Best place for buying euros on the high street

Options
Any good suggestions would be welcomed.
I heard about the Post Office but today, for example, their exchange rate is rubbish!
Candelabra

Comments

• shaileytuff
    Options
    my local M&S tend to be very competitive better rates than the 3 travel agents in the same shopping centre
  • siamese0109
    Options
    sadken wrote:
    Any good suggestions would be welcomed.
    I heard about the Post Office but today, for example, their exchange rate is rubbish!

It may have been that way everywhere today - did you check anywhere else? I often have to change small amounts of euros just to see us over weekends etc and the Post Office beats our local travel agents every time. There are other ways of getting euros but it depends on where you're going. In Spain for example many people find that a Nationwide card can be used in the ATMs and gives a better rate of exchange than taking eoros with them.
  • cosyc
    cosyc Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    Don't go to Thomas Cook as I got conned there. They had a notice in there window 1.45 to the pound (or what ever the rate was) and free exchange.

Just got £200 as a week end away, no quene as post office always full got money came out. Thought I didn't get what I expeceted so checked slip and different rate to the window. Bottom of the window posted it said in small letters 'rate only applies if you exchange more than £600'.

Won't be going there again!!
  • jrrowleyws
    jrrowleyws Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cosyc wrote:
    Don't go to Thomas Cook as I got conned there. They had a notice in there window 1.45 to the pound (or what ever the rate was) and free exchange.

Just got £200 as a week end away, no quene as post office always full got money came out. Thought I didn't get what I expeceted so checked slip and different rate to the window. Bottom of the window posted it said in small letters 'rate only applies if you exchange more than £600'.

Won't be going there again!!

Many places do this with their advertising -be careful nomatter where you go!
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    The advice about a Nationwide card is correct. No charges, and when you get home you find that you have got a far better rate than any exchange office will give.

Having said that, I have used the Co-op Travel place in the past for getting small amounts of foreign cash. They at least honour the rate they advertise, with no commission, and no minimum.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [FONT=tahoma,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi, Here is my list of top places on how to get money to spend abroad:[/FONT] [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,new york,times,serif][FONT=tahoma,new york,times,serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1. Nationwide Debit Card for ATM withdrawals from destination country (no foreign loading) / the Audi credit card or the Post Office credit card for purchases in destination country (but watch out for Dynamic Currency Conversion) (no foreign loading for purchases, BUT watch charges for cash withdrawals).

2. Nationwide Credit Card (please note Nationwide's policy re chip and pin in foreign countries: see this thread from FlyerTalk) (no foreign loading for purchases, BUT watch charges for cash withdrawals).
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    3. SAGA credit card (if you are over 50) for purchases in destination country (no foreign loading for European purchases, 1% for rest of the world).

4. Any other debit card for ATM withdrawals from destination country / any other credit card for purchases in destination country (but for both CHECK T&C's to see exact charges).

5. Thomas Exchange Global ("TEG") in central London - pay and pick up at store (they also offer a delivery service, but charge £5).

6. Link Foreign Exchange ("LinkFX") in Victoria Station, central London - pay and pick up at store.

7. Travelex online (remember Travelex will price match any other exchange service, i.e. the one above) -pay online, pick up at airport.

For price matching: order through Travelex online as you would do normally, then call up TEG (02072401214 or 02078281880) or LinkFX (02072338822) and get a quote re their exchange rate. Email Travelex: [EMAIL="customerservices@travelex.com"]customerservices@travelex.com[/EMAIL] (must be done on the same day) stating the following: your Travelex reference number, your currency quote from TEG or LinkFX (and the fact you got it from TEG or LinkFX) and your address (Travelex will send you a cheque refunding the difference). Also Travelex normally acknowledge receipt of your email. Full terms and conditions of the Travelex Price Promise are on the Travelex website.

8. Marks and Spencer - pay online or pay and pick up instore.

9. Online FX (using this link ensures free deliver) - pay online, delivery to home.

10. HSBC (they seem to use Amex as their travel money provider and offer free delivery for orders over £350) - pay online, deliver to home or pick up from branch (and avoid any delivery charge).

11. Thomson Travel (they seem to use Amex as their travel money provider) - pay online, delivery to home.

12. Co-op Travel (they use Currency Express / Exchange and offer free delivery for orders over £300) - pay online, delivery to home.

13. Post Office (while probably not the best rate, there are many of them around, so may be convenient) - pay online, pick up at PO or pay and pick up at PO.

14. Haggle with High Street travel agent (which may ensure better rates than 5 to 9 above) - pay and pick up instore.

With 1 - 4 make sure you tell your card provider you are going abroad, where you are going and for how long, so they can put a note on your account.

With 5 - 14, if you are paying with debit / credit card check your T&C's as many providers charge for the privilege of using money exchange services.

Here are links to ATM locators: VISA and MasterCard

Here are various information links to VISA: Foreign Exchange Rate FAQ and Visa Exchange Rates

Also please read Martin's article: Spending Overseas and Loading Technicals

Also look at the these forum threads: The Cheapest Way to Spend Overseas Discussion Area and How to buy TCs and foreign currency

Hope this all helps![/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • loobs40
    loobs40 Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    Options
    I no longer buy Euros before I go to Europe. I have a Nationwide Debit card and the first thing I do when the plane lands or we get to Calais is find a cashpoint machine and draw out the Euros. Much better rate of exchange
  • smk77
    smk77 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    loobs40 wrote:
    I no longer buy Euros before I go to Europe. I have a Nationwide Debit card and the first thing I do when the plane lands or we get to Calais is find a cashpoint machine and draw out the Euros. Much better rate of exchange

I'm off to poland soon and was going to take my nationwide card because of good rates and no charges however I noticed that charges apply if you are in your agreed overdraft. As the overdraft rate is good I'm taking advantage of it so won't be able to take advantage of this.

I've noticed for the polish Zloty that HBOS offer a good rate (better than onlinefx). Not sure if the same applies to the euro though. Might be work a look.
  • west_is_best
    west_is_best Posts: 1,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    can anyone advise me where is the best place to buy Euros for my dayghter whos going skiing in 2 weeks time???

Thank you
  • loobs40
    loobs40 Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    Options
    Lynwen wrote: »
    can anyone advise me where is the best place to buy Euros for my dayghter whos going skiing in 2 weeks time???

Thank you

see post 7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family