We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 8,057 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh! And I can't believe I forgot this, but they've taken out first mortgage payment!!! Still itching to overpay something.... mustn't break.... not yet!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    BG man came yesterday - all fine with boiler, but it's 23 years old, so we'll have to bear that in mind for the future :( However, it does mean our homecare agreement is now in effect (despite the many contradictory letters BG have sent!)

Also had a man around to give us a quote for installing a new bathroom and a couple of other bits. He's someone my dad has used many times in the past, and apart from drinking gallons of tea, he's excellent at what he does. So will wait to see how much he wants to charge. :o We'll be doing the rest of the bathroom - i.e. the decorating etc, so hopefully it won't be too much.

Did all my money-moving for Halifax yesterday and also rounded up the various bits of interest that have been paid on various pots of money - now £25 in repayment/overpayment fund (plus some other larger bits in joint a/c which have yet to be allocated and/or withdrawn). No interest paid on ISA yet, but am hopeful that should be substantial as it had my half of the house deposit in.

On way to house needed to buy milk and popped into Lidl as I was nearby - was amazed to discover price difference (79p for 2 pints instead of 90p at Sainsbury's:eek:), so am thinking that we will be making the most of the discount shops and just pop to the supermarket/Costco/Ocado (don't worry we get discount!) for the things we'll only have brands for.

Saw flower lady yesterday (for wedding) and have sorted centrepieces etc. Think I've pretty much decided against anything extra in church - can't justify the spending when we won't even get to enjoy it afterwards! The usual flower ladies will do their usual thing anyway.

Better get back to work now... Have a good day everyone/anyone?

Vicky

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lidl (and Aldi) are great - I now do most of my shopping at Aldi and am impressed with the quality of most of the items, and the price. I would avoid their wine, and you can't get everything there, but great on the whole. I only top up at Waitrose / Sainsburys now ( including wine of course :D)
  • themadvix
    Options
    Thanks Dawn :) Yes, was most impressed at the price and there's a Aldi nearby so will be making the most of that once we move in.

Off to buy bathroom suite today from B&Q. It's on special offer and we had already decided it was the one we wanted. Special offer works out cheaper in real terms than the 10% discount we could get on a Weds if we took DF's dad, so we're going for it. I also have some Capital Bonds vouchers which we can use there which will offset the cost (£14) of the van hire to get it home. Although Dad has just said he reckons he could get it in his car... Might have to consider that option!

On the upside financially we received a nice cheque from DF's (childless and therefore wealthy!!) Godparents as a wedding/housewarming present. In addition they gave us some rather nice Harrods teatowels! They'll look excellent in my kitchen!:D

Had a bit of a spending spree on Ebay on Saturday night too - bought the underlay for our bedroom and various other bits and pieces. However, used what was in my Paypal account so the whole lot came to £50 of 'real' money. Naturally went through Quidco to get cashback too :). Have also listed stuff on Ebay as it's free listing, so hope to earn a few pounds there.

Impulse bought some vinyl on Friday originally for the cloakroom, but now thinking that it might fit both bathroom and cloakroom, but only if the planks (it's wood effect) go the 'wrong way round' - i.e. across the width of the room, not lengthways. Any thoughts anyone?

Will let you know how we get on with bathroom!

Vicky

(PS Fish are fine, cleaned the filter and the water is beginning to look clearer! Had to top it up at weekend, with bucket because of hosepipe ban!)

• themadvix
    Options
    So we bought the bathroom yesterday, but 'saved' the £14 for van hire as the van was broken (a bulb gone) and they wouldn't hire it out:rotfl:(Ironic as DF could have fixed it in a jiffy, it being what he does for a living). However, the lady who told us this suggested that we get it delivered for free as we were paying enough to get free delivery. (Whoops, should have spotted that!). So waiting to hear from them now about when it'll be delivered. Suite went on the 0% cc, so we've got some time to pay it off - our first slow stooze...:D

Unfortunately didn't 'save' the £14 but spent an extra £14 plus vouchers on two light fittings for the kitchen and bathroom (but they were buy one get one half price and we really needed them).

Also bought some energy saving bulbs yesterday so that the utility room and outside light don't make my hair curl so much when I read the electricity monitor kindly provided by BG (even though we only have gas with them)! 100w bulbs now all replaced.

Just had my first taste of Activia Pouring Yoghurt - was sent a freebie as I'm registered as a BzzAgent. Was quite nice, considering I'm very conservative in what constitutes breakfast - if it's not cereal and milk it's not breakfast! Had it with cornflakes this morning, but think I'll try it with some fruit later, maybe as a smoothie.

Today being quiet on the work front, I'm making the most of the peace and have a long list of jobs to do, including finally sorting insurance for the honeymoon, my car insurance renewal, opening a joint halifax a/c, opening a halifax reward cc for honeymoon spending (and the £5, which I've seen curlygirl gets for spending £300/month) and paying some cheques in. I'll report back later on how I get on.

Enjoy the sunshine!
    Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    Productive morning so far :)

Have bought travel insurance - £64 from Axa as recommended by Martin, but for a very expensive honeymoon and price was down from nearer the £100 mark, so pleased with the saving. No cashback available unfortunately :(

Have bought car insurance too :T Finally able to say that the claim has been settled, even if it did not go the way it should have gone. Saved £80 on renewal price, despite the claim, and included my dad to get an extra £20 off (even though he rarely ever drives it). Decided against cashback as it used TCB's comparison which made it more expensive in the first place and there's always the risk it won't track. Went through Confused instead and got my 1,000 nectar points though :)

Disappointed to discover that I can't get cashback anymore for opening my joint halifax reward a/c - that was a nice bonus for opening it. Think I'll wait until we're married and in the house before I apply for it though - no need to create extra hassle!

Off out in a bit to do some more jobs, although trying to avoid spending any more money! So pleased to have got those two big jobs sorted though :)

Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    Hi All,

Feeling like a bit of a rant this morning - will save most of it for CityLink on the phone though. Underlay from ebay should have been delivered on Weds, to the house. Was meant to be next day delivery and had email from CityLink confirming etc. So went to house, spent money on using phone as tethering point for laptop (needed to work and we haven't had bb installed yet), and waited from 7.30 to 17.30. No underlay. Messaged ebay seller and requested refund which they dutifully provided.

Next day(yesterday), went to house etc, saw on website that parcel had 'been loaded onto van for delivery today'. Waited until 18.00. No underlay. (Problem exacerbated by phone connection being very poor and losing Internet which was vital to my work yesterday). Get home and find that website has been updated to say that they left a card as no one was in :mad: Absolutely fuming!! Worsened by fact that it says on website that they are open till 8pm so thought I could ring when I got home and rant and rearrange delivery, but when I rang the 'voice' said they shut at 6!!!!!

Was even more cross to discover I'd managed to leave phone charger at house...., (stupid girl) went back this morning to get it (at some ungodly hour) and double checked that no card had been left by Citylink (we don't have a letterbox in our back door, which is where the road is for deliveries, so I thought it pretty unlikely!).

I pity the poor individual who gets me on the phone this morning - I'll restrain myself from calling now (8am - when the lines open) as it seems a bit unfair, Friday 13th or not, to spoil someone's day so early on! (I will of course be polite as it's not their personal fault, but they will be made to understand how cross I am!)

I know Martin says to go through retailer, and if I have no luck with CL I will, but I feel that they've been pretty good so far and I'd just like the underlay delivered at my convenience really, which involves speaking to CL, not the seller.

Ooh, that's better to get it off my chest!:rotfl:

On the upside, £8 delivery charge is back in my account and I have two bids on things on Ebay!:T

Vicky

• themadvix
    Options
    Grr.... CL issues not resolved - apparently the driver is insistent he put a card through the door.... so it must have magically disappeared. I demanded a Saturday delivery (I have to be in for the bathroom to be delivered) and the woman on the phone wouldn't give it to me. So fiance is going to go to the depot later and have words (he works around the corner from it) and I've informed the seller of my problems. I will write and make a proper complaint too though.

On a more positive note, I'm going to set myself a mini-challenge. I've just been paid a fairly large invoice that wasn't due until the end of the month. Now, in the past I would have transferred the money straight away and divided it up between pots (which would be the logical thing to do here as I'll make interest on it). Now I have so many more bills to pay, I'm a bit worried I'll lose track if I get too ahead of myself, so for the time being I've left it where it is and I'm going to see how long I can last on the £100 in my current account (I keep it at about this level with plenty more easily accessible).

It would be great to get to the end of the month, but I think that's optimistic! I have half a tank of fuel and £14.50 cash which I'm allowing myself to spend. I'll have to fill up at some point (£40 gone!) and I have a friend's birthday meal to attend on Thursday (new group of friends so unsure of likely cost, although it's an Italian restaurant). It's also my Dad's birthday so will need to get him a present (already have suitable card). By that point I'll probably need to fill up again, so we'll be into real penny pinching mode.

Now, I may move the money into the correct places and make a record on a spreadsheet (yet to be created, how exciting for all you spreadsheet nuts;)), but I think I need to begin to get the hang of budgeting on a monthly basis as I've never really had to do it before.

Vicky

• Weronika
    Weronika Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    At least once a month I got parcels delivered to my address instead of neighbor. Today I was fuming, coz I just managed to put my monkey to sleep and the loud knock woke him straight up. Also, the delivery guy annoyed me coz he kept shoving the signature thingy to me while I was trying to find out for who the package was! He looked crossed with me that I spent so much time instead of just signing it off so he can be on his way!
    so, yeah, I can relate to your delivery problems, the drivers are on such tight schedule that they make all sorts of mistakes just to be done and over with it!
    Debt: [STRIKE]-£77.299 74,209[/STRIKE]-£72,860 Projected MF date(age):[STRIKE]2044(63)[/STRIKE] 2029(48)
    Credit Card 0%: -£1,800 Reg Saver: £4000/£6000 ISA: £0/£2500

From March 2012: Mortgage OP: £160 pcm
    (saving 29k):D
    Apr 2013 Goal: reduce balance to £72,000 to get 60%LTV & better deal
  • themadvix
    Options
    Result! Ebay seller sorted it with CL, underlay will now arrive tomorrow morning :j

Post has arrived too bringing £2 CapBond vouchers, two rhubarb crowns I ordered when T&M had free P&P on, and a bolster chisel to destroy the bathroom (my dad's one we had borrowed has just about given up the ghost!). I love the post!

Bring on a productive/destructive day tomorrow!

Vicky

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback