»

MSE News: Credit card annual statements to show true cost of plastic

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

MSE News: Credit card annual statements to show true cost of plastic

edited 29 March 2012 at 4:37PM in Credit Cards
18 replies 5.4K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 29 March 2012 at 4:37PM in Credit Cards
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Every credit card holder will receive an annual statement over the next year, showing full fees"

Replies

• Lovely.

I'm sure that will save us all £thousands.

They may as well put a Christmas card in with the December statement.
  • thegoodmanthegoodman Forumite
    1.2K posts
    What's the point, you can't do anything about it.
    Most people will think new year, new card and move on
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    23.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be interesting if they show the actual apr as those who mostly clear their statements and jut borrow for a month will no doubt have done so a lot more cheaply than by using a pay day loan or unauthorised overdraft.

I bet all my statements will just say 'Hi Stoozer'
    I think....
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Capital One is ahead of the game. I received this with my January statement from them. :)

Capital_One_Annual_Summary.png
  • Ben8282Ben8282 PPR
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    A bit of a waste of time really. I'm sure I'll just glance at mine and throw them away. But harmless and probably others may find them useful, so long as this obligation is not used as an excuse to increase charges/interest rates to cover the cost of producing them and sending them out .... all those 60p stamps.
  • oldvicaroldvicar Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I suspect that those who should use the summary to manage their accounts more effectively will be the ones who don't read it.
  • Gordon_the_MoronGordon_the_Moron Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    My statement would look near identical to the Capital One example posted (except with a larger figure for the amount spent as I do all my spending on it where card facilities are available) always pay in full on time, stay within my limit, never withdraw cash, only use it for section 75 protection and cashback. For me that statement would therefore be pretty pointless, not worth the paper its printed on!

I can see why it would be useful for some people but there should be a way to opt out of getting them otherwise millions of pounds could be wasted sending out waste paper!
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My statement would look near identical to the Capital One example posted (except with a larger figure for the amount spent as I do all my spending on it where card facilities are available) always pay in full on time, stay within my limit, never withdraw cash, only use it for section 75 protection and cashback. For me that statement would therefore be pretty pointless, not worth the paper its printed on!
    Exactly the same for me. Quite high spending figures as I currently pay my rent by credit card.
    millions of pounds could be wasted sending out waste paper!
    I would hope that it is sent with a normal statement, so only costing one sheet of paper per customer with no extra envelopes or stamps.

• WammerWammer Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Looks like Capital One is ahead of the game. I received this with my January statement from them. :)

Capital_One_Annual_Summary.png

I have a Capital One card. I have just checked the online statement I downloaded and I didn't get an Annual Statement?
  • edited 30 March 2012 at 12:20PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    22.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 March 2012 at 12:20PM
    Wammer wrote: »
    I have a Capital One card. I have just checked the online statement I downloaded and I didn't get an Annual Statement?
    Same here. My Jan statement had a simple one liner that is all I am interested in, Cashback £108.43. Anything more would have been a waste of 0s ;)

As has been stated above, most of those that really need to have this will just ignore it anyway.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support