Cancelling from Virgin Media - help needed please :)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
5 replies 1.9K views
cosmicflamecosmicflame Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
So I'm going to cancel.
Tomorrow I'm going to phone up and try to do it, do the big leap!

I have all the evidence, Virgin have increase my bills by £1.50 and so they'll let me cancel as it breaches their Terms and Conditions. Ok, the price increase isn't why I'm cancelling, it's the slow service I've been getting, but weirdly enough they won't let you cancel on that basis.

I've been reading here and quite a few people have jumped ship and cancelled with Virgin Media.

Can any guide me through the process?

So far I know that

You call 150, you select the cancel option and then I'm guessing you wait for someone to come on the line. You tell them you want to cancel, if they argue, you fight back witht ehir own Terms and Conditions. There's no way I can lose, they've breached their own rules!

So I'm confident, but after they say 'Ok, we'll cancel your contract' what happens?

When we switched from O2 to Virgin Media (big mistake) we recieved some MAC codes, which are codes used to switch ISPs.

Will we be getting these too?

Thanks!:j

Replies

• Kilty_2Kilty_2 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    I've just done this. As soon as I mentioned the price increase they knew what was coming.

Offered me a reduced price package (cheaper than I'm paying now) but I'm moving out anyway.

Was facing 3 months of disconnection charges so thanks Virgin :beer:

If you're not a cable customer than yes you will need a MAC to switch broadband providers. Cable customers do not need this because VM are the only provider of cable services!
  • So I'm going to cancel.
    Tomorrow I'm going to phone up and try to do it, do the big leap!

I have all the evidence, Virgin have increase my bills by £1.50 and so they'll let me cancel as it breaches their Terms and Conditions. Ok, the price increase isn't why I'm cancelling, it's the slow service I've been getting, but weirdly enough they won't let you cancel on that basis.

I've been reading here and quite a few people have jumped ship and cancelled with Virgin Media.

Can any guide me through the process?

So far I know that

You call 150, you select the cancel option and then I'm guessing you wait for someone to come on the line. You tell them you want to cancel, if they argue, you fight back witht ehir own Terms and Conditions. There's no way I can lose, they've breached their own rules!

So I'm confident, but after they say 'Ok, we'll cancel your contract' what happens?

When we switched from O2 to Virgin Media (big mistake) we recieved some MAC codes, which are codes used to switch ISPs.

Will we be getting these too?

Thanks!:j

Don't know what you mean.

If you unilaterally decide to cancel a contract with a provider of services then that's it. You cancel and the provider accepts your cancellation. End of.
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    VM have not 'broken' any T&C's. Your contract has nothing to do with your tariff and price increases are fully allowable. For consumer contracts, 10% is the usual ceiling for an increase like this - and a £1.50 montlhy increase sounds as though it's not even close to this. VM are allowing a 'waiver' than any customer affected by the increase to leave, which they can do if they wish, but it is not a requirement and not in answer to any criticism. You have only 30 days from receiving the increase letter to accept the no penalty departure, after that - the full fees are payable for an early termination.
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you may be on Virgin National ADSL, correct me if I'm wrong.
    If you just cancel you'll get a disconnection charge from BT passed on to you, around £30 IIRC.

The correct way of proceeding is to ring VM and obtain a MAC, arrange a contract with a new ISP and supply them with the MAC.
    When you are transferred cancel you contract with VM (should be automatic, but belt and braces do no harm)
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just left ADSL Virgin for Plusnet, in my case it was a near 60% price hike

They never argued, as Kilty posted I suspect they knew what was coming

The MAC number arrived, by e-mail in 24 hours, number passed to new ISP

Virgin ADSL did "pull the plug" a day early, so had no internet for a day, but for me that is not the end of my world

BTW the Virgin e-mail still works, receives any way, but best not to rely on this bit, I don't

BB change over was smooth and hassle free
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides