Orange - Charges

Options
I'm a longstanding FreeServe, then Wanadoo now merged into Orange Broadband customer. I pay by monthly standing order against my credit card.

Very surprised to get an e mail today telling me that my payment had not been made but not to worry it was probably an expired card or something else similar but that a £5.00 non payment charge had been levied! To correct the matter I should follow the hyperlink and submit my details, failure to do so etc etc.

In truth I thought this was a spoof e mail and very nearly deleted it (the e mail address was .com and looked wrong). I thought I'd ring Orange customer services and check (& alert them to this matter really thinking it was a spoof). In fact it wasn't, my card had expired.

I explained to the young lady that I was very concerned that Orange should be sending such e-mails in this day and age and expecting customers to follwo a link and give their credoit card details :eek:

I also expressed displeasure (politely) that a £5.00 fee be levied given that any customer who pays by standing order against a credit card would fall into this trap every few years when the card reached its expiry date - was this fair. An immediate result in that the young lady said she would refund the £5.00.:T

And then I get the confirmation e mail telling me my card details were in the system and evrything was back to normal - oh, and there would be a £1.00 admin charge monthly for paying by credit card :mad: This is something I've been doing for the past 5-years or so and no admin charge before.

Any thoughts.

Rgds all

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you switch to paying by Direct Debit? With DD at least you have some control but with a mandate against your credit card, only they can cancel it, should you choose to leave etc.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • *Sparkle*_3
    Options
    I was also a longstanding freeserve customer, until i started experiencing problems with my broadband to the point where i couldnt connect to the Internet, hundreds of emails and numerous calls to the expensive help desk didnt help so i decided to cancel this is after 6-7 weeks of problems, then i experienced Oranges terrible customer service, so bad i had to "write" (the old fashioned way) letter of complaint as they wouldn't except the written emails i had sent!
    Absolutely terrible and so glad i'm out!

Oh and another thing is, they only had my card details which meant i couldnt with hold the payments, unlike a DD which you can cancel and there was a long drawn out process to get the refunds for the months i didnt have broadband plus they still owe me £22.99 but i really have had enough with them!
    Abbey Loan £6,000
    Tesco loan £3,000
    Tesco points --- £100 worth £400 in deals for holiday! :j :T
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." (Charles Darwin)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure