🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

£4,200 net income per month and can't get a mortgage!

Options

Comments

• lilygirl85
    Options
    I should add that I was only promoted to a new position last month which has increased my salary by £10,000 gross. This is why we've struggled to save any more than we already have.

Plus, as I've already mentioned we now have a wedding to pay for (and unfortunately it isn't going to come cheap!)

I guess I'm just disappointed that 90% mortgages are advertised but seem so inaccessible.
  • lilygirl85
    Options
    Dave_Ham wrote: »
    Honestly, find yourself a local broker and they will sort this for you...!

Thanks Dave, we've arranged to speak to a broker tomorrow so hopefully we'll get somewhere.

We're just reluctant to start making enquiries with different lenders because we have been told that it could prejudice us in some way. Is this just a misconception or is there any truth in it?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    5% is £8k+ how much is +

So you have £16k+ saved for a £160k+ house and need another £8k+ on a £4k+pm income, should be a doddle.

I think you need to look at what you spend your money on?

Any other debt, loans, running expensive cars, high rent?

If the wedding is in 12months you can't be needing say £24k for that from the next 12month income (aining to save £2k pm).

How long have you had this income?
    15 years banking say 30+ £16k is not a lot of savings?

Big factor will be where is the money going!
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    I really dislike the "we're a loaded solicitor and accountant so should automatically be given a mortgage" attitude.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lilygirl85 wrote: »

I guess I'm just disappointed that 90% mortgages are advertised but seem so inaccessible.

Your choice. Expensive wedding or a home.........
  • Dave_Ham
    Dave_Ham Posts: 6,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is truth in it, but there are varying levels of applications and checks that affect it in different ways.

The broker will manage these issues for you, I am confident...
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You should be able to save £1,000 a month atl least, so no more than 8 months until you have the extra 5% deposit you required.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Simon_gloster
    Options
    I'd like to help but i'm burning up here.

Average (which I what yours iz) credit or high credit scores mean diddly-squat.
  • Beetlemama
    Beetlemama Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lilygirl85 wrote: »
    "the system said no"

Just as moral support - we can't offer any practical advice - my husband and I were shocked to read that you couldn't get a mortgage with a 10% deposit and that level of income AND those credit ratings.

Good luck, we hope it works out for you.
    "There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
    2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on working hard and becoming a solictor and your OH getting through his accountancy exams.
    As you have now discovered 10% deposit means your bank say NO to a 90% mortgage on a modest house £160K.
    A number of mortgage brokers have said its possible to get a 90% mortgage with other lenders and I am sure they are out there BUT you will pay for the this with a higher mortgage rate + FEES
    BIG wedding say £25K for a nice party and 2 weeks in the sunshine or 15/25% deposit and much better mortgage deals in 12 months time when you have saved up a much better deposit.
    House prices are going nowhere at the moment so start saving.
    Look at your spending and use Martin,s website to save money on everything GOOD LUCK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport