Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Still waiting for a perfect clear sunny day.
    You don't really want one of them ! On such a day the generation will indeed shoot up to a peak but will then drop back as the panels warm up. It's against all 'common sense' but a few shady periods during the day will help panels cool down a bit and hence give a better total output.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apologies all, been away for a few days.
    I've got a note from my Mum?

In reverse order, starting with today....

3.966 ho's
    4.995 ho's
    3.215 ho's

Still has us ahead of the game, so all good!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A/an disastrous day today...4.40 O's......coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    2.03 ho's .... Weds
    4.19 ho's .... Thur
    3.82 ho's .... Fri
    4.90 ho's .... Sat
    5.12 ho's .... Sun

Edwink ;)
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • jrfarrim
    jrfarrim Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Been away for the last 2 weeks, but July was my first full month.

Finished with 608kwh, 122 O's. 110% of PVGIS target.
    Bury - 4.96kWp system
    16 x Canadian Solar 310w Poly panels, Samil 4500TL-D Inverter, Direct South Facing , Installed May 2015
  • Markj1110
    Markj1110 Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    4.66 O's yesterday, best day again this month! Quite hopeful for today unless the rain comes!
    3.96 kWp System, SSE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 330W BenQ Panels, Solar Edge Inverter, Lincoln, Lincolnshire. Installed 26th May 2015.
  • Paino7
    Paino7 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, loving this thread - very useful for helping me work out whether worth investing...can anyone with a fair bit of shading (esp. chimneys) tell me how they're getting on relative to PVGIS? Either with or without solardege/micros. Thanks!
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paino7 wrote: »
    Hi, loving this thread - very useful for helping me work out whether worth investing...can anyone with a fair bit of shading (esp. chimneys) tell me how they're getting on relative to PVGIS? Either with or without solardege/micros. Thanks!

I have trees around the property resulting in considerable shading which becomes apparent when I look at the daily time/kW charts. However, with the micro inverters in my case the shading does not preclude my achieving results that over achieve on PVGIS. My shading occurs at times when production would be lower, i.e. early to mid morning and a little late evening. The micro inverters appear to accommodate the situation well. The very high MTBFs of the micro inverters should offset the concern about have electronics on the roof. There are various opinions about how to address shading. Other posters have followed differing approaches including in one case chimney removal.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 August 2015 at 8:18PM
    Options
    Paino7 wrote: »

Have exceeded PVGIS now for the past 8 months, with only the last 6 being solaredge enabled.

A recap for you...

Had a few quotes and went with a localish co to me who offered 16 x ecofuture Black on black panels, sma sunnyboy 3300 and all the extra gubbins needed (roof mount system, cabling, dc and ac switches, labels etc.) plus a Geo Solo PV monitor, all in for £5500, installed 21/3/14.

When the co (and everyone else) came to quote initially, I pointed out my chimney and asked if the shade would cause an issue - only one said it may and they quoted for enecsys micro inverters (glad I didn't go with enecsys as they went bust) to combat the shading, with a hefty £7900 price tag.

So, all installed and noticed a big drop in generation after 2pm, even in April. Spoke to installer and they offered to add 4 standalone optimisers to the affected panels for a price. I felt they hadn't listened to my initial concerns, so wasn't keen on having half a solution.

So, I sourced some SolarEdge optimisers (46 actually, from a failed commercial project) for a stunning price, with a solaredge key too (which I didn't need but is worth £60 on it's own!), and a brand new but older software version SolarEdge se3500 inverter, uk model for less than if I'd bought with an install.

I then spoke to several installers about fitting and swapping the inverters, discovering there is an awful lot of misinformation and back covering out there, this went on for a few months.

FYI, and anyone else reading this, you can change every element of an install, except the panels themselves, and it has no effect on your FiT qualification.

So, decided better the devil you know and asked the original installer for a price.
    It was doable and so my solaredge retro-fit happened on the 28/1/15.

There were some issues around the install which lead to some dodgy accusations which has resulted in me unable to recommend the installer - I'll happily tell privately and I have evidence and witnesses why.

Within the week I could see the difference in generation and there are some pics below to show the damage a bit of shading can do, but with a properly specced system, any roof can be sorted - but it is cheaper to do it on install than after.

20150411_174407.jpg

se_panel_view_since_28_1_15_crop.jpg
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • warrenb
    warrenb Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So today was pretty gloomy so only 2.95 Os
    Living in supposedly sunny Kent
    14*285 JA Solar Percium Panels
    Solis 4kw inverter
    ESE facing with a 40 degree slope
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories