🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another poor day!

1.72 O's

Just seen on the local forecast that the Jetstream will be moving to the north of the country next week and that the warm weather will be returning!
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Woo, party time, 2.63 Os! Should still make August PVGIS prediction..
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    Woo, party time, 2.63 Os! Should still make August PVGIS prediction..

1.5 O's here today:D

Window out of PVGIS the gone has!:mad:
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    I do not have an accurate figure for generation yesterday as I left at 9am for a few days away so don’t have access to my TGM. My Moixa Dashboard tells me however that Solar provided 7.9 kWh of the 11.8 kWh (!) I allegedly used yesterday and it also put about 2kwh into the battery and I can see it did send some to the grid so I think I must have made at least 1.5 Os. Not too unhappy with that considering.

The bad news is I won’t be reporting any solar PV for the next few days as the system tripped out at about 7am this morning. It has now tripped out on 7 occasions including 3 out of the last 4 days, coincidentally just as the solar gets going. It was ok on Sunday as it was a dull day and it just seems to happen when the solar picks up quickly. For the first month or so it had worked fine but something is upsetting it. It is the RCD which trips. It resets and works fine until the next morning. Moixa have suggested they could fit a higher rated RCD (a bit of tin foil used to do the job on the old style fuses I recall). Any ideas on what might be happening?

I have had quite a few technical issues with my Moixa battery installation but have kept silent until now as they have made all the right noises about getting them resolved, although to be honest not much has happened. However, having to go on holiday with no data to watch remotely has pushed me over the edge and I am on the verge of having a good rant.

I hope I can perhaps also get away with one last question under this thread as it arose from checking my generation. A couple of days ago when I was in the loft trying to catch peak solar readings on the inverters, I noticed the one on my east bank had gone back to zero and was just again slowly building up. Again any ideas what might cause this? As I only go up in the loft very occasionally I am now thinking could this be happening regularly.
    When did you have the system installed? If I were in your shoes, I would demand that they either fix it to your satisfaction at their cost, refund any loss of generation, if not, Get in touch with Trading Standards as it sounds as if you have a system installed that is 'Not Fit for Purpose' and get a full refund... :mad: . 3.16 O's today...coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The bad news is I won’t be reporting any solar PV for the next few days as the system tripped out at about 7am this morning. It has now tripped out on 7 occasions including 3 out of the last 4 days, coincidentally just as the solar gets going. It was ok on Sunday as it was a dull day and it just seems to happen when the solar picks up quickly. For the first month or so it had worked fine but something is upsetting it. It is the RCD which trips. It resets and works fine until the next morning. Moixa have suggested they could fit a higher rated RCD (a bit of tin foil used to do the job on the old style fuses I recall). Any ideas on what might be happening?

Couple of quick thoughts, but these are just repeating stuff I've read, I'm no electrician:

1. What rating is the RCD, how close to the PV is it, though this is an unlikely issue since output early on is hardly likely to be high enough.

2. What rating does the CU have, is there any chance the RCD is installed on a 30mA board or side of board, as PV can have earth fault issues in damp weather and should usually be installed on 100mA. How were things before the weather got wetter/damper (not just rain to consider but dew too)?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Options
    When did you have the system installed? If I were in your shoes, I would demand that they either fix it to your satisfaction at their cost, refund any loss of generation, if not, Get in touch with Trading Standards as it sounds as if you have a system installed that is 'Not Fit for Purpose' and get a full refund... :mad: . 3.16 O's today...coffee.gif

Thanks Oscar

2 months or so ago.

I have already told them it is not fit for purpose. I have requested removal and a refund but I think after 30 days use I have to allow them the opportunity to fix it. I think the work involved in removing the system might make such a request seem unreasonable until all avenues to sort it had been explored.

If I got them to uninstall, how would I stand with a new FiT application if I already have had a system registered?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Couple of quick thoughts, but these are just repeating stuff I've read, I'm no electrician:

1. What rating is the RCD, how close to the PV is it, though this is an unlikely issue since output early on is hardly likely to be high enough.

2. What rating does the CU have, is there any chance the RCD is installed on a 30mA board or side of board, as PV can have earth fault issues in damp weather and should usually be installed on 100mA. How were things before the weather got wetter/damper (not just rain to consider but dew too)?

Thanks Mart, I will have a look at the RCD when I get home.

I’m not too sure how it is wired into the CU but the CU RCD (which is prone to tripping for unexplained reasons) is not going off.

It first tripped out on the 11th August which was a sunny day after I believe a cool night.

The condensation argument sounds a good candidate given clear mornings and condensation go together. Autumn weather will be just around the corner so that should really test them. Is it the panels themselves that are prone to earth fault issues or the wiring connections?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Mart, I will have a look at the RCD when I get home.

I’m not too sure how it is wired into the CU but the CU RCD (which is prone to tripping for unexplained reasons) is not going off.

It first tripped out on the 11th August which was a sunny day after I believe a cool night.

The condensation argument sounds a good candidate given clear mornings and condensation go together. Autumn weather will be just around the corner so that should really test them. Is it the panels themselves that are prone to earth fault issues or the wiring connections?

Hiya, it's the panels themselves, I don't pretend to understand it (I just know the numbers 30 & 100). Hopefully a leccy engineer can explain, but I don't think it's a fault as in something wrong, but rather just how they operate.

Back in the early days of chats, perhaps 2011+ the 100mA issue used to come up quite a lot, but not so much anymore.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,587 Forumite
    Options
    2.075 O's for us today:D
    Anybody there?:eek:
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Oscar

2 months or so ago. I have already told them it is not fit for purpose. I have requested removal and a refund but I think after 30 days use I have to allow them the opportunity to fix it. I think the work involved in removing the system might make such a request seem unreasonable until all avenues to sort it had been explored. If I got them to uninstall, how would I stand with a new FiT application if I already have had a system registered?
    Hmm, I think you would expect something that you bought, that cost as much as a PV system with a battery system to last longer than 30 days. Even Argos give you 30 days full refund on a £200.00 TV. You really need to speak with Trading Standards. I believe there is such a call as that you 'have lost confidence in the product & suppliers'? How many times have they been out to check the system; and by the way, it is not up to you to try and resolve the issue. Pick up that phone to Trading Standards that way at least the date of your complaint will be logged. Back to the Office: 3.72 O's today...coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure