Fibromyalgia and DLA

Options
Hi I am totally new here....

I am not on benefits, but recently it has been suggested to me that I make a claim for DLA because I have Fibromyalgia, it can be very severe at times and there is no cure. I was diagnosed with this 12 months ago, however I have suffered with the chronic pain for about 2 years now, recently it has got worse.

I have other conditions too.. hypermobility, high blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and tennis elbow which I realise aren't disabilities as such. However its for the Fibromyalgia that I was suggested to claim for.

Does anyone here also have Firbomyalgia and claims it.

Is it worth me applying or am i wasting my time?

Any help would be appreciated... thank you in advance

Comments

• QuackQuackOops
    Options
    Siusaidh wrote: »

I am not on benefits, but recently it has been suggested to me that I make a claim for DLA because I have Fibromyalgia, it can be very severe at times and there is no cure. I was diagnosed with this 12 months ago, however I have suffered with the chronic pain for about 2 years now, recently it has got worse.

I have other conditions too.. hypermobility, high blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and tennis elbow which I realise aren't disabilities as such. However its for the Fibromyalgia that I was suggested to claim for.

Does anyone here also have Firbomyalgia and claims it.

Is it worth me applying or am i wasting my time?

Any help would be appreciated... thank you in advance
    You make a claim for DLA for mobility needs and care needs. It doesnt matter what you have been diagnosed with. You could have the common cold for all they care.

When you fill out the very long and extensive form you have to show why you are claiming for mobility and care needs. The decision maker will decide what you get according to what you have written, what docs and other health professionals might say and/or a medical.

It is not an easy process.
  • sherbie
    sherbie Posts: 775 Forumite
    Options
    Siusaidh wrote: »

elo, and welcome!:)

there are others on ere that know loads about applying etc, i only know about it thru personal experience, but i just wanted to say elo really!

the forms are a total nightmare, but you wont know unless you apply! itll be how ure various illnesses/disabilities affect you, and ure life, and what help you need. it doesnt matter whether you get the help or not (i think, now ive said it im not as sure!).

good luck!:)
    :hello:
  • wiccanlou
    Options
    I would suggest getting in contact with your local CAB for an appointment or D.I.A.L. as they can do home visits to help you fill out the forms and gather the necessary information that needs to be sent with the forms.
    Obviously with carpal tunnel syndrome I can imagine that it can be painful writing for any amount of time, having your elbow bent to write doesn't help with the pain, Fibro fogs your head up so sometimes you forget what you were writing about, or at least thats how it affects my bloke and then the stress of filling the forms out will possibly add to your BP elevation. So any help that you can get will be beneficial to your claim as it can be put in the form that someone else filled it in for you as you have trouble filling forms in for the aforementioned reasons.

Here are the links to the sites so you can find your local offices to enquire about a home visit.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

http://www.dialuk.info/findadial/index.asp
    well today was a complete waste of make up :eek:
  • formaldehyde_perfume
    Options
    It's unlikely that you would be successful for just the symptoms of fibromyalgia unless you can prove they are very severe, but if you include the rest of your physical problems my personal opinion is that you should make a claim. Before you do, please look up the descriptors (there are two classes, mobility and care) and see if they apply to you, if they do then make sure these are noted in your claim form. Include as much information as possible, write on another bit of paper if you have to, don't just tick the boxes because it's quicker. They need a full picture of what your day to day life is like, however depressing it is to see written down. Include any recent evidence you have (ideally in the past 6 months but a year old is acceptable) and make an appointment to see your GP and explain this as DLA will ask your GP about your condition and if your GP isn't up to date with your condition it will affect your claim.

Also, see if your local CAB will help you fill in the form as it can be very confusing to do yourself.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.nacc.org.uk/downloads/disability/AdultGuide.pdf - this is a very useful guide - not for FM specifically, but I would recommend it, as it sets the background and goes over a lot of the same area.
    I've got CFS - and have recently been awarded low-rate care/mobility.

I'm considering appealing, and am awaiting documents.
  • Jo_King
    Jo_King Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say apply, but be prepared for a hard slog. If you go to the fmauk board forums, you'll find advice there specifically about DLA and ESA for folk with FMS.

1) Get help filling in the forms -DIAL, CAB and others can help.

2) Talk it through with GP and consultants and physios and anyone else who helps you manage your condition - let them know what your problems are.

3) Submit as much medical information with your application as you possibly can - a GP's report, but also anything from anyone else that supports how your are describing your difficulties. In my experience, without support, DWP will assume your description of life with FMS is nonsense.

4) Avoid, if you possibly can, ATOS. You do this by giving the DWP as much evidence as you can, as early as you can. In my last ATOS medical I had to spell one of my conditions for the Dr, who also told me my condition, the swelling in my hands, the pain he confirmed I was in, were 'not possible'. I got turned down and despite detailed letters from consultants and my physio, the appeal panel turned me down, because they gave ATOS more weight. I think I'd probably have avoided that if I'd submitted the other evidence first.

5) If you are turned down at first, appeal. FMS has a hard time in the medical profession and I think we need to make our voices heard. The sheer stress and fatigue associated with the process can make pain worse, but I think things won't get better unless we keep trying.

Good luck!
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    In addition to what rogerblack has given you this is an example of the form you will need to fill in.

NOTE: it is only an example of the form with some fields filled in as examples of where / what to write as evidence.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • gingergee
    Options
    I applied for DLA in Dec 11. Fully expected to be turned down as all i heard were horror stories about claiming. CAB did my form with me. I have SLE, Hypertension, underactive thyroid and a kidney condition i cant spell. My SLE is quite severe tbh, and its causing loads of grief. I was awarded HRC HRM indefinately WITHOUT a medical!, last thursday. 1750 went in bank today!! I was shocked to say the least!!! But..... the woman from CAB told me, the cost of tribunals is costing a fortune, so they are accepting more at the min. I would defo apply, but dont go it alone. Im lucky, when they rang me last week they said they were shocked as a medical had been requested, but the decision maker told them not to be daft, it wouldnt help. My blood cant lie, my cells kill each other...simples. Good luck, try not too worry xx
    The feeling i got when i confirmed my place studying criminology at Exeter Uni was brilliant!!!!!

The pride my children told me they had in me was even better!!!!! # setting positive example to children is OUTSTANDING!!!! !:grouphug::grouphug::smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea:smileyhea
  • clairet1961
    clairet1961 Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I have fibro and claim DLA. My original claim was successful, awarding me LRC and HRM (plus car tax paid).
    I had to reclaim this year and have been awarded LRC but no mobility, i asked for a reconsideration but this has come back as still no difference in award.
    I don't really understand why my first claim was given for mobility side straight away, and yet this time with symptoms worse i have been turned down for mobility. I think it depends on who assesses your claim.
    On the form i put i can walk 0 metres without severe pain (true) yet no mobility award.
    I guess it is a long hard process but i will be appealing via tribunal as i feel i am entitled to mobility award. :)
    Smoke free since 30/01/13 :j
  • WillowMuse
    WillowMuse Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia too and was awarded HRM LRC, recently, i did not have to have an assesment as I had just had my atos reassesment for my ESA, they took that into consideration and my doctors notes ect when making the decision. It does not go on your diagnosis though, its how your condition effects your day to day activities, I can hardly walk without aid, im in that much pain and am currently awaiting appointments with a neurosurgeon for other problems. I did not think I would get it because of all the horror stories you hear and the wait for the decision was a nightmare but what have you got to loose really, they can only say yes or no cant they :) Good luck
    If your neighbour's grass is greener, its time to water your lawn!:rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure