£4,200 net income per month and can't get a mortgage!

Options

Comments

• mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed. My cousin had a £25k+ wedding (all paid for by other people) and the marriage lasted less than 9 months. 4 years later the people who paid are still paying off the loans :eek:
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • The_J
    The_J Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    Options
    25k seems cheap to me, in order to get all family, relatives and friends from both sides, hire a wedding venue, pay for food/drinks etc. for everyone, band, dj, clothes, cakes etc.

I can't believe people still ask other people to pay for their wedding either so I must say I congratulate the OP on saving up themselves. I'd politely decline any offer of funds as it's my wedding, I don't think I could even let any guests pay for accomodation overnight either. Don't get me started on making people pay for drinks!
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • Neverland
    Neverland Posts: 271 Forumite
    Options
    The_J wrote: »
    ... Personally I don't understand the obsession with getting married, especially before the age of 30. Should be house - kids - marriage...

let me take a wild stab in the dark and guess that you are male then? :rotfl:
  • xland_2
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Yes it should. It reduces their potential loss in the case of them having to repossess.

Make a choice.

Welcome to the real world.

Helpful and wise advice, interesting you'll take time to post that drivel but without any substance at all that the OP can use (which is the purpose of this site). Well done you must be very pleased with yourself. .:T
  • Neverland
    Options
    xland wrote: »
    Helpful and wise advice, interesting you'll take time to post that drivel but without any substance at all that the OP can use (which is the purpose of this site). Well done you must be very pleased with yourself. .:T

Hmm...

..joined Sep 2010 + two posts = sock puppet?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Does a £25k wedding make you more married than a £5k wedding?

Ours cost in the region of £15k, and do you know what? It wasn't worth it. If I knew then what I know now, we'd have eloped.

Nope, doesn't at all. Last wedding I went to cost in the region of £90-100k. Smashing night (bootleg beatles played). That couple aren't more married than me with my £(n)k wedding.

If you want a wedding in the south east, at a decent venue, with live music then you easily are heading north of £20k.

I still think their entire situation could be made easier if they could borrow £8k from family
  • xland_2
    Options
    Neverland wrote: »
    Hmm...

..joined Sep 2010 + two posts = sock puppet?

Not really, I joined this site to get advice and information not necesarily comment, much like the OP who got fragged for (Wiat for it...) asking advice on an advice forum.
    Thanks for investigating my bio tho, now I have several posts, am I allowed in here now?
    :)
  • Neverland
    Options
    Nope, doesn't at all. Last wedding I went to cost in the region of £90-100k. Smashing night (bootleg beatles played). That couple aren't more married than me with my £(n)k wedding.

If you want a wedding in the south east, at a decent venue, with live music then you easily are heading north of £20k.

I still think their entire situation could be made easier if they could borrow £8k from family

Well the OPs problem is that her *wants* exceed her total resources so some have to be postponed or scrapped

I get the impression you think £8k is a trifling sum of money, but for most people in the UK it would take them a year or more to save that
  • The_J
    The_J Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    Options
    Neverland wrote: »
    let me take a wild stab in the dark and guess that you are male then? :rotfl:

Is it just women who are programmed from birth, via TV and advertising and those pointless, empty 'celebs' to want to overspend on a big party?
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    Options
    The_J wrote: »
    Is it just women who are programmed from birth, via TV and advertising and those pointless, empty 'celebs' to want to overspend on a big party?

No, Ringo's a bloke.
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport