We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Grown our own, complete novice questions

Options

Comments

• nicola00
    nicola00 Posts: 337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so in between the miserable weather we managed to get in the Vegetable Patch - Onions, Garlic& Spring Onions :j and strawberry hanging basket is up...... go me with the power tools lol

Peas to follow this week, can't decide what would be better, the trellis or Net & Canes
    Think I seen wooden trellis in poundshop last week, don't know what it will be like though

Also got 3 large bags of compost from Asda for £10, will use these for another planter of potatoes and a bag of carrots

I have also started digging around the shed to lay slabs for the girls outdoor toys, hopefully that way I'll get my decked area back. Going with the weather this week should have this done by the time the summer actually comes.
    Managed to get some slabs on freecycle, well I collect them tomorrow so hoping there all good to use, then its just getting the old arms and legs going to get the area dug and leveled
  • nicola00
    Options
    Everything's starting to sprought, what now??

How long should I leave them before moving to the larger tubs
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    Leave them in until the risk of frost in your area has passed otherwise the less hardy will perish

Then over a course of a week or two aclimatise them by putting them outside the back door during the day and bringing them in at night

then plant out. Good luck. You can speed this up by using plastic bottle cloches. Don't forget to water though.

btw I saw your posts about using storage boxes. They're not usually UV fixed and as they're not 'food safe' containers, may leach chemicals such as BPA into the soil (BPA is use in many food safe containers, but has been shown to be a frog hormone disrupter).

Saying that, I used a storage box about four years ago before I became aware of BPA. I'm still alive and don't feel like my hormones have been disrupted, but then again I've never felt like an amphibian. It became very brittle after about 8 months in the sun and it shattered during the winter meaning I had shards of plastic in the soil I had to remove.
    Tim
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi nicola :wave: have subscribed to your thread as I'm a newbie fruit/veg/herb grower as well. So far I've got mint, basil, nasturtium (edible flowers), sweetpeas & marigolds on the go ~ only sowed them a couple of days ago so nothing happening yet.

I've also got an old strawberry plant in the garden with runners that I'm going to dig up & put into individual pots, plus I've just bought some mini pepper seeds to sow. I have plans to grow other things but just sorting out the garden area at the moment.

Where did you get your apple tree from & what size pot did you put it in?? I'd love a mini fruit tree :o

tim_n, saw you mention your gardening blog on another thread & it looks great so I've added that to my list of favourites.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nicola00 wrote: »
    Peas to follow this week, can't decide what would be better, the trellis or Net & Canes
    Think I seen wooden trellis in poundshop last week, don't know what it will be like though

Well done on all your hard work. I think the trellis would make a nice feature of the wall and could then be used after the peas for a climber or ready for the peas/beans the next year. But really it's up to you. Netting is cheaper. From last year though I tried putting canes in the veg patch with netting tied to it and it sagged quite a lot once the veg got hold of it. It needs to be very taught to support the weight.I noticed last night I have one pea growing, woo hoo. I planted 12 plants and am planning on doing another sowing this week...hopefully there will be more movement soon!
  • CAT££
    CAT££ Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Nicola. My runner beans have gone massive. I am off tomorrow, so am going to transfer them into pots. All the other stuff i'm growing seems to be sprouting but not sure if they need to be transfered yet. My spring onions look like blades of grass. I've been told they can grow in a container the size of a mug.

I am going to get my potato plugs tomorrow. Rocket potato is apparently a good one to grow. I have found an old garlic bulb sprouting. I'm going to plant that, I think one clove makes 1 bulb. Very pleased with myself :)

Good luck, and keep us posted. Will try and post some pics on here.
    Cat :wave:
  • nicola00
    Options
    Ok people, got a little side tracked with my loft cleaning mission but still been tenderly looking after these little sprouters

Hope everyone is doing ok
  • nicola00
    Options
    Here are few freebies to get you on your way.

Free tomato seed:
    http://www.papasbigtomatochallenge.com/register-and-order-seeds

Free pea, sweetcorn and carrot seed:
    https://www.facebook.com/birdseye/app_167705676678807

Codes for the one above are - Then enter codes: GROWCARROTS, GROWPEAS or GROWCORN using L2025

Thanks got all 3 yesterday
  • nicola00
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »

Where did you get your apple tree from & what size pot did you put it in?? I'd love a mini fruit tree :oI got it from asda, It was reduced to £3, at the minute I have it in one of the extra large tub with handles, plan is to plan it in a corner of the garden once I have finished off the slabbed area (still to start yet tho :mad:)

Fay wrote: »
    Well done on all your hard work. I think the trellis would make a nice feature of the wall and could then be used after the peas for a climber or ready for the peas/beans the next year. But really it's up to you. Netting is cheaper. From last year though I tried putting canes in the veg patch with netting tied to it and it sagged quite a lot once the veg got hold of it. It needs to be very taught to support the weight.I noticed last night !
    I did try the netting but didn't look that good, so keeping my eye out for any bargain trellis
    CAT££ wrote: »
    My spring onions look like blades of grass. Mine too

Very pleased with myself :)Yay well done

Good luck, and keep us posted. Will try and post some pics on here.
    Photos please
  • nicola00
    Options
    tim_n wrote: »
    Leave them in until the risk of frost in your area has passed otherwise the less hardy will perish

Then over a course of a week or two aclimatise them by putting them outside the back door during the day and bringing them in at night

then plant out. Good luck. You can speed this up by using plastic bottle cloches. Don't forget to water though. Started doing this had them out all day this week

btw I saw your posts about using storage boxes. They're not usually UV fixed and as they're not 'food safe' containers, may leach chemicals such as BPA into the soil (BPA is use in many food safe containers, but has been shown to be a frog hormone disrupter).

Saying that, I used a storage box about four years ago before I became aware of BPA. I'm still alive and don't feel like my hormones have been disrupted, but then again I've never felt like an amphibian. It became very brittle after about 8 months in the sun and it shattered during the winter meaning I had shards of plastic in the soil I had to remove.
    At the minute I just have the apple tree in a tub and that will be temporary, will more than likely stick to the planter bags and I also have two wicker style baskets/boxes that I'm hoping I can use
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure