Options

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2012 at 10:33AM
    Options
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    So what, I think it's a ridiculous amount of time and energy to waste over £3.50.

Yet you yourself even started a thread complaining about having been asked to pay 72p for a Crunchie, and you even went so far as to state that you were considering going back to the store just to take a photograph of the items on the shelf.
    Now that is ridiculous.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2948068
    Looking at other items they were extremely high priced, well above the RRP and well above the RRP + say a 10% mark up,
    10%, that's a whole 7.2p markup. Quite a bit less less than the £3.50 the OP is complaining about.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they offered free shipping, they'd just increase the price of each item by £3.50. Sometimes not offering free delivery can actually save you money where your buying multiple items.

But even so, why should Marks & Spencer (a for-profit organisation) have to pay to deliver your order and not you?
  • trishandbubs
    Options
    could you maybe get together with other parents buying the uniform and put in one large order which then shares out the delivery charge, if you get 10 orders thats just 35p each
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    The only thing with placing a large order such as that one is that one person then becomes responsible for getting the money upfront, paying it to M&S, then dealing with any problems that occur in the future (if one or more of the items is defective when delivered, wrong size supplied, is of poor quality, or just wears out in what the purchaser considers too short a time etc).
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yet you yourself even started a thread complaining about having been asked to pay 72p for a Crunchie, and you even went so far as to state that you were considering going back to the store just to take a photograph of the items on the shelf.
    Now that is ridiculous.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2948068

10%, that's a whole 7.2p markup. Quite a bit less less than the £3.50 the OP is complaining about.

Quite pathetic to go through someones post, to try to prove a point, but congrats on trying to anyway. :T

This is an open forum, where I like everybody else is entitled to their opinon. You don't agree with mine and no doubt others don't agree with it either.

So what, I repeat again, I still think it is too much time and effort over the sake of £3.50.
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well given the price of petrol / parking charges these days I reckon you'd be saving money by getting it delivered.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Quite pathetic to go through someones post, to try to prove a point, but congrats on trying to anyway

Well, I'm stuck at work with nothing to do so it didn't put me out in the least.
    I think that what I posted did more than "try" to prove a point. Anyway, I'm sure you only consider it pathetic as it shows you up as a hypocrite who starts a thread to complain over a few pennies, yet when another MSE member complains over £3.50, you consider it ridiculous.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    well given the price of petrol / parking charges these days I reckon you'd be saving money by getting it delivered.

That would be true if the OP made a special journey to the M&S store to pick the uniform up but they may well have planned to collect it when they were in the town doing a routine weekly shop.
    Quite pathetic to go through someones post, to try to prove a point.
    I disagree.
    A quick look at a persons posting history often gives a good indication of why they post.
    ie, posting to give useful information or posting to elicit a response from others (trolling).
  • Annieuk75
    Annieuk75 Posts: 399 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all the positive feedback..the rest, well, I'll ignore that. Thanks, I am taking it up with the school, hopefully we can work something out.

Just to be straight, I live very close to my local store and walk past M&S most days. I am not asking for free delivery.

I don't consider £3.50 a small amount. I have spent £14 since September on uniform orders...children grow.

Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how I get on. X
  • Hermione_Granger
    Hermione_Granger Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 April 2012 at 10:45AM
    Options
    The idea that the goods may be shipped from someone other that Marks is correct.

Last year I ordered some made to measure curtains, and I asked if I could pick these up in my local store. I was told that this wasn't possible as the manufacturing was carried out by another company and they would send them directly to my registered address when they had been made.
    Really all this over £3.50, quite unbelievable
    I'm lucky in that I have a well paying job that leaves me a reasonable amount of disposable income, but I know that this isn't the case for everyone and £3.50 may be a fair amount of money to some people.
    For this reason I wouldn't dream of trying to denigrate someone who wanted to try and save some money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure