Can you paint UPVC window frames?

Options

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    I wish the mods could set up a system so that new posters couldn't comment on a post that was more than say 3 months old. Would save a lot of this garbage!!
    Agree totally. I suggested a while back that all threads should be automatically locked when they turn 6 months old so that they can't be added to but still available for reference via the search function. Perhaps noone on the team spotted it - can't even remember which thread it was in myself now. :o

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • JulieWhite
    Options
    There is a paint called Kolorbond which is guaranteed to stick to PVC window frames. It even sticks to the plastic wood effect on brown window frames.
  • PenniPinch
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    And what is the purpose of digging up a three year old post?

well i found it useful reading this the first time in Dec 2011, so what if the thread is old is the thread no longer relevant, are new pieces of information no longer relevant?

Phill your post simply clogged up the thread, (like this one, although i cant stand trolls so i couldnt resist it):mad:.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    I know this thread is old, but it seems daft to paint UPVC. Paint does not last as long as UPVC, and once it cracks, how do you repaint? You can't use most strippers as they damage plastic, even so called eco ones. You can't use a heat gun. So you have to sand. Painting UPVC seems to defeat the point of it in my view.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    Leif wrote: »
    I know this thread is old, but it seems daft to paint UPVC. Paint does not last as long as UPVC, and once it cracks, how do you repaint? You can't use most strippers as they damage plastic, even so called eco ones. You can't use a heat gun. So you have to sand. Painting UPVC seems to defeat the point of it in my view.

i've donwe several jobs painting upvc with bedec multi surface paint - water based , doesn't peel or crack or blister if done right , doesn't need buring off when redec required , just needs a light sand down and wash with sugar soap .
    the last job i did was about 4 years ago , still looks good apart from being a bit dusty
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    nickj wrote: »
    i've donwe several jobs painting upvc with bedec multi surface paint - water based , doesn't peel or crack or blister if done right , doesn't need buring off when redec required , just needs a light sand down and wash with sugar soap .
    the last job i did was about 4 years ago , still looks good apart from being a bit dusty

I take your points, but surely a key reason for uPVC is low maintenance. My window frames are 20 years old and look fine.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • nickj_2
    Options
    Leif wrote: »
    I take your points, but surely a key reason for uPVC is low maintenance. My window frames are 20 years old and look fine.

unfortunately when upvc windows came out everyone thought ," great i don't have to worry about them ", however it you want to keep them looking great then you need to not just clean the glass , but the plastic as well and this is what people gernerally fail to do , once they get dirty , eventually the grime will stain the upvc and cannot be shifted
  • eugener
    eugener Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I think this post is great and I'm glad folks are still posting!

We're about to move in to a house with uPVC windows and I want to paint them, so the info in this post is great - I HATE the look of uPVC windows and would never choose them myself, so as part of redecorating the outside of what is a very boring looking house, I want to spruce up the windows as replacing them would cost a fortune.

When using the undercoat products, do you still need to give the frames a light sand for a key or does the undercoat 'react' with the uPVC to do that for you?
  • nickj_2
    Options
    eugener wrote: »
    Personally I think this post is great and I'm glad folks are still posting!

We're about to move in to a house with uPVC windows and I want to paint them, so the info in this post is great - I HATE the look of uPVC windows and would never choose them myself, so as part of redecorating the outside of what is a very boring looking house, I want to spruce up the windows as replacing them would cost a fortune.

When using the undercoat products, do you still need to give the frames a light sand for a key or does the undercoat 'react' with the uPVC to do that for you?

i would not use any paint that required undercoat , over the course of time solvent paints will go brittle and peel/flake etc , i have used bedec multi surface paint on several upvc jobs and it doesn't need u/c http://www.bedec.co.uk/
    this paint will not flake or peel
  • ukstocks5
    ukstocks5 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    give them a light sand and then use an aerosol spray on them, they come up great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure