We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 8,057 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Been a few days since I've posted as had a bit of a shock when the quote from the plumber came through (eventually, after I rang him and it turns out it got lost in the post). The quote was much much more than we expected (like double:eek:), which I think was somewhat due to a combination of our naivety and him possibly not wanting the job/not being the cheapest around. I've got two more plumbers to ring for quotes, but the thinking at the moment is that we will do a lot more of the work (fiance is an engineer and mechanic so he's pretty good with 'doing stuff') and perhaps get a plumber in to do the really tricky bits (like moving the toilet waste slightly). Apparently there's quite a lot we can do that isn't going to cause the house to fall down before we need to really get someone in - putting taps on basin, bath, getting bath in place etc... So hopefully that will save us some money (especially as we don't have anywhere near that much to spend on it!)

We bought some furniture from Argoose yesterday - using fiance's S&S vouchers. Quality was quite good, but we've taken to calling it hobbit furniture as it's so small. (Ok, we didn't measure all of the items up, but we did measure the TV unit, which was fine. The picture in the catalogue is so misleading though - the windows and furniture are all scaled to make the furniture look bigger!

Also discovered that we have a leaky roof in one small patch where there's a cracked tile.... I think the phrase it never rains but it pours might be too much of a bad pun here, but hey ho! Will hopefully get this sorted on Tuesday - it's not bulging in the ceiling or anything and we can see exactly what the problem is, so hopefully nothing too major to worry about.

Have listed 9 items on ebay, so hoping to make some money there.

Cleaned and turned on our new-to-us fridge yesterday - a gift from my current neighbours. Cleaned up a treat and will be much cheaper to run that the unreliable "Bejam" fridge that was there but we decided to get rid of. Better go write a thank you card to go with the bottle of wine liberated from the wedding wine collection.

Wish it would stop raining!:(

Vicky
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Hi All!

Still got this bloomin' rain... oh well! It's good for the pond.

House is taking a bit of a back seat at the moment as we've got just two weeks to get the mini ready for the London to Brighton run and it currently has no engine and gearbox :eek: They are still at their respective rebuilders but hopefully will be back at the beginning of next week. Plenty still to do on the car itself, but it is coming along. Moneypit doesn't go far enough to describe the amount it's cost fiance, but we both love it and it's so much fun to drive. Looking forward to having it back on the road.

On the house front, we still need to sort roof tile, but know where to get it from (it's not a normal tile). Bathroom is coming along slowly, as is our bedroom. FIL-to-be very kindly offered to go and make good the walls today, so we've taken him up on that offer! It was getting to be a very 'stuck' project. We've done our research and will be going to the orange DIY store for the paint etc this weekend. Just doing a basket on their website now to see if I can make it to £100 to get their 20% off offer.

It's our hen/stag dos this weekend, which I'm sure will be fun but I think I'd rather have the time to be doing stuff! I'm going to Go Ape on Saturday, then we're meeting the stags for a meal (they are going karting during the day). On the Sunday I'm having a chocolate party - sounds yum! and the stags are going to a beer festival. It should be a good weekend :).

On another note, I've already sold a skirt on ebay that's been sitting in my wardrobe for years - buyer was off on hols so wanted a BIN price - I thought I'd be lucky to get 99p so to get £2.50 was a result. Bids on three other things too, with two days to go. Every little helps!

Vicky

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• megela
    megela Posts: 755 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm sure you've already realised but Crown paint is Buy 1 Get 1 Free at the orange diy store. Thought i'd mention it on the small chance you hadn't seen it.

Megela
    Re-mortgaged 20/04/12 MTiT-T3 No.7
    Start balance £89611.10 + £22500 = £112111.10/Current balance £85436.53
    Original Mortgage Free Date April 2032
    Target Mortgage Free Date July 2022/Currently August 2029 (based on no offset)
    Total overpayments from 20/04/12: £8152.95
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hi Megela,

Yes - that's why we decided to go there! Did the maths against Hbase's 20% but BOGOF is much better.

Thanks though!

Vicky

• megela
    megela Posts: 755 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Vicky,

By the way the Hen do sounds amazing, always fancied Go-Ape, we did a similar thing at a PGL centre and we loved it. Just waiting for my youngest to grow a bit as they have to be a minimum height.

And as for the chocolate party - WOW!:)

Also just a bit jealous of the London-Brighton run - must be a great atmosphere taking part in something like that.

I hope you all have an absolutely brilliant time.

Megela
    Re-mortgaged 20/04/12 MTiT-T3 No.7
    Start balance £89611.10 + £22500 = £112111.10/Current balance £85436.53
    Original Mortgage Free Date April 2032
    Target Mortgage Free Date July 2022/Currently August 2029 (based on no offset)
    Total overpayments from 20/04/12: £8152.95
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hi megela,

Yes, I've always wanted to do Go Ape, so I decided that now was my chance - I'm quite excited about it!

Chocolate party should be really good too - we're making truffles (the cheapest option lol - I'm too MSE for my own good considering I'm not paying!) and it'll take about 2 hours. We get dipping chocolate to dip fruit etc in to eat whilst we 'truffle' too. I've been to one of the lady's parties before and I know we'll have a great time (even if she was a nightmare to get hold of!)

London to Brighton will be great - if we make it :eek:. We've done it unofficially once before (we just drove down and parked elsewhere). Everyone who lives on the route knows about it and comes out to wave at you - I felt like the queen last time!! :rotfl:We've actually paid to take part properly so here's hoping we have an MOT'd, taxed and insured car by then!

Have established we'll spend nearly £100 at the orange place, so will go tomorrow and find some bits to top it up 'for free' as we'll get the 20% off. I'm sure I won't find that difficult!

Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    It's been a bit of a busy week work-wise, hence the lack of posts. But that's a good thing so I shan't complain! Also picked up what could be a hefty project from a new client, so looking forward to seeing where that goes.

Hen weekend was excellent!! I loved Go Ape and it was really great to see some of my friends overcome their fears and do it with me. Would thoroughly recommend it - we were there a good 3 hours and it cost £30, excellent value for money.

Chocolate party was excellent too - the truffles looked amazing when we'd finished - all wrapped up in cellophane and with a personalised chocolate lolly each too. I had a lovely time. (And there are still a few left -rationing them as they are so lovely!)

Wedding now seems A LOT closer this side of the hen/stag dos though :eek: Went for a dress fitting yesterday with the seamstress. She was a lovely lady who clearly knew what she was talking about so was happy to leave dress with her. I'm actually beginning to get excited now! :j

Would love to have some non-weddingy, mse, mortgage type stuff to comment on, but.... apart from normal payment going out, not a lot has happened. I did sell about £15 worth of stuff on Ebay, so that money will go into the repayments/overpayments pot. Also been doing the usual swagbucks, maximiles, superpoints stuff and now have £32 in Nectar points too.

Spent £100 in Ikea last week (although £20 was for Mum and £20 for wedding) and then another £80 at B&Q (but that was with their 20% off). Didn't have the flipping paint in stock did they though?!

FIL-to-be has been very helpfully preparing the walls in our bedroom ready for us to start decorating - I think he could see it just wasn't going to get done otherwise.

The mini has hit a bit of a stumbling block.... apparently you can't get pistons for love nor money :eek: The supplier is out of stock and has 120 on back order. As engine is in bits this rather means L2B may be scuppered. Fiance will spend today ringing round to try to find some - I may be off on a roadtrip later!

Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    Had a lovely weekend (again!). It was my friend's daughter's dedication (Baptist christening type thing) on Sunday, so I spent Saturday looking for a 'dedication' card and a present. Me, organised? I don't think so! Amazingly found a lady on the market who would personalise cards, so one with baby's name and 'on your dedication day' was produced - at £2.50 not cheap, but it was perfect. Was looking for a money box as a gift, but the silver ones were waaay too expensive, I guess to due price of silver, and the suitable ceramic ones all said 'Christening' or 'baptism', so also no good. Popped into bookshop on a whim and found a lovely compendium of fairytales for £12.99, so bought that using a gift card I had and a little bit of cash - bargain!) Parking cost £2.40 :eek:though which I wasn't happy about. It was a bring and share lunch afterwards, so mum helped me make a quiche - in the end we made two, my sister made two little gluten-free ones for her and we had enough left over to make another one for us for lunch! So a really fun and productive time. The second quiche didn't get touched at the 'do', so lunch for me and fiance today and tomorrow! Yum!

Have also secured a MS today (for one of my favourites), so will be off there in a bit, which will coincide with posting my ebay sale from the weekend. Haven't done a shop in ages, so will be good to keep my hand in.

Did have a £10 splurge in town on Saturday as well - a furniture shop had a sale on its accessories which included herdy stuff (www.herdy.co.uk) which I love! and it was 50% off!:T Was restrained though and only bought a couple of tea towels and coasters.

Must stop waffling on about non-mse stuff!

Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    I forgot to say that I sorted our landline out on Friday - went with the PO as they have free installation until 20th May and no minimum contract. Plan to get it installed and switch straight away to get Tesco broadband before their £2.50 offer ends. Line will be up and running on 25th, offer ends 31st! We'll probably lose a month (maybe two) of PO line rental, but it'll be a saving overall.

Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    Had a productive evening at the house last night - first one in a while! Got fridge fitted into kitchen, which involved removing a cupboard, which is now usefully located in utility room.

Also finally started the 'putting back together' in our bedroom - ceiling painted, cupboard had first coat and we're pretty much ready to start papering.

Went round and swapped the remaining 60w/100w (:eek:) bulbs for energy saving ones and will donate the removed ones to my Nan who can see better with them.

Didn't eat till 10pm though, and we both had early starts this morning, so don't think we'll be doing too much tonight!

Loads of work on at the moment too, so haven't been doing much survey-wise, although keeping up with Superpoints/Swagbucks/Maximiles generally as I'm at the computer all day long anyway. Quite relieved by the work as I know the summer (July/Aug) will be quiet and would like to have cash stashed now to pay bills and enjoy myself.

Vicky

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback