We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Turf or Gravel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have to go the whole way & gravel the lot, of course. You could have some grass & some gravel.

For the gravel section you would first need to lay Terram. This is heavy duty weed suppressant which allows the water to drain through.
    Gravel needs to be at least 2" deep so for around 30sq m. you'd need around 2 tons.
    The cheapest way is to haggle with the suppliers for the best delivered price per ton.
    If my memory serves me well, about 3 years ago we were paying £40-£60 per ton the lower price for fairly regular grey chipping & the latter for Cotswold type. It's not cheap but neither is turf.

You will need to have a suitable area for them to tip it before you spread it around.

Once the gravel is down you can either pull any odd weed that appears (it won't root through the Terram) or spray.
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for your help, I am beginning to think it would be a lot cheaper to take the old lawn up, and to re-seed it. (thanks for that Kyrae)
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • ladylouise62
    ladylouise62 Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    I have quite a bit of moss on the small area that I left as lawn (I grow veg), and I like the moss in it - it's low maintenance and always looks green even in drought :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport