Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Comments

• Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A/an Hawaii + 0.62 O's here and now today.....coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ely_ellis wrote: »
    The missus is suitably clued up on the usage scenario and is keen to use everything in the day. She has taken to watching the meter quite well and seems to be keener than me to use our lecy! Hope she keeps it up.
    When she switches something on she runs outside to the lecy cabinet to see if the LED is on or off. If on, she is happy (exporting), if its off, she waits for a burst of sunlight. (Is this excessive behaviour?). Martin

Absolutely not. We do it all the time!!!!
    We have been known to turn our washing machine off more than once (7 times once) during a wash cycle because a cloud or two has appeared. We even wait to put our travel kettle on before having a cuppa. It can be nightmare if we are up the garden working on the veg beds cos we do not allow ourselves a tea break until the sun comes out. Seriously!!:D

How else would we only use 1 to 2 kWh per day during the summer.

Our madness does pay for itself, honest!! Leccy DD of £19 per month and no gas!! :)

Edwink ;)
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ely_ellis
    ely_ellis Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2015 at 4:39AM
    I have seen a few DIY and commercial units which monitor the import meter LED, but as I just want to know if the LED is on or not, I will have a go at a DIY sensor that will just basically (wireless'ly) relay the state of the LED so I can put it in the kitchen. Maybe something very cheap and simple!
    I don't really need to see how much I am importing, just the fact that I am importing!

(Our lecy meter is outside so not so convenient).

5.25 'O's yesterday (18th)

Martin
    Martin (With an I)

4.00 kWp System, 15° East of South, 35° Pitch, 16 (250w) x 8.33 Eternity Panels, Solaredge Optimisers and SE4000(16A) inverter, iBoost. Just North of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2015 at 9:32AM
    I don't really need to see how much I am importing, just the fact that I am importing!

(Our lecy meter is outside so not so convenient).
    Martin
    Take a look on ebay at the EON energy monitors, they are current cost meters in disguise. I bought one for £15 on the advice of Martyn, it fits over the LED flasher on your import meter, then when you're exporting it shows as zero(time to turn something on as my wife says), works perfect for me.
    You can add extra sensors too to your generation meter LED which you can tune to another channel to show what you're generating. All done wirelessly.
    I have both, but in all honesty it stays on the import and I'm happiest on zero.

Just make sure if you get one its the EnviR model, you will have to buy an optismart add on for the LED, sorry...forgot that bit, it's been a while. You can just use the clips instead(should actually be more accurate)
    Here's one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EON-Energy-Saving-Monitor-Meter-Electricity-Monitor-/271924939519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4ffd4aff

Tunnel

ps, forgot to add..another Hawaii yesterday, this is getting predictable
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Pulpdiction
    Pulpdiction Posts: 228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    5.71O's for me yesterday, back in the game!
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    4.35 O's here yesterday:)

Past 300 kWh for July:D....raining here now:eek:
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • ely_ellis
    ely_ellis Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    EON energy monitors

I already have the British Gas one, I had it clamped on for a while but it is so inaccurate I removed it. Of course it doesn't differentiate between import and export, so not really much use.
    I packed it away.
    I will have a look around, you have pointed me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Martin
    Martin (With an I)

4.00 kWp System, 15° East of South, 35° Pitch, 16 (250w) x 8.33 Eternity Panels, Solaredge Optimisers and SE4000(16A) inverter, iBoost. Just North of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 July 2015 at 11:00AM
    EON energy monitors

I already have the British Gas one, I had it clamped on for a while but it is so inaccurate I removed it. Of course it doesn't differentiate between import and export, so not really much use.
    I packed it away.
    I will have a look around, you have pointed me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Martin

In that case ...... have a look at the BG monitor, see what it says on the back. I was given a SWALEC one by a friend and that too is a Current Cost model. It's an ENVi so not as good as the ENViR's Eon gave away, but still works piggy backing off the Optismart LED readers that my two ENViR's display. The main difference is that the ENViR's will display on their main screen, and do extra calcs, whereas the ENVi displays on one of the 9 device screens.

All three monitors came with cable clamps and data senders, I just put those away, and used the Optismarts instead to send info.

Edit: Once you get down to about 1A or less (230W or so) the clamps start to get iffy.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Markj1110
    Markj1110 Posts: 912 Forumite
    Been away, but readings as follows,
    Thursday - 6.1 O's
    Friday - 4.3 O's
    Saturday - 5.3 O's
    3.96 kWp System, SSE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 330W BenQ Panels, Solar Edge Inverter, Lincoln, Lincolnshire. Installed 26th May 2015.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    6.3 O's. Not bad given that the morning was missing.

150719_solar.jpg
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback