed flat), I thought the most expensive quarterly bill was £90.

Does this quarterly bill sound right for what I have and I've just got confused about the bills at my previous place or is this really quite high for what I have?

Thanks.

Replies

• abbecerabbecer Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    That seems really high. My bills aren't that and there are 4 of us. I'm a SAHm so in quite a lot. I would ring supplier to double check your readings. Did you submit readings when you moved in? If not could you be paying for previous tenants usage?

Rebecca xxxxxxxxxx
  • redfish0redfish0 Forumite
    13 Posts
    I've checked the readings and they seem right. Here's the details off the bill.
    It has the reading I gave them when moving in. I've checked the readings they have given and they seem right too.

Day readings:
    Reading date Reading type Reading kWh
    27 Nov 2006 Customer read 55127
    20 Feb 2007 Meter Reader 56487 1360.00

Night readings:
    Reading date Reading type Reading kWh
    27 Nov 2006 Customer read 70428
    20 Feb 2007 Meter Reader 72235 1807.00

I dont understand why there are three rates either really but here's some more details.

Electricity Charges

For 3167.00 kWh consumed used over 86 days
    Base Rate 1 = 212.00 kWh at 22.399 pence per kWh 47.49
    Base Rate 2 = 1148.00 kWh at 13.13 pence per kWh 150.73
    Base Rate 3 = 1807.00 kWh at 2.756 pence per kWh 49.80

Charge for Electricity used £248.02
  • tripledtripled Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are three rates because:

Rate 1 is a higher daytime rate as you don't have a standing charge, for the first x many units per quarter
    Rate 2 is the standard daytime rate
    Rate 3 is your nightime rate

Do you have electric heating? If so, it seems a bit high, but not extreme for winter.
  • redfish0redfish0 Forumite
    13 Posts
    Yes, I have electric heating. One small storage heater and one oil filled radiator.
    At my old place, I had one small storage heater and one really large one. I know prices have gone up but that one oil radiator can't have made that big a difference. It's only on two thirds of the dial and used in the evenings.

I've invested in a meter that you can plug in the wall and will go round anything plugged into a socket when it arrives to find out just what the appliances are using. Hopefully, if there's something drinking it then it will show up. Otherwise *shrugs*
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals