Air Source heating in a council property

Options
Has anyone had this installed by the council to replace coal fire heating?
I have trawled through a lot of info but it gets technical and as it is being installed by the council I will not have say in which make or model etc.
So far unfortuately I have only had negative feedback saying house in cold and huge bills.
I am sure witht he right system and KNOWLEDGE it could all be good.
Just worried and looking for feedback from council house tenants.
We have a 3 bed house by the sea with 2 adults and 2 teenagers and are also being given solar panels. Although the hot water is situation I am not so concerned about as we have an electric shower.

Any feedback or help greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A lot of Council/HA properties are being fitted with the NIBE ASHP and these are causing trouble see:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2959648

These are a different type to the 'normal' ASHP.

There are lots of threads you can read on this section about the pros and cons of ASHPs. The main lesson to learn is that they must be kept running for a lot longer than other forms of central heating. i.e. don't have them switched off all day and expect the house to warm up very quickly when you get home.

What sort of solar panels are you getting? There are 2 types - 'solar thermal' that provides hot water, and solar PV that supplies some of your electricity.
  • exeastender
    Options
    Many thanks for the link - the first thing I will endeavour to find out is the make!
    The only info I have is is an air source heat pump will be positioned inthe garden which will be connected to hot water cylinder which hopefully will be in my airing cupboard where my existing hot water tank is.
    Water temp is approx 45degree to 48. It only tells me the solar panels are connected to the hot water cylinder and will help generate the hot water which comes out of the taps. As I have an electric shower I am not so concerned about hot water from taps as we all shower and have dishwasher.
    My major concern is will we be warm enough - will it be cost effective. We havve a payg meter which was already here when we moved in - but will be switched to economy 10.
    I'm afraid the jargon is all going over my head with Setback times etc.
    Thanks for your time its really appreciated:)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    We havve a payg meter which was already here when we moved in - but will be switched to economy 10.
    I'm afraid the jargon is all going over my head with Setback times etc.
    Thanks for your time its really appreciated:)

It is important that you do understand how to operate your ASHP.

The principle is to have the ASHP running virtually constantly in winter and just turn the 'wick:D' up or down as required.

You have solar thermal which will provide hot water - lots in the summer - less so in winter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure