Should Monica keep dating Bill?

Options

Comments

• abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    Options
    I'd rather be with a poor person than the wrong person. I couldn't stay going out with someone for money. Nothing like that impresses me anyway.

Half a lager and lime and a bag of chips on the way home and i'm your gal!!!

Rebecca x
  • irishwench69
    Options
    I personally wouldn't go out with a rich guy just for the money - in my experience, well off guys have tended to be rather arrogant and have other.....deficiences ;) :rotfl:

But if both Bill and Monica know what's going on (rich guy, pretty lady), then what's the harm? She can try and milk him - but he doesn't have to stay and put up with it does he?!

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • wdft
    wdft Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    She should be open and honest with the Guy, then if he is happy to carry on so well and good.
  • Targanielle
    Targanielle Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Been there, but in my case I'd known the guy for a while before we went out.

After a month of going out with him, I was certain that he wasn't the one for me. He earned a lot more than me, was very sweet, kind and attentive, in theory what would once have been called "a good catch". BUT not the one for me, money not withstanding.

So I was upfront, told him that I liked him as a friend, very much, but not in any other way. He was a little upset as his feelings were different but continued to see me on a regular basis for quite a while. Difference was, I insisted on paying for myself wherever we went, although he continued to ask me, every time we had dinner or whatever, if he could pay for me.

And before anyone accuses me of prostitution, no we were not sleeping together, or indeed having any kind of sexual relations, at any point in the relationship. (Nor, as someone else pointed out, should you assume Monica is having sex of any kind with Bill.)

Eventually I met someone else - but that's a whole other story!

So my advice to Monica would be, tell Bill how you feel about him. Be honest with him, give him the chance to be honest with you. And don't take more from him than you are willing to give in return.
  • lady_fuschia
    Options
    It depends. If she's going to stay with him solely for his cash, then that's unfair and dishonest on him - and she's probably not doing herself any favours either.

BUT if she is just enjoying spending time with him, getting a bit spoilt, hanging out together and having fun, and he feels the same about her - I don't see the problem.

Not every date you go on has to be the pre-amble to the happy ever after - some relationships, especially when you're young, are just about fun. When I was a bit younger I dated a few guys I knew full well I wasn't planning on spending the rest of my life with, and some of them were well off and enjoyed treating me - that wasn't the sole reason I was with them, but it's all part of having fun together and that's what some relationships are about- if he can take you for a ride in a nice car and a meal in a fancy restaurant, it's a bonus, I don't think any woman could legitimately deny that.

SO I would say there's a difference between going out with a guy you like (but don't love) and enjoying that he's willing and able to spoil you a bit, and seducing someone you find utterly repulsive and milking them dry for every bit of cash they've got.
    "People who "do things" exceed my endurance,
    God for a man who solicits insurance..." - Dorothy Parker
  • kikibee_2
    kikibee_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    why is he buying her love? get out money isnt everything. she is just using him and what is his motive?
    :happylove Kikibee :happyhear
  • Glowboy
    Glowboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has pointed out that until quite recently - the last century or so - this is exactly what most marriages were based on: wealth, improving social status and good prospects.

Love is quite a recent phenomenon. :)
  • Cotku
    Cotku Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Bill? BILL! Wake up Bill. How hot is Monica? Ask yourself, are you really, really attractive or is it your money that is really, really attractive.

Monica, be prepared to be called all the names of the day.

If Bill is too stupid to notice, he may as well propose to Monica. Then she can really fleece him and cheat behind his back to get whatever it is she thinks she needs in Mr Right.

----

So yes, Monica should stop dating Bill.
    :) Not in debt :)
    Saving water and power. ;)
    Going green with the green house. ;)
    Still driving though...:(
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    How many are going to forget the "for richer of poorer" clause in the marriage contract, during the gathering recession?
  • freebiequeen84
    Options
    Are we only supposed to date people we think are "Mr Right".

Sheesh, I best hang up my "First Date" shoes. *sigh*
    I don't believe in doing things the easy way..... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure