It's a goodbye from me I'm sorry to say EON

JohnG
JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
After a great deal of effort I've finally had to give up trying to get my concerns across to EON in order to receive something back in writing and in good time (via a simple email) in response to my current concerns relating to trying to renew my Energy Plan!

1. My current (on-line) plan runs out on 1st March so have been anxious to get a new plan in place before they switch me to their more expensive standard plan. However, their statement say's "They may charge" (£30 penalty) if I were to switch before the existing plan expires. I've spoken to two people at Eon, both said there shouldnt be a charge but didnt seem to be certain about it - the second suggested I simply put in the date that i want to start from but.... When I went back on the web page, there is nothing to give me the choice :mad:.
So the only option is to wait till 1st mar but I'm concerned that I'll end up out of pocket as I fear they will stick me on the standard plan before I get to sign up to my chosen plan?

Of course, because I'm on a on-line tariff they can't/won't help any further over the phone!

2. I'm also unhappy that their latest/final statement shows a months worth of higher Gas usage over the last 12 months than I calculate (we keep a record and send readings on a regular basis).
One of the Eon reps said there wasnt an issue as it's supposed to even itself out over the year (Which I wasnt convinced by), whilst the second, who was much more helpful, checked back thru the records and agreed there was a discrepancy but also said the bills sent out over the year appeared to be correct.

I'm currently trying to check this myself but in the meantime still wish to vent my displeasure at the above and especially the difficulty in communicating via email - it takes 5 DAYS to get a proper response which is hopeless when you want a quick response in writing!

I did discover a 'complaints' address ([EMAIL="domestic@eonenergy.com"]domestic@eonenergy.com[/EMAIL]) on a PDF page of theirs so resent my initial email to this (after a bit of reworking) only to get a msg back from them saying that it had not been forwarded and instead gave me the standard web page for their normal contact numbers etc - so a complete and utter waste of time! :mad:

I then went on MSE saw a thread started by an EON rep refering to 'Your Say panel' so I went on that only to find you have to fill out a very long winded questionnaire in order to be signed up! then after filling this in, it say you will now be asked to fil in further questionnaires etc etc and eventually I should get an email confirming my registration after "2 WEEKS" ! ! ! !

Needless to say I've scrapped that idea and will now switch to Sainsbury's - it's supposed to save about £90 a year, fixed till June 2013, no penalties and I'd get nectar points!

You might say why didnt I just decide to switch in the first place? i wonder that now but the fact was I (we) had been quite happy with Eon until now, so we were happy to stick with them. :(

Comments

• E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 February 2012 at 5:38PM
    Hi JohnG,

I hope you don't mind me popping on to this thread. :)

The £30.00 cancellation fee depends on individual cases, if you were coming off a contracted tariff early and then go on to another contracted tariff, you wouldn't get charged the £30.00 fee.

If you were coming off a contracted tariff early to go on to a none contracted tariff, then you would be charged the £30.00 cancellation fee.

This is the same as if you was on a contracted tariff then changed supplier before the end date.

I am sorry this was not made clear to you.

Also the advice about putting in the date you want the tariff to start from was incorrect. Only the agent can do that.

To stop your plan going to our standard tariff, we could have started your chosen tariff on the 1st March. This would have allowed you to come off your current plan, then straight on to your new plan without getting charged or going on to our standard plan.

The 5days is a default time to get back to you. We do aim to get back to you quicker than that and we are getting things in place so we can do that.

As you're a MSE poster, we do offer a email address in our profile, and you can come straight to us if you have any issue. We'll deal with the query straight away. I wished we could have helped you before you had decided to leave us.

Once again I am really sorry, if you have any other questions please let me know. :)

Amy.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not one for picking on people's grammar usually but Amy, you are supposed to be here in a professional capacity representing your company, and your grammar is terrible and doesn't make me rush to sign up with Eon.

It's not 'you was coming' it's 'you were coming'.
    It's not 'you was on' it's 'you were on'.
    It's not 'would of came' it's 'would have come'.
    It's not 'could of' it's 'could have'.
  • 1. You're worried about being on the wrong tariff for maybe 24 hours? Whatever floats your boat I suppose ...

2. Either the bill shows the right usage or the wrong usage. If it is wrong then tell them the correct reading and get it changed (or just wait since it will sort itself eventually). If it is right then stop complaining about it.
  • JohnG
    lithopsian wrote: »
    1. You're worried about being on the wrong tariff for maybe 24 hours? Whatever floats your boat I suppose ...

2. Either the bill shows the right usage or the wrong usage. If it is wrong then tell them the correct reading and get it changed (or just wait since it will sort itself eventually). If it is right then stop complaining about it.

Lithopsian, worrying about being on the wrong tariff for 24hours is one thing and "Hardly floats my boat" as you so sarcastically put, but no, it's the possibility that I may get caught between switching from one tariff to another and consequently get penalised financially for it - yes I do worry too much and perhaps I shouldnt over this, however, if I could of got clear and definite information (along the lines of Amy's above) I would be much much happier and relaxed about the situation.

Also, it's fairly clear the usage shown for the past 12 months is incorrect however it's also unclear as to what dates/readings they are taking their figures from which I believe is unhelpful and leaves a good deal of doubt in my mind as to whether they are playing fair? The two reps I spoke to could not give me a definitive answer either so I tried to contact EON via email as explained above - without success!
    So, your final remark to say "Stop complaining about it" (if the figures are right) is completely uncalled for imo - I thought I made it clear in my post that it was not right and this was part of my complaint directed at EON (In the hope the EON rep on these boards might respond to it in fact which as you can see, they have).
  • Sorry you feel that way, but it seems like you've got yourself in a massive tizzy about nothing. Maybe customer service wasn't as helpful as they could have been with your switching but it would have been easy to go on the web site tomorrow and change to the tariff you really want, with no possible questions about exit fees. Or if you don't like any of their tariffs, tell them you're leaving and you will not be accepting their change of price. I think you then have four weeks to get your application to switch in. Instead you are halfway to a coronary.

As for your rants about an extra month's gas usage, I certainly have no clue what you're going on about. Maybe someone else does? Is this just their estimate of your usage over the next 12 months? Does it affect anything? Are they trying to push your direct debit to a stupid level? Or are you just looking for stuff to get annoyed about?

If your explanations on this forum are as helpful as the ones you submitted to customer service, I'm not surprised that you haven't had helpful replies.
  • JohnG
    Hi JohnG,

I hope you don't mind me popping on to this thread. :)

The £30.00 cancellation fee depends on individual cases, if you were coming off a contracted tariff early and then go on to another contracted tariff, you wouldn't get charged the £30.00 fee.

If you were coming off a contracted tariff early to go on to a none contracted tariff, then you would be charged the £30.00 cancellation fee.

This is the same as if you was on a contracted tariff then changed supplier before the end date.

I am sorry this was not made clear to you.

Also the advice about putting in the date you want the tariff to start from was incorrect. Only the agent can do that.

To stop your plan going to our standard tariff, we could have started your chosen tariff on the 1st March. This would have allowed you to come off your current plan, then straight on to your new plan without getting charged or going on to our standard plan.

The 5days is a default time to get back to you. We do aim to get back to you quicker than that and we are getting things in place so we can do that.

As you're a MSE poster, we do offer a email address in our profile, and you can come straight to us if you have any issue. We'll deal with the query straight away. I wished we could have helped you before you had decided to leave us.

Once again I am really sorry, if you have any other questions please let me know. :)

Amy.

Many thanks Amy for your input - it makes a massive difference to get some straight answers (in writing albeit on MSE)
    I'm going to sleep on it as to whether to switch suppliers and make a final decision tomorrow. I'm still a bit bemused by the 12 month usage rate shown for Gas (Based on our regular readings it's more like 13 months rather than 12) but whether that has any affect on what we are actually charged, I'm not at all sure?

I sent an enquiry via email a month or so ago and it took precisely 5 days before I received a response - it's really surprising that it should take that long each time to get a reply via email?

JohnG
  • JohnG
    lithopsian wrote: »
    Sorry you feel that way, but it seems like you've got yourself in a massive tizzy about nothing. Maybe customer service wasn't as helpful as they could have been with your switching but it would have been easy to go on the web site tomorrow and change to the tariff you really want, with no possible questions about exit fees. Or if you don't like any of their tariffs, tell them you're leaving and you will not be accepting their change of price. I think you then have four weeks to get your application to switch in. Instead you are halfway to a coronary.

As for your rants about an extra month's gas usage, I certainly have no clue what you're going on about. Maybe someone else does? Is this just their estimate of your usage over the next 12 months? Does it affect anything? Are they trying to push your direct debit to a stupid level? Or are you just looking for stuff to get annoyed about?

If your explanations on this forum are as helpful as the ones you submitted to customer service, I'm not surprised that you haven't had helpful replies.

The vast majority of users on this site tend to show more empathy towards this type of 'Rant' (fortunately), you on the other hand seem to say one thing that eludes to partially understanding only then to suddenly turn face and make uneccessary snide and unpleasant remarks.

For that reason I can on conclude you are one of those WUM's that pop up from time to time? So, no thanks for your replies, I'd rather you didn't bother yourself in future. :)
  • Airmike23
    Airmike23 Posts: 403 Forumite
    on your online bills it gives you the gas meter reading conversion sum, so look at a reading from this year, one from approx same time last year and convert gas reads yourself to annual kWh usage if concerned about est usage statement on the eon bill, do same for elec, but no need to convert usage, elec meter reads in kWh.
  • cottonhead
    cottonhead Posts: 696 Forumite
    I would agree that leaving Eon is the way to go. See my comment on the Eon thread above and why I have complained to the office of fair trading.
    I also think that 'Amy' you seem to care about customers because you are here responding to peoples concerns but may I suggest you use your talents elsewhere. Eon are terrible at customer service and you are just fighting a losing battle. Use your customer service skills with an organisation that has a better reuptation when you are able.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure