This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheapest Way To Spend Overseas article.

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Comments

• gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    as a matter of interest, if travelling to eec, i buy my ciggies at approx £11 for 200, making them £1.10 for 20. i keep a tin by my ciggie stock, and buy them off myself at £2.50 each pack. not only is the money then there for paying next months c/c bill, i'm also paying off twice what the debt was, and still got cheap ciggies into the bargain!

a bit of feel good psychology about it all!

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • Money_Man_Steve
    Options
    On a recent trip to California (Mar 06), I found that quite a few of the banks' cash machines (or ATM's as the Americans call them) levy their own fees for cash withdrawals, ranging between $1.50 and $2.50 (about 85p to £1.40) per withdrawal. However, Wells Fargo bank did not impose any such fee.

I'm not sure if they are found all across the US, but they're quite a major bank with lots of branches and 6,500 ATM's, so look out for them - hopefully their ATM's will remain fee-free for UK cardholders to access their cash.

They have an ATM locator on their website here.
  • abesrve
    abesrve Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Is use of the Nationwide flexaccount limited to within Europe? Can I withdraw cash in the States using this card?

Also, is there a website to track down which ATMs allow free withdrawals?

Thanks in advance for the info.
  • Money_Man_Steve
    Options
    abesrve wrote:
    Is use of the Nationwide flexaccount limited to within Europe? Can I withdraw cash in the States using this card?

Also, is there a website to track down which ATMs allow free withdrawals?

Thanks in advance for the info.

I have used my Nationwide Visa debit card in both Canada and the USA without a charge from Nationwide. See my previous post regarding free withdrawals from Wells Fargo. I don't know of any other US banks that do not charge - does anyone else?
  • abesrve
    abesrve Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know of any other US banks that do not charge - does anyone else?

I think in the interests of those travelling to the US it would certainly be useful to draw up a list of those banks that do not charge. Maybe this could actually be added to the article in time?
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    abesrve wrote:
    I think in the interests of those travelling to the US it would certainly be useful to draw up a list of those banks that do not charge. Maybe this could actually be added to the article in time?

In the states i've found that most ATMs don't charge, however there are a few that do.

Both Washington Mutual and Citibank DON'T charge.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • njb379
    Options
    I have a question on charges with regards using a credit card in Europe.

I recently paid for my holiday accomadation via my Morgan Stanley CC and was charged £30.06p on a 1555 euro transaction. It appeared on my statment as a Commission Charge. I have never seen a charge like this before. Has anyone else?

Regards
    NJB
  • sd8974
    sd8974 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a Nationwide Visa Debit Card and am off to Australia next month - so the only fees I might encounter are the Aussie bank withdrawal fees. Does anyone know who doesn't charge for withdrawals, or where I can find a list of those ATMs that wouldn't charge me in Australia? [I'll be staying principally in Sydney...]

Shane.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sd8974 wrote:
    I have a Nationwide Visa Debit Card and am off to Australia next month - so the only fees I might encounter are the Aussie bank withdrawal fees. Does anyone know who doesn't charge for withdrawals, or where I can find a list of those ATMs that wouldn't charge me in Australia? [I'll be staying principally in Sydney...]

Shane.

When I went to Oz, I never got charged using Nationwide for ATMs money taking. I think you should be fine there.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • benoz2000
    Options
    It would appear from the article that Nationwide provide the best credit card for overseas transactions, but where they fall down is the interest charges even if the balance is repaid in full immediately.

If I pay a large amount onto my credit card before leaving the country, and then spend this, (like charging my credit card before use). Would this avoid there high interest rates?

Thanks for any help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport