How to get best price to scrap your old car?

Due to illness, injury and general bad luck I was unable to drive my car for five months. I declared it SORN and suspended the insurance. It was a Renault Megane Scenic. :(

When I came to try to drive it again the MOT had expired and the car was unusable. It wouldn't even start. Its a long story but I only paid £450 for it and it would have cost a minimum of £900 to get it on the road, not including tax and the MOT test and doing most of the work myself so I decided to scrap it. I did have 12 months use out of it and over 14,000 miles so feel I did ok overall.

I offered it to local garages, mechanics and friends as spares or scrap but had no takers.

I looked to put it on ebay as spares or repairs but saw that similar cars were only reaching about £50 at the most.

I've stripped everything out of the car that I could salvage (spare tyre, radio, seat covers, mats etc etc) and then spent ages trying to get someone to collect it. There was very little information out there as to what to do and when as well as advice from other people.

I eventually managed to find a company online who quoted me £160 cash to come and collect the car from the house and do all the paperwork required to scrap it. I've been totally honest with them about the condition of the car.

I'm not savvy or skilled enough to take the car apart and sell the parts, neither do I have the time or space as I think this may be the most optimum financial option.

I seem to feel that this might be quite a good deal but what does everyone else think? I'd appreciate some advice really. :o

Comments

• tim9966
    tim9966 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That's about the going rate for a scrap car to be collected. I'm just waiting now for a truck to arrive to remove my brothers Ford Fiesta for £150.

To get the more you would have to strip the car yourself and sell the parts, but if you haven't got the tools or time then for a hassle free removal you have done the best thing.
  • rogmar
    rogmar Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too have a car in a similar condition but i've been lazy and need to sort this out.
    Good Luck Everyone:dance:
  • If you want to scrap a car just plonk it on gumtree, your phone will be ringing off the hook. Beware about the £160 offer, scrappers are notorious for turning up and then changing the price (down).

MAKE SURE THE DOCUMENT IS FILLED OUT CORRECTLY.
    ''apply within'' :)
  • Thanks for that everyone. Good advice.
  • tim9966
    tim9966 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My brothers can was towed away without any problems this morning. They paid the price in full, so very hassle free.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I got rid of mine through one of the 'scrapmycar' type websites - paid me cash, towed it away, did all the paperwork and sent scrappage certificate within a few days - a google search throws up a few, but I used https://www.cartakeback.com and they were very efficient
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Another vote for cartakeback.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Just before you scrap it check to see what may be punted onto Ebay. Even small pieces of trim can get good prices.
  • Another vote for cartakeback,i received £200 scrap for my husbands laguna last year,arrnaged it on the monday and the car was collected the next day. It was the only one on the lorry that could actually still drive lol

my old megane coupe will be going this year aswell and will be using car take back again!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Drove my Astra to the scrapyard on Saturday and got £154 cash there and then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure