We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 8,041 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Weronika - cross-posted there! Normally I don't have a problem with them, but I've heard the nightmare stories and so I suppose it was only a matter of time until I experienced it myself. I've pretty lucky until now I guess. It must be very frustrating when they wake your little one up though - I can understand why that would make you :mad:!

Vicky
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Suffice to say that underlay did not turn up on Saturday, nor did it turn up yesterday either, despite assurances to the contrary when I spoke to the woman at the depot. In the end I had to get my dad to come and collect it with me (he has a big car). I will be writing a very thorough complaint - it still wouldn't have turned up today either - they hadn't changed the incorrect address, despite being told (by their client, the seller) on numerous occasions.

Anyway, I have it now!:j Sold several bits on Ebay, so should have about £14 to add to the repayment of loan pot after post and fees.

My challenge to last on the £100 may not work out - not only did I remember I need a new passport for honeymoon (although I'd let this come out of a different pot as it's been budgeted for), but the extra petrol that's been used running around after underlay means I will need to fill up sooner than expected. However, so far, so good - haven't spent anything more than necessary yet.

Vicky

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Posted Ebay stuff so when money arrives that's £13.33 to add to repayment pot.

Spent 41.33 on petrol this morning :( That's only the second time ever that it has cost more than £40 for me to fill up (car have a small tank, which does make it all a bit less painful, usually.

Just had to pay window cleaner £28 (for two visits) :eek: but fortunately this is at my Dad's house, so he can pay me back :) But that does involve getting the money out of him.:cool:

Sent passport application off yesterday at the PO - I decided against Check and Send as my mum and I both checked it carefully and it was a fairly straightforward application. Still sent it Special Delivery though so that only saved me £3. But, it's still a saving :)

Just heard back from Dylon about the curtains and sadly they won't dye, so will put them on ebay as they're good quality and now nice and clean. Will have to keep an eye out for some new ones now.

Ate at fiance's house last night and eating there again tonight - having a bit of a break from doing house stuff this week as we have other stuff to get on with. Saving us petrol though (and dinner costs :rotfl:)

Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    Ok, somehow I did my sums wrong - I actually added £15.87 to repayment/OP pot from Ebay, meaning that I now have £73 in there :) It's amazing how quickly all the little bits add up. Have asked fiance to find out how his mum wants her money back - in chunks or in one go.

Dad's left me the cash for the window cleaner too (sadly he had the right money, so no £2 profit for me :p), so will take that tonight when I go out for friend's birthday. Am a bit concerned - have looked up restaurant and it's not a chain - will be spending more than I usually do on Italian, and have no idea if it will be a case of splitting the bill or paying your own way. Hmm... Will aim to stay within £15, but of course will cough up if it's more than this (within reason!)

Weekend should be fairly cheap as we've got lots of jobs to do, but generally have the stuff to get on with them. Need to finish the de-tiling in the bathroom, clean the carpet in the dining room (again), put some beer on to brew for the wedding (mmm, I love doing this, it's like alchemy!) and help fiance with the mini (which needs to be ready in a month's time for London to Brighton and currently engine and gearbox are still at machining shops :eek:).

Off to flower wholesaler with my wedding florist tomorrow morning (she offered to take me and it sounded like fun). Fortunately I don't think I'll be able to spend anything!

Vicky

• themadvix
    edited 23 April 2012 at 11:45AM
    Options
    Hi All!

Friend's birthday meal was lovely and cheap too. Was so nice to go out with a different group of people (fiance and I still see a lot of our school friends, who are lovely, but we go back so far that it's nice to have a change). Restaurant was lovely and they did a three course meal for £13.50 (which I hadn't seen on website). Huge portions too :) So I managed to stay on budget for £15, not that I'd've minded paying more as it was so yummy!

BG asked me to provide a meter reading online for them. Was thrilled to discover that we'd used 3 fewer units by last Monday than they thought we would have used by 22nd March, so it's nice to be in credit there. To be honest, I can't see us using much gas at all in summer as it'll only be on for hot water for handwashing (and the occasional bath) as shower and cooker are both electric.

Weekend was very productive and relatively cheap - only bought a few bits of food and a couple of scrubbing brushes for house jobs. The bathroom has now been de-tiled and the floor taken up ready for the plumber. Garden looking tidier and pond topped up (by bucket!) too. Fiance's brother came and helped all day on Sunday, worked like a trooper, so we're very grateful for that and will have to repay him when he gets his own place.

Have moved my 'pay' across in readiness for bills etc (am so far ahead now that have technically paid June's bills, but am happier to be like this, especially with wedding looming).

Coldcazzie sent me a superpoints referral so I'm just trying to figure that out. Struggling to see how people get so much from it- I've not won anything at all on the spins yet, is this normal? (I tell a lie - I clicked again and I won one whole point!:rotfl:) Will persevere for the time being... (Have clearly got the knack now, just won 10 points!)

This week we're out for dinner Tuesday and Wednesday (DF's mum's birthday and my dad's birthday respectively. Still need to sort Dad's present but think an Amazon voucher will work as he's just bought a kindle.

Have a good MSE week,

Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    Hi All,

Am getting the hang of this superpoints thing... I have a referral link http://superpoints.com/refer/themadvix so if anyone wants to use it they are more than welcome. Have to say I'm a bit confused as to how they make their money - not a lot of advertising to contend with if you just do the spins and the emails.

Have been investigating MySupermarket a bit this morning (when I should have been working, admittedly!) - quite interesting to see the differences between the supermarkets. We're planning on doing an Ocado order soon to buy in some of the branded stuff that we use (we get discount). Think we'll try Aldi or Lidl for the own brand stuff like pasta and chopped tomatoes (armed with a list of prices for comparison of course).

£100 is still lasting, although once the cheques drawn from my account go out I won't have enough to fill up again (or do much else). However, have just under half a tank of fuel left, so will try to eke that out until the end of the week. Need to buy Dad a present today (Am gift voucher).

Sold something for 99p on ebay, so will pop up to the post later. Have been thinking about ebaying some of my craft stuff that I never use - not a lot of it, but it's also not getting used, so better out than in (and money in my pocket too).

Happy money-saving Tuesday everyone!

Vicky

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can thoroughly recommend Aldi - for the things you mention, plus others such as cheeses, cured meats, olives and antipasti etc, and run of the mill things like washing powder, dishwasher tablets etc. I do my main shop there, topping up (ie for things that they don't have in stock) at Waitrose or Sainsburys. One thing though - avoid their wine :eek: unless they have in a brand that you recognise. Everything else seems to be ok. Their fruit and veg don't always last as long as they might though.

I can't comment on Lidl, as I have only been in there once. Their fruit and veg looked better, at least on this occasion, and they seemed to have more recognisable brands, if that is something that concerns you.
  • themadvix
    Options
    Thanks Dawn - I'll definitely be going to Aldi soon.

Have now failed on the £100 challenge. Had to buy oil and coolant for my car at the weekend as it hasn't had a service in ages (Didn't *actually* have to buy oil, found loads afterwards, but there we are... we'll need it at some point...). Went to Halfords, used fiance's trade card and got Quidco instore cashback, so it was less than £30 in all. Then discovered we didn't have the right oil filter... (one on shelf was for mini instead!!)... upshot is we haven't done the oil change yet.

On the upside, I've just withdrawn £12.95 from a survey site that I'd not used in ages, so quite pleased with that.

Fiance ordered £70 of Argos vouchers from S&S at the weekend (will really miss having a 'dual income' from that when we move in together!) which will be used to buy furniture for the living room. Am now very excited and want to move stuff in!:D It will be lovely to actually have more than a sofa and some dining chairs in the living room.

Chased the plumber about the quote for the bathroom last night - good job I did as he'd posted three days afterwards (well over two weeks ago!) and I've not received it! So he said he'd email me a copy this evening... Bit apprehensive about what it's likely to cost.

Gas usage so low at the house that the bill was for £7.90! :jIf only it was going to stay that low!

On the downside, fiance had a puncture yesterday (massive bolt in the tyre somehow..). Went to Kwik fit as his dad told him they repaired them for free - it cost £22.50 :eek: But still cheaper than a new tyre I guess.

Dad's birthday today - he will get an Am voucher (when will I actually get around to buying it?!) and I did his ironing for him yesterday as an extra treat - ooh get me!:rotfl:Meal out tonight (again! Don't they know I've got a wedding dress to fit into?!), but I'm hoping he'll pay, else we'll be legging it out of the restaurant (joke!)

Onward and upward (or downward in the case of mortgages)...

Vicky

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you take the oil back to Halfords for a refund, if not needed? Most of the 'big' stores are ok with this, as long as the item has not been used / opened. I know they don't have to offer this, but in practice they do!
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hi Dawn,

Yes I could, but the reality is that we have two 'older' cars that we service ourselves and they will use this oil, so we will get through it at some point. Annoyingly the mini comes into an even older category for oil, so we won't be using it on that (which will be the next thing to need oil!) The last time we bought any oil was when it was on offer from our local motor factor, when OH bought 6 x 5l bottles... we're just finishing off the last of these now!

You'll be pleased to know I've just been to Aldi and stocked up on 'stuff' for the cupboards - only boring things at the moment as we've not moved in and don't have a fridge or freezer yet. But I was shocked at the price differences, even compared with the budget own brand stuff from the big four. So much so that I'm tempted to start analysing it on a spreadsheet.... oh no!

And I was good and didn't buy a Snickers!!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback