How many competitions do you enter?

Options

Comments

• jennikitten
    Options
    cagsd wrote: »
    I definitely don't keep track, but I'd estimate it somewhere around 0.01%!!! :eek:

Haha, think that's better than me! Have you seen that US show about people who do it as a full-time job? They have to pay tax on the prizes they win and everything...
  • bugsbunny22
    bugsbunny22 Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Options
    I keep my wems in a notepad
  • mclarkie
    mclarkie Posts: 11,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Enough to be awarded the title "sad hopeful looser" :D
  • BFlying
    BFlying Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone limits themselves to a certain amount of comp entries a day? It's a time consuming hobby so at the moment, I'm at around 40 to 50 a day, although I try to do as much as I can. What do other MSE Compers do?
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    People enter anything from just one competition to several hundred a day.

Another thread here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3807277
  • BFlying
    edited 21 January 2014 at 5:36PM
    Options
    wow several hundred?? That's an awful lot. I guess the more you enter though, the more chance of winning. although there is plenty of time to do most of the comps on here before their closing dates. Thanks for the link
  • BFlying
    Options
    I haven't read all this thread, so don't know if it's been asked already, but how many comps do you think you could enter in an hour say?
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    BFlying wrote: »
    I haven't read all this thread, so don't know if it's been asked already, but how many comps do you think you could enter in an hour say?

It all depends on what type of comp they are. For example, I can whizz through the magazine dailies in about an hour - anything between 100 and 150 comps - as I normally have a few tabs open whilst the videos are playing. I am a bit picky about what I enter, so I find although I spend a long time on here "comping" a lot of that is reading the posts and then red X-ing them :( if I just entered comp after comp and they were all straightforward, it would probably be 50 to 100 in an hour using a form filler.
  • JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

That depends on a variety of things for me...

1) How automated the process for entry is - e.g. can I use Roboform to complete all boxes

2) How many pages I have to enter through - quicker comps are on a single page

3) Whether I need to login

4) Whether there's a Captcha to decipher

5) Whether the comp needs effort (e.g. a comment / to answer a question etc)

I can't put a general rule on this; I'd say the longest ones (if we forget about, e.g., surveys) take me 30 seconds to a minute, but most more like 20 seconds. I have multiple windows open, so I jump between screens, while waiting for, eg, the 'no thanks' questions to appear on the mag dailies.

That doesn't mean I can enter 180/hour though, probably more like 100 if I really go for it, as I obviously need to find the comps on the forum, read posts about them etc.

What takes up most of my time is trying to teach people how to alter their titles / stop self promoting / PM'ing BGs about merges... I am a stickler for the rules :rotfl:
  • jeddentad
    jeddentad Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone limits themselves to a certain amount of comp entries a day? It's a time consuming hobby so at the moment, I'm at around 40 to 50 a day, although I try to do as much as I can. What do other MSE Compers do?

I enter what I have time for, and I've altered how I comp to fit my schedule.

This means I enter a load on Saturday and Sunday morning, and during the week I mainly do dailies, and perhaps 10-15 new short time comps each day.

This means I can enjoy the fun of comping and not impact my life in a way I'd be unhappy with. (it's no fun to me if it's a chore)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure