Boiler cover

Options
denise38
denise38 Posts: 422 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Can anyone point me in the right direction. Who apart from British Gas give you cover for your boiler etc. I currently have homecare 200 which covers central heating system and yearly boiler check. Just got new plan in and it has gone up by more than 20%.
I have never met a calorie yet I didn't like!!

Comments

• rosscobley
    Options
    Have a look see if SSE cover your area yet

http://www.ssehomeservices.co.uk/
    Filiss
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have to say I really agree about the ever higher prices charged by BG.

This has been covered lots of times if you do a search.

I think you will find there is no other organisation like BG who have their own fitters etc.

There are plenty of other 'Nationwide' schemes. However all these do is get a local plumber to visit.

If you look through scores of posts I don't think you will find any organisation that is really recommended.

If you ring BG they will almost always reduce the price by 10% - they do for me every year. But it is still expensive.
  • denise38
    Options
    Thanks you pretty much said what I had thought. Basically I am going to be stuck with them unless I can get someone local who will do the same job. Must have another look at my home insuraance policy to see wether boiler breakdown would be covered in my home emergency cover.
    This is the first time I have had such an increase and I really think 20% is way too much.
  • i_love_it
    Options
    If your boiler is in good order cancel it and go uncovered until a problem arises. You can then call BG for a one off visit, you will be asked to sign up for the plan prior to the visit.

During the inspection any minor problems will be fixed (you would then be tied to the plan) and any major problem will be identified, giving you the opportunity to accept the work with a bill to pay or cancel the policy without payment and seek a better price for the repair.

I just done exactly that, so the call out for BG cost nothing, and good to their word, I've received confirmation of cancellation of the plan, without any payment. I still haven't had the repair mind, (they actually recomended replacing 13yr old boiler, but gave some expensive short term fixes) it's on my list of things to do....

The only downside is no cover in a real emergency, but a free inspection and diagnosis was appreciated and the engineer has improved the problem in the short term at no cost!
  • rosscobley
    rosscobley Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    SSE have they own guys and dont contract to anyone. Its all new as they are now offering boiler installations as well. If they cover your area its worth a look
    Filiss
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    rosscobley wrote:
    SSE have they own guys and dont contract to anyone. Its all new as they are now offering boiler installations as well. If they cover your area its worth a look

Thats good to know. I wonder how extensive their coverage is - they don't cover my postcode area.

Hopefully they might provide some competition to BG who have enjoyed something of a monopoly.

Mind you at £186 a year it is no cheaper than BG.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    uswitch allows you to compare serveral different packages from different companies all of which are cheaper than BG's I believe. If you wanted to stay with BG you could cancel the cover and resubscribe (although I have highlighted some pitfalls to that in an earlier thread) or downgrade to BG's £8 a month package.
  • denise38
    Options
    Have looked at SSe and they cover my area. Still works out a good £20 cheaper than BG for me. Looked at BG options and didn't realise they offer a £10 a month with plan where you £50 if you nned to call them out. Covers cost of repairs. I would need to call them out twice a year for it to be more expensive than what I have. If I do decide to stay with them I will go through quidco and arrange the new homecare flexi package and get £16 cashback.
  • whitelabel
    whitelabel Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    my sister is covered with these

http://www.reactfasthomeassist.co.uk/

theyre nationwide
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    I`m sure I read somewhere that powergen were taking on BG by having boiler cover but it`s not in every area. I think its mostly confined to north east..ie liverpool, manchester, cheshire,blackpool. They are also cheaper than BG.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure