Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Letter of administration

Hi can anyone please tell me if there are any links on here about letter of administration.Mother passed away without leaving a will and we need to sort it, thanks forany help.

Replies

• motherbmotherb Forumite
    239 Posts
    Thankyou for your help
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sorry for your loss. dzug has given you a good link, you'll have to click on to others, but the Probate Service really are very helpful and understanding, knowing that for many of us it's the 'first time', and for all of us contacting them we're likely to be grieving.

If it's a simple estate then it really shouldn't be hard to sort it all out. Do post any specific questions you've got and we'll see if we can help.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • edited 13 March 2012 at 4:23PM
    sagalout1954sagalout1954 Forumite
    418 Posts
    Photogenic
    edited 13 March 2012 at 4:23PM
    I used all the forms etc given on this site http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate (the DirectGov site probably links into there).

The estate was under inheritance tax limit and completing the Letters of Administration form and the accompanying tax form was EASY.

You will be using the same form as 'Probate' (something I was marginally confused about at first).

I got
    1) Probate/Letters of Administration form
    2) How to complete above
    3) HMRC form
    4) How to complete HMRC form (blimey - 44 pages, gave me a fright initially)
    5) Full list of where to send the forms, dependent on where you live or where you want to go for your 'Letters of A' interview
    6) What will happen at the interview and how long it'll take (swearing the oath etc)
    7) Current costs of Probate/Letters of A. £104 plus £1 for each copy you require - I've asked for several.
  • motherbmotherb Forumite
    239 Posts
    Thanks all, will have a go at them if not sure i will be back for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum