Pipex dial-up broadband

Options
Hi, have had this for a couple years now and finally getting fed up with it. We dont seem to have 'always on' broadband, but rather dial-up broadband. Remember the 'old fashioned' dial up popup box that came up? We still get that, dialing a number like 0 42 or smthg (cant remember off the top of my head) it only takes about 1-2seconds and we do genuinely get 4MBit B/Band (i've done speed tests) but this dial-up mode is restricting the use of a wireless box which i'd like to install, since we cant access the internet 'anytime'.

The frequency of line drops is annoying too (about twice an hour). Is this related. I'm temped just to change providers but i've always quite liked pipex since we joined them a few years ago.

Any help most appreciated!

BBB
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Viz_2
    Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like you have a USB modem.
    You need to change this to a router via ethernet. It can be wireless if you prefer.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
  • BigBouncyBall
    Options
    Lightning response!!

Yes we do have a USB modem. What do we need instead. I already have an ethernet wireless router from a previous house but its not a modem obviously. if i just search for "ethernet modem" on amazon or ebuyer will i get the right sort of thing?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • albertross_2
    Options
    were you on cable before? If not, your existing router should work
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Viz_2
    Options
    I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router. It cost about £50.
    With wireless you will also have to buy a wireless card and place inside your PC case. I have a Netgear WG311v3. I wouldn't recommend this as i've had problems when updating windows, the internet disconnects even though it shows as being connected.
    But you could buy a USB wireless dongle (not to be confused with a bluetooth dongle).

I think I bought mine from either Amazon or Ebuyer.
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you ring PIPEX they may be able to supply you with the device that you require at a reduced cost. I am with NILDRAm (part of PIPEX) and they offer this.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • BigBouncyBall
    Options
    I think i just need an ethernet modem. I have a fairly modern/basic Dell PC (80GB, 512MB, Win XP etc) once i have the intenet running through an ethernet box rather than a USB one the intenet should be 'always on' right?

I can take it from there, i've set up wireless networks before (we had a telewest tv/internet package - managed to get it all working fine)

BBB
  • BigBouncyBall
    Options
  • Viz_2
    Options
    Yes, looks good value and the reviews are good.
    Not sure about the customer support though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family