Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    Hi Mart,

I got another TGM,the system on the garage "looses" sunlight about an hour or so earlier than i expected due to shading from next doors house. Can't even compare the 2 systems yet as like i said,plenty of lovely sunny starts but also plenty of cloudy-ish afternoons. After it was installed i read on here about a different inverter that only shuts down per panel,not system(if i read that right) Hindsight hey,never mind. Its in and up and running,done about 90kwp since 22/9.

Tunnel

Ps I've not ruled out the WNW system yet,got to talk the wife round to that one yet,may just wait a while to see how yours performs too.

The WNW system is a SolarEdge system, which is a basic inverter (no MPPT) but each panel is fitted with it's own power optimiser (PO). Effectively, the PO's are linked in series, but each PO is connected in parallel to it's own panel (I think that's right!). Anyway through the companies website you can monitor your system live, and scroll through the day to see how each panel was performing at any given time. 'Slim Shadey' the panel next to the chimney has often shown around 20W (noon to 2pm) whilst the other 7 panels are chucking out around 170W each (+/-5W), with no drag from Shadey. Very cool.

In August, the weather on average was definitely better later in the day than earlier, and the WNW system actually out performed the ESE system on a kWh to kWp basis. September was more inline with expectations.

So for the WNW you'll have to chat up your DNO then, and definitely get a third TGM. Best of luck.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats the one, "solar edge", Any ideas how it'd work when say 3 panels out of 8 become shaded,would the other 5 still work or would they shut down? Would be interested to know for if/when the SMA inverter calls it a day and needs replacing(possibly with a bit of extra wiring)

As for the WNW,i've got room for another 3kwh system so need to look into it to make sure its cost effective(with DNO approval)
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    Thats the one, "solar edge", Any ideas how it'd work when say 3 panels out of 8 become shaded,would the other 5 still work or would they shut down? Would be interested to know for if/when the SMA inverter calls it a day and needs replacing(possibly with a bit of extra wiring)

As for the WNW,i've got room for another 3kwh system so need to look into it to make sure its cost effective(with DNO approval)

Hiya Tunnel. It won't matter how many panels are in shade or partial shade, as they all operate individually. So you'll maximise potential. But beware that sentence, you won't maximise the panels, only their potential in any given situation. So a SolarEdge system 'makes the best of a bad job', but it can't polish a ****. If you've got a south facing roof with little to no shading then you probably wouldn't bother.

Here's an animation of how it works. It leads on to two more parts, but only about 10 mins in total:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsa9rHpDVmQ

The PO's have 25 year warranties (inverter has standard 12 year), but the main concern is having more kit up on the roof, where access may be tricky in future. Inverters are actually quite cheap, but the PO's will add about £40 to £50 per panel.

Another plus side is that the inverter is nearly 98% efficient. Also it has an enormous heat sink, the whole back of the inverter, and is mounted an inch or so off the wall, so loads of cooling, combined with much less heat (waste) in the first place.

The web-site also monitors your system and will report any faults, or concerns. By overlaying daily generation graphs, hard shading such as chimneys, trees etc can be identified and excluded from concerns.

Investment wise, WNW is very tight. I haggled hard for the 2kWp system, but even then it's proportionately expensive, with lowish generation. Also I'm discounting leccy savings down to about £30 to £40, since the more PV you add, the less use you can make of the excess. Including cost of capital, it's only really breakeven, but I wanted to maximise generation, and a wind turbine wasn't possible.

For 3kWp it'll probably work out better economically, but do the maths carefully. In an ideal world you'd do all roofs in one go and get a good package price.

I'll shut up now.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2012 at 1:32PM
    Options
    Meanwhile other companies are working on the panel cells themselves:
    Step one is to radically reduce or eliminate those silver connectors on the sunny side of the panel and try to reflect any residual light from the back side of the panel,

Step two is to make the cells with different layers, each layer better at handling a particular wavelength of the sun's emissions.(Just as one can buy double glazing with an almost invisible film in the cavity that blocks (some) infra red from inside the home but lets through UV and daylight coming the other way from the sun).

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Multi-Junction-Solar-Cells.htm

Unfortunately in my case the number one parameter was "Can you install before 03mar12?";)
  • shafeeq
    shafeeq Posts: 973 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2012 at 3:46PM
    Options
    Hi

5.55kwh yesterday... good news.. since 7th June 2012 I have only used 7 unit's of Electrcity :)

*edit message*

I have a backward running meter, it's only goes back on the last kwh digit. As long as I don't use more then 10kwh. It will stay zero. Unfortuntely few weeks ago we had few bads in a row where it didn't solar panel didn't generate enough to put it back so the meter ticked overy 10 kwh..

Shafeeq
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shafeeq wrote: »
    since 7th June 2012 I have only used 7 units of Electricity :)
    Maybe you should point out, for the benefit of those that have not read previous posts, that this is because you have a backwards running meter :)
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    Maybe you should point out, for the benefit of those that have not read previous posts, that this is because you have a backwards running meter :)

And a timely reminder to anyone with a backwards running meter that you should report it to your electricity supplier, unless you want to have to draw swords with them in future when they try to (over)estimate your usage.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And a timely reminder to anyone with a backwards running meter that you should report it to your electricity supplier
    I wonder how many times you have to report it. At least, on the other thread, shafeeq has received an assurance that he has done everything he could.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Options
    I'd say at least once in writing to the FiT team (assuming FiT supplier is also the electricity supplier) or the electricity provider's customer services if that is different to the FiT supplier.

Even if the FiT application form had a box to tick if the meter was running backwards (and you ticked it), if it hasn't been actioned after 6 months I'd send a follow up email, which I'd print and keep as proof of notification.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    11.5 kWh today from my system;:T which, you can work out is equal to 18.5 from the big 4's. Saved you the bother:rotfl:
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback