PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What actually happens if you rent out your property and don't tell the lender?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a property to rent out, but I don't want to pay the ripoff interest rates of a buy to let mortgage compared with a residential one. If I told the lender I was going to live in the property, and so got granted a residential mortgage, is there any realistic way they would actually find out? What would actually happen if they did find out? (assuming all payments are up to date).

I'm not interested in any 'moral' arguments for telling the lender- as far as I'm concerned the increased interest rates are an outrage, banks make plenty of money as it is and I don't see why I should have to pay 40% of the value of the property up front compared to 25% if it was residential.

I'd just like to know if there's any realistic chance of the lender finding out, and if so, what the 'sanctions' could be. Cheers.

Comments

• Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I may be wrong, but as I understand it if you got caught then basically you are in breach of your mortgage agreement and the mortgage complant can ask for all their money back, I do not know if there are additional charges on-top of that nor do I know if there is a specific time frame to pay back the money (i.e 30days from them finding out etc)

Basically, imo, it is stupid to go into this planning to be in breach of your mortgage from day 1.

Niv
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options
    Fraudulently gaining credit (which covers mortgages AFAIK) can mean up to 10 years, I believe.
    Silly move, better to pay the extra interest.
  • Lovelyjoolz
    Lovelyjoolz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    I'm confused. What "ripoff interest rates" do you mean? I'm currently paying 2.69% ABR on my BTL mortgage. I haven't found a residential mortgage to come close to it.

Perhaps you are just a bad credit risk?
    You had me at your proper use of "you're".
  • moneysaver45
    moneysaver45 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2012 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Niv wrote:
    I may be wrong, but as I understand it if you got caught then basically you are in breach of your mortgage agreement and the mortgage complant can ask for all their money back, I do not know if there are additional charges on-top of that nor do I know if there is a specific time frame to pay back the money (i.e 30days from them finding out etc)

If the only sanction for getting caught is having to pay back the additional interest, then I'd argue you're no worse off than if you paid the ripoff interest rate to begin with. You get a chance to 'get away' with it, so to speak, and even if caught you only end up paying the same as someone who told their bank right away would.
    Fraudulently gaining credit (which covers mortgages AFAIK) can mean up to 10 years, I believe.
    Silly move, better to pay the extra interest.

Now that sounds pretty serious- has this actually ever happened to anyone? Or is it just something that 'in theory' could happen (I'd find it very difficult to believe any judge in the land would give someone 10 years for not informing their lender that they were letting the property).
    I'm confused. What "ripoff interest rates" do you mean? I'm currently paying 2.69% ABR on my BTL mortgage. I haven't found a residential mortgage to come close to it.

Perhaps you are just a bad credit risk?

Well, looking at price comparison sites, buy to let mortgages are more expensive in terms of interest rates than residential mortgages in general. And the fees for setting them up are much higher too. Basicaly it ends up that the bank actually takes the lions share of the profit which is, well, ridiculous.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Apart from the risk of getting caught by the lender, the biggest risk you are taking is the your landlord's insurance will not pay out if your property is damaged eg by fire or flood.

The insurance company could take the view that you didn't disclose that you didn't have consent to let or a buy to let mortgage and use that as an excuse not to pay out. I don't know anyone that this has happend to, but others on here say they do.
  • Lovelyjoolz
    Lovelyjoolz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    Basicaly it ends up that the bank actually takes the lions share of the profit which is, well, ridiculous.

Still confused. My fees for the BTL were half what I paid for my residential mortgage and the interest rate is very good. Perhaps I have been lucky to find such a good deal then? But I can't be the only LL with this particular mortgage deal.
    Basicaly it ends up that the bank actually takes the lions share of the profit which is, well, ridiculous.

Which profit is the bank taking exactly?

The interest rates and fees for BTL should be higher than residential. They should be comparable to corporate rates, because BTL are sold on a business-to-business. Renting out properties is a business. Maybe if more people understood this, perhaps there would be fewer 'hobby Landlords' making a mess of things.
    You had me at your proper use of "you're".
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends a lot on the attitude of the lender. Prior to the crunch, I think they would always turn a blind eye more or less.

Now, the least they are likely to do is charge you the BTL and backdate the amounts if they can.

It's also very common now to see mortgages where there is a residential rate, a BTL rate, and then the agreement has a clause which means if you let it out without permission you pay BTL+x% (backdated).

What they can do is partly to do with what sort of contract you have signed.

Ultimately, they could just ask for their money back and foreclose on your property unless you could get it refinanced, but this hardly ever happens.
  • hermante
    hermante Posts: 575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

You want a 25% deposit, right? Let's buy a property together and I'll put up the remaining 75%. I'll take 75% of the rent from our tenant, thank you very much.
  • Werdnal
    Werdnal Posts: 3,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March 2012 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Many savvy tenants ask for proof you have consent to let or a BTL mortgage. No proof, no tenant.

Remember if you go for an interest only mortgage, the interest portion of the payment is deductable against any tax you have to pay on your rental income.

With so many different organisations having access to each others records these days, it is easier than ever for mortgage lenders to find out who is letting "illegally" - utility companies, electoral roll, council tax, DVLA, HMRC can all provide information to prove you are not living at the property.

There have been a few posts here recently from tenants who had received "for attention of the occupier" letters, which were from mortgage lenders trying to find out who is living at the address. With the ever increasing number of accidental LLs who are deciding to let as they cannot sell, it is only a matter to time before all lenders start trawling their customers to see who is doing so without CTL/BTL.

And if you are found out, how ever unlikely you seem to think that might be, it could seriously affect your ability to gain a mortgage or any sort of credit in the future.

Becoming a "dodgy" landlord from the start ... is that really how you want to run your letting business????
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    New tenants are conditioned by this site, others and the media, to demand evidence from their landlord that he has consent to let. This is because tenants are very badly affected by the repossession of a property where consent to let hasn't been granted. You could leave your tenants practically homeless if you fail to meet your legal obligations and are repossessed.

Some lenders now have systems to check the addresses of their customers across their group members and borrowers, for example with Halifax, are finding themselves being asked some pointed questions, if their Lloyds current account address is different.
    I don't see why I should have to pay 40% of the value of the property up front compared to 25% if it was residential
    I hope you won't mind me pointing out you're actually investing more in your asset, you're not "paying" out this difference. As a consequence, more of the income from the rent belongs to you.

You are entering into a business and should approach it with a business-like attitude. The mortgage interest can be offset against the rental income, together with other allowable expenses in reducing what is taxable in your hands.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure