The Cheapest Way to Spend Overseas Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• wywso0
    wywso0 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    One issue with nationwide cards is that you are permitted only 8 uses per 24 hours. I found this out last year in New York when the card started to be rejected for no reason. Although I rang them and assured them there was no fraud the 8 uses/day rule was sacrosanct (I have no idea why).

Bill
  • bobloes
    Options
    farang wrote:
    bobloes
    It would appear that you need to be carefull which card you use.
    Use a DEBIT card for CASH withdrawals and NOT a credit card.
    Use a CREDIT card for PURCHASES.

Thanks but... The point I am trying to clarify is that according to the article "The Saga card is the winner here, but you must be over 50 to apply. It’s 0% loading in Europe and 1% worldwide, and its great strength is a low 1.5% or £1.50 for withdrawing cash and no interest charge if you repay in full." In other words I can withdraw money from my credit card account, deposit it in my bank, earn interest and then repay the cc firm from my bank with their own money. Small stuff I agree but probably the main reason why interest is charged from the moment the money is withdrawn. Brilliant if no interest statement is true. Is it?
  • Splashie
    Splashie Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I have just been rejected from Nationwide for their credit card (but weirdly have just got the debit card....)

Anyway - I need to work out a second best option and hoped to use one of my exising credit cards.

If I am looking on their websites or calling them what am I asking for info on - their loading rate??

cheers

Splashie

p.s just looked at all existing cards and they are are as follows
    Egg 2.65%
    IF 2.75%
    Virgin 2.75%
    Halifax 2.75%
    Marbles 2.75%
    M&S 2.75%

Quite miffed that nationwide rejected me now :(

pps Post office - 2.5%
    Excuse the spelling...life is too short to get evey word right!!
  • Irons_2
    Irons_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I am travelling to the canaries Monday week but unfortunatly I have reacted too late in attempting to get a current account set up by Nationwide before i go - as someone who spends about £700 cash i buy a lot of food from shops that do not in my experince accept plastic credit cards - the l &v will help me in the evening at restauarant with the 0% where i spend about £350 but the cash withdrawls will be a problem particlulary as the maximum you can draw out is £250per day - this I believe leaves me two options 1) use my liverpol & victoria card for purchases & use travelx to get euros in advance seems the best rate - I may be totally incorrect here but can someone advise - much appreciated in advance Ps this will be the only time i will travel abroad this year
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its been asked soo, soo many times, where is the best place to get holiday money?

I know there are articles about holiday money, etc, however I thought I would write a little list of my top choices:

1. Nationwide Debit Card for ATM withdrawals from destination country / Nationwide Credit Card or the Audi credit card for purchases in destination country (but watch out for Dynamic Currency Conversion).

2. Any other debit card for ATM withdrawals from destination country / any other credit card for purchases in destination country (but for both CHECK T&C's to see exact charges).

3. Thomas Exchange Global in central London.

4. Travelex online (remember Travelex will price match any other exchange service, i.e. the one above)

5. Marks and Spencer

6. Online FX (using this link ensures free deliver).

7. Thomson Travel (they seem to use Amex as their travel money provider).

8. Co-op Travel (they use Curreny Express / Exchange and offer free delivery for orders over £300).

9. Post Office (while probably not the best rate, there are many of them around, so may be convinient).

10. Haggle with High Street travel agent (which may ensure better rates than 5 to 9 above).

With 3 - 9, if you are paying with debit / credit card check your T&C's as many providers charge for the priviledge of using money exchange services.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • hammy_the_hammer
    Options
    hallelujah
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    I think the main Post Offices are as good as anywhere. Wherever you go, remember to pay for your foreign currency in cash as debit/credit card companies make a charge if you use them to purchase foreign currency. Nasty trick!
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Order £600's worth of Euros which got me 860 through Thomas Cook at a rate of 1.43 and paid via switch card and there was no charge for paying with my card
  • tonyfaestoney
    tonyfaestoney Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the main Post Offices are as good as anywhere. Wherever you go, remember to pay for your foreign currency in cash as debit/credit card companies make a charge if you use them to purchase foreign currency. Nasty trick!

I have never been charged using debit card at Travelex, I am aware I would be charged if used credit card.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    You can haggle in many travel agents too. Just quote the travelex online rate.
    Always tell them initially you want less. ie say £300 worth. They normally come back with -ooh now if you were changing £500..... GOTCHA .:D

Also if traveling with friends/family - pool your money-this can get a higher rate also.

BTW Ive NEVER been charged for using a debit card at TRAVELEX
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport