B&Q Kitchen Quote

Options
Hi there,
I’ve been given a quote for a kitchen by B&Q.
The kitchen itself is three and a half grand but the installation is over seven (although this does include a new ring main). Does this seem fair to you guys?
I know an independent tradesman would be better value so I am also looking for any suggestions on how to find a good one, (checkatrade etc.). I live on the border of Surrey and South London (Morden).

Also with regards to finding an independent tradesman, will a builder be ok doing a kitchen because I will also need some building work(garage conversion) doing in the near future?

Thanks in advance for any answers.:beer:

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2 things:

1) £7k+ to fit a £3k kitchen (even if it does include electrical work) is simply outrageous. The fitter ill only be getting about one third of that. The rest just goes on b & q's bottom line. Remember they have already made a huge profit on selling the kitchen to you.

2) Look on here and other forums about the problems that people have with b & q installation. You will be alarmed.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    keeniow wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I’ve been given a quote for a kitchen by B&Q.
    The kitchen itself is three and a half grand but the installation is over seven (although this does include a new ring main). Does this seem fair to you guys?
    No its outrageous as phil says. How many units, appliances, worktop lengths are there? Bet its really less than £ 2k as a reasonable price including electrics.
    I know an independent tradesman would be better value so I am also looking for any suggestions on how to find a good one, (checkatrade etc.). I live on the border of Surrey and South London (Morden).
    Ask friends etc.
    Also with regards to finding an independent tradesman, will a builder be ok doing a kitchen because I will also need some building work(garage conversion) doing in the near future?
    No - all a builder will do is sub it out to a kitchen fitter and the two jobs are different. What sort of conversion? Into a habitable space, office, gym or what? If the structure is sound and the roof is sound that doesn't need a builder either.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even by the standard of company fits in London, that is ridiculous.
    So much for "we beat any quote". Obviously not on installs.

Suggest you look eslewhere, in fact anywhere else except Homebase who would probably charge you something similar for an install.
  • keeniow
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for those replies.

It looks like I will need to look around for a good kitchen fitter.

To Keystone with regards to the garage, it is sound as it's part of a Town House, I just need to have a door knocked through from the house and and a wall and window put at the front and the inside kitted out to make a habitable space, if that doesn't require a builder,
    who should I be looking for?
    I hope that's not a stupid question. Cheers.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you tell us where you live, somebody maybe able to recommend a fitter etc
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • verydeeppockets
    Options
    I know someone who recently bought a Wickes kitchen and was given an independent fitters number by the Wickes salesman - tells you all you need to know, and they did a damn good job, at a sensible price.
    Never, ever, use shed fitting teams. 7 grand??
    You'd get a better kitchen and far far better fitting through a decent independent fitting company supplied by a decent manufacturer - Crown is what we have, and it's better than anything I've seen in a shed.
    Have a go on the kitchen fitters forum - google it - you may be able to request help there. Rated people may be useful too, but the best way is local reommendation.
  • tobyjug
    tobyjug Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    We have recently ordered a kitchen.

Complex fitting job, cutting down cupboards etc to fit difficult chimney breast.

Wickes kitchen so flat packed. Cost of kitchen including appliances about £8000 so not small job

They wanted £2300 to fit had 2 quotes in from well recommened local fitters £1200 and £1500.
  • Steve_the_fitter
    Options
    Dont get a builder to fit your kitchen. Find yourself a kitchen fitter who will probably have a much better eye for detail. Also they well be able to get you a better kitchen for your money. £7 for install with electrics and everything else which goes with fitting a kitchen is way to much I imagine
  • paidinchickens
    paidinchickens Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    Options
    with installations they do not break it down on the quote for what costs what.

If you look it breaks down every item for the kitchen but not for the installation.

If you go back and ask for a screen shot of the price of installation you will be horrified. The price for taking off the existing tiles and taking them away, or taking out old kitchen and taking away this could easily save you a thousand or more.

Ask them for a breakdown I bet they try to fluff you off to say it can't be done ;)
  • cypheruk
    Options
    cant post referal links so just type in speakman joinery in google pretty good, B&Q dont seem to realise they cant keep charging thousands for installation then palm it off onto so called kicthen fitters who aint got a clue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure