Where to buy

Hi guys,

I've had a little look around on the net but wanted to know where is the best place to get a boiler from and what's the best type to go for on a gas connection.

I'm just on a little research outing at the moment so I'm in no real rush to buy and wanted to get a little list of what peoples experiences and best buys have been.

I apologise if this has been repeated before I did a search but the thins I was looking for did not come up maybe it was the way I structured my search :rotfl:

Thank you for your time.
Kind Regards
x2o :cool2:

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    When you say type of boiler, do you mean between a combi boiler and a conventional boiler feeding a Hot water tank?

Having both types, I would come down firmly on the side of a conventional boiler; and, given the discussions on this forum, I think that is the majority view of those who have experience of both.

If you mean which boiler manufacturer I don’t think anyone can give you accurate advice on the best.

The problem is that models change, manufacturers are bought out, electronics are ‘bought in’ etc. So telling you that I have an 19 year old model X made by firm Y that has been trouble free is absolutely no indication that firm Y still makes reliable boilers.

For years I drove Mercedes that were of wonderful quality and never went wrong. I certainly wouldn’t recommend them to anyone now.
  • x2o
    x2o Posts: 123 Forumite
    Hi Cardew,

Thanks for giving me some of your time.
    Cardew wrote:
    When you say type of boiler, do you mean between a combi boiler and a conventional boiler feeding a Hot water tank?

Yes sorry this is what I meant by type of boiler currently we have a gas boiler that takes in water off the mains and also runs the central heating system so I am looking for something that will be able to replace this.

we have around 10 radiators in the house so it needs to be able to Handel this.

The problem we are having at the moment is it's cutting out every few minutes / hours so we have to hit the reset buttons and it is now getting on a bit.
    Having both types, I would come down firmly on the side of a conventional boiler; and, given the discussions on this forum, I think that is the majority view of those who have experience of both.

Can you recommend any websites that do boilers?

I've looked in places like wickes, B&Q and Screwfix but as I said I'm still shopping around.

Thanks once again.
    Kind Regards
    x2o :cool2:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I am still not sure what type of boiler you have. However when you say it "takes in water off the mains" it leads me to think it might be a combi boiler.

Both types of boiler heat radiators.

A combi boiler heats up water for baths/showers etc 'on demand'. Whereas a conventional boiler heats up a tank full of hot water(this tank normally in an airing cupboard)

If you do have a combi boiler the additional expence to get a conventional boiler, fit a HW tank with all the plumbing etc, will be a very expensive project.

I suggest the best bet is to decide what model boiler you want - e.g. a Worcester Model XXX and Google that for the cheapest supplier.

That said buying a boiler is a not the major problem, it is getting someone to fit it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure