🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

skylight / velux window - need a pole but where?

Options
hello all,

I live in a terrace house and recently discovered the velux window (skylight) opens. Its on the top of my stairs, thought it would be great to open in the summer months when we are hot and sticky (well at least hot!!)

I have seen a 3 metre rod pole for £35.00(including P&P) from amazon.

anyone know of any cheaper poles to open a skylight roof window? need 3 metres, any suggestions let me know

thanks

Trinidad
Trinidad - The hottest place to go

Comments

• muskoka
    muskoka Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Options
    Make one - broom handle and screw a hook on the end i.e. cup type hook, but bigger.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got my Rod Control from here. There are two types depending on which type of Velux window you have. They've gone up in price since I bought mine two years ago but they're still discounted, it's a genuine Velux rod and service from the company was good.

If you have blinds on the windows and want to use the rod to open the blinds you'll need an adaptor for each blind as well.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    muskoka wrote: »
    Make one - broom handle and screw a hook on the end i.e. cup type hook, but bigger.

Will need two and join them. OP a 3m pole will not go down wll with courier companies so half that cost will probably be delivery.

Why not tie some rope/twine etc to the window which will give you something to hook. Probably as ugly as sin but worth a shot.
  • trinidadone
    Options
    muskoka wrote: »

i guess that seems to be the most perfect way to money save, unfortunantly the skylight is just under 3 metres high,
  • trinidadone
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    I got my Rod Control from here. There are two types depending on which type of Velux window you have. They've gone up in price since I bought mine two years ago but they're still discounted, it's a genuine Velux rod and service from the company was good.

If you have blinds on the windows and want to use the rod to open the blinds you'll need an adaptor for each blind as well.

thanks toms, i looked at both rods, but I think they are a bit short for my high rise skylight, i am looking for a 3 metre one in length
  • trinidadone
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    Will need two and join them. OP a 3m pole will not go down wll with courier companies so half that cost will probably be delivery.

Why not tie some rope/twine etc to the window which will give you something to hook. Probably as ugly as sin but worth a shot.

LOL, yes, i am sure the courier company would not be pleased, the pole i have seen on amazon is 3 metres, and reduced substationally (telescopic)

the sky light pushes outwards when open, if it pushed inwards a rope hanging would work well
  • bobthedambuilder
    Options
    How about an extending paint roller pole like this? http://www.screwfix.com/p/paint-roller-3-section-pole/10063.

You might need to make up some kind of hook etc to go on the end, but it's storable and cheap.
    A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove you don't need it.
  • trinidadone
    Options
    How about an extending paint roller pole like this? http://www.screwfix.com/p/paint-roller-3-section-pole/10063.

You might need to make up some kind of hook etc to go on the end, but it's storable and cheap.

thanks bob, looks interesting
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks toms, i looked at both rods, but I think they are a bit short for my high rise skylight, i am looking for a 3 metre one in length

IIRC they do an extension for the pole but I would imagine that would make it more expensive that the one you've seen on Amazon though.
  • *j*
    *j* Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Velux used to do a cord control.

It uses an operating rod approx 8-10 cm long which fits over the aluminium handle and a small pulley which screws to the top frame.

The cord comes with two plastic balls to fix to the ends of the cord. One dark grey and one light grey, so you know which is to open and which is to close the window.

If they don't still make them (mine is about 15-20 years old) you could probably make one with a bit of ingenuity.

*j*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family