Sky 1, 2, 3 being removed from Virgin (ntl)!

Options
See here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a43031/virgin-media-to-lose-sky-channels.html

Looks as if Sky are employing some underhand tactics.. but this will be a blow to people subscribed to this service.

Comments

• Benny24
    Benny24 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blooming typical. I'm a Telewest customer, and I though I could smell a rat when I suddenly got post through the door saying they were changing to Virgin Media. Thought it was too good to be true!
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    Sky are also removing Sky3, SkyNews, and SkySportsNews from Freeview and replacing them with PayTV content that requires a brand new box if you want to subscribe. :(:(:(
  • drawle
    drawle Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    My Mum used to recive services from Telewest & Blue yonder. Ever since Virgin Media took over she has endless problems with the service, She pays for the SKY chanels and now have been revoked!!! they also cut the phone & internet off for no reason.

Is it revenge or is this company going into the ground???

I recently contacted Virgin media to find out what the hell is going on, seeing as my Mum is crap in this area of getting things sorted out lol.

After half an hour i managed to speak to a human. They were adiment that they wouldn't help me. After 20 minutes of explaning the situation to them I requsted to speak to the manager.

She said that the manager was at lunch and would not be there to take my call. I asked if he could call me back, she said that was not possible. I said is there any one else who can sort this problem out. ( The so called CUSTOMER SERVICE that she gave me was rubbish) Then said i can arrange a call back. I said ok but it ws still was unacceptable to me as the problem still persisted to happen

Any Ideas on how I can sort this
  • odowdchr
    odowdchr Posts: 800 Forumite
    Options
    Cutting the phone and internet off is normally a billing problem. What did they say the reason was? Did they not turn off the TV at the same time?
    Sometimes they can only talk to the account holder.
    The Sky channels being revoked (if it happens...) are the package ones and not the subscription channels.
  • gingois
    Options
    is anybody watching 24 via Virgin Media right now?

it's like watching really badly degaraded internet streams, and for some reason the audio captioning has suddenly switched on. Nigh on impossible to watch as a result: could this be a new chapter in the bickering campaign between sky and virgin? or am i just being a conspiracy nut?
  • Bleata
    Options
    Hi Gingois,

I spoke to Sky TV customer service about this - they insisted it was a nationwide problem and not just happening to us poor new Virgin customers (formerly Telewest - come back all is forgiven!). It did correct itself after about 40 minutes, but Sky One is still freezing and pixellating, did it through Lost too.

How lovely of Virgin to pay all that money to Uma Thurman to be the trendy face of Virgin/NTL. In the end what does it blooming well mean when we are about to lose our favourite programmes, Lost, 24 and Nip/Tuck. Don't bother patronising us with Uma - spend the money on getting Sky One back.
  • Mal27
    Mal27 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    This will likely be a short term thing. Sky needs a large audience in order to make money from Sky One. They're simply testing the water to see how strong Virgin Media is as a competitor.
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    drawle wrote:
    My Mum used to recive services from Telewest & Blue yonder. Ever since Virgin Media took over she has endless problems with the service, She pays for the SKY chanels and now have been revoked!!! they also cut the phone & internet off for no reason.

Is it revenge or is this company going into the ground???

I'm not an apologist for Virgin/NTL and don't like them much but to be fair this is all Sky's fault. They are in fierce competition with Virgin/NTL because they want people to get their TV from one of their satellite dishes and not through cable.

So Sky put up the price they charge Virgin/NTL to carry their channels, and Virgin found this totally unreasonable so they stopped carrying the channels.

The alternative would have been for Virgin to pass on this cost to its customers by putting up the subscription, which would have played right into Sky's hands.

We should all vote with our feet and just have Freeview!
  • makintracks
    Options
    taxiphil wrote:
    I'm not an apologist for Virgin/NTL and don't like them much but to be fair this is all Sky's fault. They are in fierce competition with Virgin/NTL because they want people to get their TV from one of their satellite dishes and not through cable.

So Sky put up the price they charge Virgin/NTL to carry their channels, and Virgin found this totally unreasonable so they stopped carrying the channels.

The alternative would have been for Virgin to pass on this cost to its customers by putting up the subscription, which would have played right into Sky's hands.

We should all vote with our feet and just have Freeview!

I read something in the Sunday Times about this - Mr Branson wrote an open letter to explain what Sky was up to. Sounds as if competition is very fierce between these two rivals and it is a shame... we could do with a bit more choice and competition in this market. Good idea - maybe we should all just cancel our subscriptions and see what happens :)
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Richard Branson or Rupert Murdoch.
    Whom would you trust the most?
    Can I help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing