Can you paint UPVC window frames?

Options
124»

Comments

• analyst_2
    analyst_2 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Leif wrote: »
    . . . it seems daft to paint UPVC. . . . Painting UPVC seems to defeat the point of it in my view.
    I've been asked to paint an elderly friend's garage door in a new-ish house. It has been left in white primed metal, but installed with a upvc surround.

She wants it painted brown, against a brownish colour brickwork.

How stupid would it look if I left it with a gleaming white upvc border right around it?
    Now do you see why you might want to paint upvc?
    The bankers stole my pension (and everyone else's). It should have earned a lot of money, but they took their bonus pot first.
  • jopov
    jopov Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The house I moved into had a very large dark brown pvc back door which was fine until we added an extension and updated the kitchen when it became an inner door. I painted it with International Garage Floor paint (grey) in 2009. It's now summer 2014 and there's still not a scratch on them. The door is half glass with an attached large side window and windows above. It has not only had 2 children growing up and crashing through it but all the materials for the extension went through it as I have no rear access. It's also withstood 2 tons of gravel being shipped through on a hand cart into the garden. Proof indeed of the coverage of the paint. When I got a new front porch door fitted in 2012 I also painted the 'old' double doors inside with the same paint in light cream. I didn't sand the frames or anything, just washed them in normal washing up liquid to remove dirt and grease first. One coat covered fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure