We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Is this cycle lane a bit stupid or is it just me?
Comments
-
There are more similar (and worse) here:
http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/category/tags/silly0 -
Charliezoo wrote: »I saw 3 pedestrians nearly get knocked down by cyclists because they were unaware of the cycle lane and only checked in one direction for cars, as you would on a normal one way street.
When I worked in Central London, I saw this happen a few times on Tottenham Court Road (which is one-way northbound). In one case, the pedestrian looked one way, saw only a parked van and stepped out. Cyclist squealed to a halt and gave her a mouthful of abuse. At which point he notices the van has Police written on it and a cop has got out of the passenger seat and walked over...
Near where I now work in East London, cyclists frequently go the wrong way down a one way street without a cycle lane - since the "correct" route to their destination involves a half-mile detour to get across a dual carriageway. This would be a good place to put one of these...I need to think of something new here...0 -
The problem in general with cycle lanes is that the people who design the things probably have not ridden a bike since they were at school. Furthermore I suspect that they have some sort of quota on how many must be put in place. This results in lanes which range from inconvenient to dangerous. Of the 7 times I have been knocked off my bike, 4 of these were in cycle lanes.
Still, 14 posts on this thread so far and not one person has suggested cyclists should pay "road tax". Must be a record?0 -
-
davidlizard wrote: »The problem in general with cycle lanes is that the people who design the things probably have not ridden a bike since they were at school. Furthermore I suspect that they have some sort of quota on how many must be put in place. This results in lanes which range from inconvenient to dangerous. Of the 7 times I have been knocked off my bike, 4 of these were in cycle lanes.
Still, 14 posts on this thread so far and not one person has suggested cyclists should pay "road tax". Must be a record?
they use them to add to the 'miles' of cycle lanes in the city.
Edinburgh are one of the best/worst at it0 -
bengalknights wrote: »It wasnt a mistake they should be on the right hand side of pavement pedestrians on left and then only way they would get hurt by vehicles would be if the pavement is mounted.
so. you see that as a 'solution' to what?0 -
No more silly than the three foot long cycle lane on the A456 in Hagley."There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock0
-
Charliezoo wrote: »In a town near where I live there's a one way street, hardly any cars use it but it runs right past a big shopping centre so there's always loads of pedestrians around.
Now the council have gone and painted a line down one side of the road and made a cycle lane. I'm all for cycle lanes but this one is odd because it runs in the opposite direction to the one way street! I'm sure its very useful for cyclists to be able to go the opposite way but while eating lunch nearby today I saw 3 pedestrians nearly get knocked down by cyclists because they were unaware of the cycle lane and only checked in one direction for cars, as you would on a normal one way street.
I can see the benefit for cyclists but it does seem a little dangerous, anyone else think its a bit silly?
Rant over
I dunno, I reckon such facilities are some of the less ridiculous ones really.
Here's one locally
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=woking&hl=en&ll=51.317819,-0.556215&spn=0.006478,0.013078&sll=51.516516,-0.180911&sspn=0.051595,0.104628&t=h&hnear=Woking,+Surrey,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.317788,-0.556199&panoid=pE23MLy92fcJ1D9R2HTr0g&cbp=12,164.01,,0,12.85
It saves a long detour and it's effective use of road space.0 -
bengalknights wrote: »It wasnt a mistake they should be on the right hand side of pavement pedestrians on left and then only way they would get hurt by vehicles would be if the pavement is mounted.
Betty swallocks mate.
Recent death:
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/9579303.Grieving_parents_pay_tribute_to_cab_crash_victim/
Killed somewhere here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Robin+Hood+Way,+Kingston+upon+Thames&hl=en&ll=51.432014,-0.257439&spn=0.006461,0.013078&sll=51.516516,-0.180911&sspn=0.051595,0.104628&oq=robin+hood+way&t=h&hnear=Kingston+By+Pass,+Kingston+upon+Thames,+Greater+London+SW15+3,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.432014,-0.257439&panoid=RZPv8kT9nJkiOjgf_i89Bw&cbp=12,242.52,,0,1.18
Why?
Because he was crossing the road and was hit by a cab.
Pavements do not take you where you want to go. You have no choice but to enter the road.
Cyclists entering the road from the pavement are at very high risk of being killed. They move too fast for car drivers.
Here's another death
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2108501_witness_saw_death_crash_cyclist_in_the_air
there was a mistrial, but the motorist claimed the adult cyclist came off the pavement.
You are much safer in the flow of traffic than on the pavement (where besides being at risk crossing the road, you are at risk of being hit by cars exiting driveways, and you are also often at risk of falling off due to narrow/poor driveways).0 -
I dunno, I reckon such facilities are some of the less ridiculous ones really.
Here's one locally
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=woking&hl=en&ll=51.317819,-0.556215&spn=0.006478,0.013078&sll=51.516516,-0.180911&sspn=0.051595,0.104628&t=h&hnear=Woking,+Surrey,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.317788,-0.556199&panoid=pE23MLy92fcJ1D9R2HTr0g&cbp=12,164.01,,0,12.85
It saves a long detour and it's effective use of road space.
I would think that encourages cyclist to ignore road signs and rules of the road in general, such as the No Entry sign on the road pictured, although there isn't one on the left - they probably had to remove it to get the cyclepath in.
Cyclists are criticised for ignoring rules of the road anyway, this does nothing to help. Presumably they can also ride down the hill by using the road along with the other traffic. Wouldn't want them to risk a head-on collision with another cyclist going the other way would we now?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


