PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Extend Your Lease guide discussion

Options

Comments

• smilalott
    Options
    Depends how keen you are to extend the Lease, to go the Section 42 route you will need to have owned the property for 2 years. Unless you can get the rights to the lease extension transferred something I'm attempting to do but it can be a little tricky to get the timing correct.

Marriage allowance won't take affect until 80 years so you have time to wait. You usually put the current ground rent in the calculator, but as you have such a high rent this figure will definitely sway dramatically the amount of compensation to pay.

Until you get a proper valuation you won't really know if the Lessor figure is competitive. If you intend to sell the property before 2 years then it will be in your interest to negotiate it now, back up to 99 years as then the flat will achieve a comparable value to a freehold property, but that rent might put off prospective purchasers!

Personally with such a high rent I would go for the 90 years (so wait 2 years or get the extension rights signed over), reduce the rent to £0. If your valuation is greatly in excess of the freeholders go down the Lease Tribunal route as you then don't have to pay their costs. I think either way if you,re serious you need to get a proper valuation before making any decisions.
  • Becust
    Becust Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have 100 years on the lease of a studio flat in a locally listed building. The estate agency that manages the place has sent us, owners, letters indicating that the freeholder in interest in buying the properties and we think they might want to knock the building down for a new development. If in 10 years time I want to renew the lease, can the landlord totally refuse to do it?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Becust wrote: »
    I have 100 years on the lease of a studio flat in a locally listed building. The estate agency that manages the place has sent us, owners, letters indicating that the freeholder in interest in buying the properties and we think they might want to knock the building down for a new development. If in 10 years time I want to renew the lease, can the landlord totally refuse to do it?

I always thought that anyone who has owned the leasehold property for at least two years was allowed to force a statutory extension upon request. Someone else with more expertise may be along shortly to confirm/refute that though.
  • propertyman
    Options
    Becust wrote: »

If you extend the lease, yes they can.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1993/28/section/61

You might want to think about agreeing an option with them for the time when you do want to sell.

:eek: But bear in mind that if they do buy up flats, they will be rented out, and as the redevelopment time draws near, they have little interest in maintaining the flats, inside or out, to a standard that makes them saleable ( by you), nor a better quality of occupant.
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • liam1989
    Options
    sooooooo, ive had a response back from the freeholder regarding my inital offer of 5k to extend the lease by 90 years.

he wants 16k!!!!!!

had to laugh when i read this. obviously i will be contesting this.

looking very likely that i may have to go to a tribunal at this rate if we are so far apart with our valuations
    :beer:
  • AndyGuil
    AndyGuil Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    liam1989 wrote: »
    sooooooo, ive had a response back from the freeholder regarding my inital offer of 5k to extend the lease by 90 years.

he wants 16k!!!!!!

had to laugh when i read this. obviously i will be contesting this.

looking very likely that i may have to go to a tribunal at this rate if we are so far apart with our valuations
    What number did you get on the MSE calculator for lease extensions?
  • liam1989
    Options
    AndyGuil wrote: »
    What number did you get on the MSE calculator for lease extensions?

afternoon Andy,

the mse calculator quoted a premium between 7-8k. myself and my solictor have also looked at the calculator on the lease-advice website and that quotes a similar number (6-7k).
  • AndyGuil
    AndyGuil Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2014 at 8:15PM
    Options
    liam1989 wrote: »
    afternoon Andy,

the mse calculator quoted a premium between 7-8k. myself and my solictor have also looked at the calculator on the lease-advice website and that quotes a similar number (6-7k).

I agree it shouldn't be as high as the freeholders claim. Fortunately you have the law on your side.
  • solentb
    solentb Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I have a question about validity of a Section 42 notice.

I bought a flat at auction from the administrators of a bankrupt company.
    The administrators served a Section 42 notice before completion so that it could be transferred to me to continue the lease extension process.
    So far, so good.
    The freeholder is now questioning the validity of the Notice - because it was from the administrator - and will no doubt use this as a bargaining tool to get a higher price or put me off for two years.

Are they correct in saying it was invalid?
    If so, do I have any recourse against my solicitor or the administrators solicitor for not realising this at the time?

Thanks.
  • liam1989
    Options
    AndyGuil wrote: »
    I agree it shouldn't be as high as the freeholders claim. Fortunately you have the law on your side.

Yes exactly. To be fair, the letter from the freeholder's solicitor did state it was an 'informal' offer.

Therefore, I imagine that the next step he will take, is to have a survey completed, which will give him a more realistic valuation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure