bank charge from nat west

Options
Hi guys wonder if anyone can shed light on a situation.

I went to an alliance and leicester cashpoint recently checked my balance and checked the balance before i withdrew some money and it said i had a credit balance enough to withdraw what i wanted at that point. i had no dd due out so proceeded to take money out of the cashpoint! anyway ive just checked my bank and i have been charged 28 odd quid for unauthorised borrowing i rang the bank and asked why ?? to be told that what i took plus the 1.75 cash point fee took me overdrawn! i argued the toss and thent o be told that alliance an leicester cashpoints arent real time and mostly a few days behind with their balance updating. i am fuming!:mad: the bank said that i have had good will gestures in the past with regard to charges and are now refusing to refund me my money. what do i do BANK ROBBING GITS! now i am in the process of obtaining charges from the last 6 yrs on other accounts but wanted to keep my natwest account as my parrachute account but am out of principle not happy with the latest charge! anyone shed any light to help me out here.
:T This site is great! Thanks to Martin Lewis & everyone who participates and helps so many people! Without you all, where would we be ??:T

:A The days are long, but the years are short! Cherish every moment, you blink that moment is gone forever :sad: :A

Comments

• Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Were you using a Natwest account to get money out of an A&L machine? Or have I got that wrong?

A&L would not show an old Natwest balance, they would show the balance Natwest gave them at that point in time.
  • sarah1975uk
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote:
    Were you using a Natwest account to get money out of an A&L machine? Or have I got that wrong?

A&L would not show an old Natwest balance, they would show the balance Natwest gave them at that point in time.

Morning Al:o
    Yes i was using nat west bank card in alliance and leicester cashpoint! and your point made was what i was thinking too. when they check balance when you want money it contacts natwest computer to make sure funds are available before dispensing your cash! BINGO! well what i mentioned in my original post was what the bloke at natwest bank told me on the phone today totally ballderdash just fobbing me off. im not a happy bunny and really really need to vent at someone one thing being charged but being lied to too really really winds me up!
    :T This site is great! Thanks to Martin Lewis & everyone who participates and helps so many people! Without you all, where would we be ??:T

:A The days are long, but the years are short! Cherish every moment, you blink that moment is gone forever :sad: :A
  • sarah1975uk
    Options
    oh yes and forgot to mention he said that not all cashpoints are real time and that is apparently in the terms and conditons! ive never heard of anything so rediculous in my life as to this situation eh!

• sarah1975uk
    Options
    just ringing the branch directly ..spoke to the main call centre earlier who gave me the initial info this moring! grrrrrrrr

• Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't think machines did anything other than real time these days, not in the big banks anyway.

Was he trying to say the A&L machine held a balance for every account in the country?
  • deedee2665
    Options
    If i were you sarah i would phone their complaints department . A very similar thing happen to us with the natwest and we managed to get them charges back through complaining . It was a while ago now though. The phone number for complaints is 0800 0154212 option 1 .

Good luck
  • sarah1975uk
    Options
    Wooohooo just spoke to my branch to a bloke that was more than helpful and sympathetic he has agreed to refund the 28 quid and appologised...bless him for being human.:rotfl:

• feedering
    Options
    At the moment Natwest are settling claimss in full after the first letter.
    the way forward is the consumer action group .co.uk
  • s.duggan
    Options
    HI

Have just read your quote, and wondered whether you knew if there was an address that you should send Nat West Letters to or whether you should just send the letter to your branch. thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, regards
  • earwig
    earwig Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    please dont merge this as it is all ready in the main thread and has had no response as it has got lost in the other thread

hi who do i write to to claim back bank charges for my mum is it there head office or the branch and also how much do i have to pay for the last six years statements thanks
    i cant slow down i wont be waiting for you i cant stop now because im dancing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure