4 replies 7.3K views
goingsenilegoingsenile Forumite
338 Posts
Part of the Furniture
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi
Just looking for some advice

I have been with virgin media for a long time and after searching around I deceiee to stay with them as the differnce of chane to O2 or Sky was 50p a month and I reckoned not worth the hassle

So on Tuesday I updated my services- new 18 month deal

Then I get a call from O2 today offering me exactly the same thing for £6 a month less for 12 months.

Phoned virgin to check what the cooling off period is and was advised 14 days-double checked 14 days or 14 working days- was told 14 days . So was going to research a bit more and make a decision on Monday

Have just called virgin back again to see if I could get them to lower the price and if not as within the cooling off period to cancel and I would change to O2

To be told no cooling off period as not a new contract just an extension!!

I'm not impressed. The call operator got the supervisor who was less than helpful and couldn't tell me which bit of the Distance Selling Regulation allow no cooling off period. he tried to say the cooling off period was for if something didn't work- I highlighted that was incorrect it was actually to allow period who have undertaken a transaction online to cancel if they changed their minds within 7 days.

I also pointed out that although it was not a new account it was a new contract as I was bound for 18 months.

All I got was the address for Customer complains!!!

I'd appreciate anyone's help on whether this is right or wrong

Thanks

AJ

Replies

• BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, it was not a new contract. You simply agreed to an upgrade and this came with a minimum term extension. There is no cooling off period, so whoever told you this was mistaken, but they cannot be held to it.

You can by all means complain, but the only way they will let you go is if they agree to a waiver, but I honestly doubt this will happen. Your research should have been completed and a formal course of action decided, you cannot push toothpase back into the tube!
  • robt_2robt_2 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buzby wrote: »
    No, it was not a new contract. You simply agreed to an upgrade and this came with a minimum term extension. There is no cooling off period, so whoever told you this was mistaken, but they cannot be held to it.

You can by all means complain, but the only way they will let you go is if they agree to a waiver, but I honestly doubt this will happen. Your research should have been completed and a formal course of action decided, you cannot push toothpase back into the tube!

That is irrelevant as Virgin Media DOES offer a cooling off period on contract renegotiations (even just changing your broadband speed). The OP has been fobbed off - suggest you contact them on Twitter for a quick resolution.
  • edited 27 February 2012 at 11:29AM
    goingsenilegoingsenile Forumite
    338 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    edited 27 February 2012 at 11:29AM
    robt wrote: »
    That is irrelevant as Virgin Media DOES offer a cooling off period on contract renegotiations (even just changing your broadband speed). The OP has been fobbed off - suggest you contact them on Twitter for a quick resolution.

Thanks for this, can you tell me what makes you think I may have a cooling off period. Are there any links to it on virgins website.

Thanks again for your help

AJ
  • If you change your package then virgin will send you a letter telling you what you have now got. On that letter it will state that you can cancel within 7 days and everything will return to what it was before. This happened when I renegotiated my mothers virgin package. It also says that the 7 days will count weekends and Bank Holidays. Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals