Moving to new flat

Options
Hi guys,

Please excuse me if some of the questions I am about to ask are a little basic - but this is an area I have little knowledge of!

I've just moved into a new flat in London and am arranging all the necessary utilities, including broadband. At the moment I haven't set up a basic telephone account because I want to do a bit of research first as to the best deal. However, I have a mobile with lots of free minutes, so I am not sure I even really need a landline, but I do want broadband.

Is it possible to get broadband without having a landline contract set up too? If not, does my broadband supplier have to be the same as the phoneline supplier? My previous flatmate set up the phone at my old place and we had a BT phone line and BT broadband, but that was costing us over £30 a month and I'm sure I can set this up more cheaply.

I've had a quick look at Talk Talk, and madasafish - but they asked me for my phone number, and of course I haven't got one yet!

I will also be wanting a wireless connection, but I assume that is irrelavent as far as choosing my provider is concerned.

Thanks,

Mr Chips
If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...

Comments

• lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    Hi

As far as I know you have to have a phone line. I have my mobile contract with Orange and my wireless broadband is £5 a month. Looks like virgin(was NTL) and Sky are also doing some good deals too.
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • jswaminathanuk
    Options
    Wish u lck in setteling down
    If virgin provides service to your area negotiate with them and only take broadband.
    i guess they have 9.99 for 12 mnths or try to negotiate for broadband + tv.
    for TV you can consider freeview.
    if virgin don't give you a good deal then visit quidco and join virgin through them they give 40£ (WARNING QUIDCO is not guarenteed as I havent got my £40 till dateover a year now) or as your telewest customer to refer you they will get £50 and you can share.
    you can consider rpoints as well I dont know how much they offer.
    If virginnmedia dont provide service to ur area then ask MSE experts they will get best deal. I am just learning to save money
    Cheers
    Swami
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family