£4,200 net income per month and can't get a mortgage!

Options

Comments

• The_J
    The_J Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    Options
    If you think Nationwide's BMR on interest only is silly then you unquestionably require financial advice.
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • alinwales
    alinwales Posts: 327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to YBS, they would lend me £37K
    I went to Coop and they would lend me £142K

shop around!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The_J wrote: »
    If you think Nationwide's BMR on interest only is silly then you unquestionably require financial advice.

Being on the BMR was awesome. I'd love to be paying 2.49% still. However, being IO was silly on a long term basis. Short term it was invaluable though
  • Neverland
    Neverland Posts: 271 Forumite
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    To be fair, I didn't think that was OPs attitude. I thought it was "we earn £70k and were refused a mortgage for £140k".

When you dig into it though its actually
    - well my fiance is self employed as a partner in a small accountacy firm
    - from this month I've just had a £10k pay rise

So really its not like they can show a track record of regularly earning £70k for several years is it

That plus a small 10% deposit...

...its not so surprising the computer said no
  • The_J
    Options
    Being on the BMR was awesome. I'd love to be paying 2.49% still. However, being IO was silly on a long term basis. Short term it was invaluable though

Why is it silly? If you can invest your money at a higher rate of interest it's a perfectly reasonable and understandable financial decision.
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lilygirl85 wrote: »
    I should add that I was only promoted to a new position last month which has increased my salary by £10,000 gross. This is why we've struggled to save any more than we already have.

Plus, as I've already mentioned we now have a wedding to pay for (and unfortunately it isn't going to come cheap!)

I guess I'm just disappointed that 90% mortgages are advertised but seem so inaccessible.

Would it not be better to have the house you love and just have a very simple (and cheaper) wedding? If you've already paid towards a big wedding, this isn't relevant but if you haven't, I would consider what's more important in the long run.

I dread the day my husband and I look for a mortgage, we haven't got a hope in hell if you're struggling :rotfl::)
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • The_J
    Options
    I think if you are earning decent money and want a decent wedding then you should go for it. It's something you could regret otherwise.

Personally I don't understand the obsession with getting married, especially before the age of 30. Should be house - kids - marriage.

I know that's not what the bearded man in the sky and his fairies say but hey ho.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The_J wrote: »
    Why is it silly? If you can invest your money at a higher rate of interest it's a perfectly reasonable and understandable financial decision.

It's only a good idea if you can find an investment property that pays a better rate than your mortgage; these are few and far between. There's also a strong temptation to dip into these funds when times are lean
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    Options

Also, everyone, stop giving them a hard time about the wedding (And 25k isn't that extravagant for a wedding). It's their choice. Hope your wedding planning goes ok OP

Does a £25k wedding make you more married than a £5k wedding?

Ours cost in the region of £15k, and do you know what? It wasn't worth it. If I knew then what I know now, we'd have eloped.
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that someone has already discovered the reason the OP was declined. In a previous post someone mentioned that if the OP's partner has bought into his partnership, he may be classed as self employed. Where i work, we would need to see at least 3 years net profit figures before making any decisions, if they aren't available then we might look at the customers previous salary, we wouldn't use any projected figures to make a decision. Depends what the OP has said about this when they applied but it sounds plausible to me.

On a side note, 25k for a wedding is a ridiculous amount of money. Of course this is just my opinion, but as the OP has now discovered, sometimes there are just more important things to spend your money on.

It cost us £28 to get married. I was just as married as anyone else (until my ex traded me in) :) What a waste 25k would have been ! We decided to get married in a registry office as we had just bought our first house (£16k !) and couldn't afford any more. These days, people want to spend stupid amounts on one day, i have no objection to anyone wanting to have a perfect day but i bet i could do it for less than £25k !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure