Moving from Virgin Media - What's involved?

Options
2»

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    So is it only BT Infinity that can give me better than 2.5MB? BT Infinity actually works out dearer than VM from what I can see.

(Thanks for the speed checking tips; tried again with Speedtest:
    http://www.speedtest.net/ which seems a better checker and it comes out about right)

No, as already stated, you can get higher speeds with VM cable or with any ISP that can offer FTTC. I have already suggested Plusnet as one possible that is cheaper, and there may be others on your exchange. BT is not the only FTTC supplier!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman
    Options
    usignuolo wrote: »
    I get the same result as Edgasket on the BT checker - 40mb with BTInfinity (not yet rolled out at our exchange). So who gets 100mb and how? And does unlimited usage really mean that with BT?

100MBps Infinity is only currently available in a very limited no. of places. Only the more expensive Infinity package is unlimited, the cheaper one is a miserly 40GB. Unlimited is always subject to an FUP.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    No, as already stated, you can get higher speeds with VM cable or with any ISP that can offer FTTC. I have already suggested Plusnet as one possible that is cheaper, and there may be others on your exchange. BT is not the only FTTC supplier!

I just tried PlusNet and they say 2MB speed is the best they can do. So looks like I'm stuck with VM or a cheaper but slower BB.
  • macman
    Options
    But that is on Plusnet's ADSL service. If you can get a BT Infinity service, then you should be able to get an FTTC service from Plusnet-use the number checker on their site for the FTTC services:
    http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/?source=subBox
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Ok tried that one on Plusnet and it says 40MB BUT the package for that and calls (£33 per month) is no cheaper than Virgin Media so wouldn't be worth changing for. Thanks anyway.
  • macman
    Options
    Are you sure that the VM price includes the line rental?-they tend to hide that in very small print.
    And is the VM package you are comparing to offering up to 40MBps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport