Concerned about the children!

Options
My fiances brother has two girls which he looks after by himself as the mum is not capable (drugs i think!). Anyway last week we heard the oldest daughter of 13 was beaten up, a friend of my fiances came round and showed us a video that his daughter had been sent of the beating that she got. this older girl from her school was kicking her in the head, very disturbing for us to watch. We went up to tell the dad of the girl (my fiances brother) he had already seen the video and she has a black eye and cuts to her head, but he had done nothing about it.
My fiance told him that if he wasn't going to phone the police then we would. After the police spoke to us then went up to see his brother, he didn't want to press charges so nothing has happen. Is there anything we can do? please help as we are afraid of this happening to her again, especially as nothing has been done, he hasn't (and won't) speak to the parents of the children involved. thanks.

Comments

• hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    What a sad situation. I wonder why he wouldn't want to press charges!?!?! I can't imagine why any decent father wouldn't unless there's something else we don't know.
  • gron1979
    Options
    Thats my view too. I can't understand why he would be ok with someone doing that to his daughter, thats why we rang the police. When we spoke to him, he said that his daughter didn't want to go to the police, so he said he was going to listen to the CHILD! and i told him thats where the problem lies, she is just a child, he is supposed to be the adult! makes me so mad!!!
  • pingua
    pingua Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    How terrible. Are these kids from the same school?? Could you possible show the video to the school?? Is she alright and how does she feel about it all????
    How is she in herself??? Very sad situation to be in and I feel for any child in this position.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has the police seen the video? I thought they would have charged the girl whether your brother wanted to or not.
  • gron1979
    Options
    Yes the other girl is a year or two above her at school. I can't quite work out how his daughter is feeling, they both seemed to be talking about it like someone had tripped her up, very flazay!?! about it. But then that worries me more that maybe she is being bullied at school or picked on, as everyone in the school has seen the video as they texted it round to other people!
    I tried to ring the school this morning to speak to her head of year, but not heard back from him yet.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was this taken on a phone? I think it's awful that phone's are allowed at school. My ds gets picked on at school, and some people take his photo and post it up on Bebo.
  • rachelandgromit
    Options
    Sometimes the CPS/police will take the case forward whether they want to press charges or not. This has happened in some cases of domestic violence where the partner has retracted the statement afterwards.
  • gron1979
    Options
    The police didn't want to see the video until they had checked with the dad that they wanted to press charges, which they don't! The police said they couldn't do anything else if they didn't want to go ahead with charges.
    I think she has a low self esteem, as she just sat there letting this girl hurt her.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's a tricky situation. My instinct as a father would be to go talk to the parents. Not you, but the father I mean. As I don't know all the details I suspect there is something he knows (and maybe you don't?) that is an overriding factor.

The video in itself is another matter, is it a deliberatley filmed and distributed so-called "happy slapping" incident, or something of a personal fued that just happens to have been have captured on camera?

The REASON it occured is a key bit of information to understand if it will happen again....
  • pingua
    pingua Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like there is a very good chance she is getting bullied at school too. Hope that head master gets back to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure