We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

MSE Blog: Digging Deep - and Saving Money Too

Options
Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:

Digging deep - and saving money too

"Many of the MSE Team have their own areas of special interest when it comes to MoneySaving..."
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2012 at 2:39PM
    Options
    All good, but a link to the OS Moneysaving forum for slowcooking might be good.

Worth noting that the live plants don't hang around for long in poundland. You need to get in quick otherwise what's left is the quite often dead dregs.

You can join horticultural societies - my local one is £5 for a year and you can save up to 50% off the price of seeds when bulk ordering with the rest of the society. They open up on a local car park every 2 weeks on a Sunday and other members sell their own plants and gluts.

Real men sow is a great blog - I did a similar experiment a few years ago weighing my produce and it got to be too much hassle! We worked out on Rhubarb alone we'd save hundreds due to our prolific plants, BUT we'd never have used as much if it wasn't available - certainly wouldn't have been spending £2 for 5 sticks of organic rhubarb! It was back in 2009 http://www.waark.com/2009/06/counting-the-cost/ (my blog) - I think I made the rent of the allotment back in a day!

Salad plants save you the most, things like carrots etc you can grow varieties you can't just get in the shops. Things that don't transport well just aren't stocked - that's why you'll get better tomatoes under grow your own etc than the rubbish like cold tasteless thick skinned salad tomatoes.

A £1 fruit bush of course will provide you with a punnet of fruit a year for years.
    Tim
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Don't worry Tim, I'll certainly link to the Old Style board when I do a slowcooking blog :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories